Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irishman (Scorsese, De Niro, Pesci and Pacino)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Admittedly that one brief scene was woefully misjudged but I didnt hang my whole opnion of the film on it.

And neither did I... It's talked about most often as it is the most egregious example of why the de-aging didnt work. The micro of the macro if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

I knew all thesw actors were pushing 80 before I watched the movie, I wasnt ever expecting to forget this fact.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I knew all thesw actors were pushing 80 before I watched the movie, I wasnt ever expecting to forget this fact.

All of cinema is a facade, nobody's contesting or naive to that, but the film went out of its way to say "these are men in their prime", yet that facade broke each time they moved - or even raised their arms. It broke the spell too often for me, and an apt historical equivalent IMO are all those instances where actors are slathered in "old man" makeup, almost always looking fake and causing cracks in the facade. For similar, but reverse, reasons.

pixelburp wrote: »
    All of cinema is a facade, nobody's contesting or naive to that, but the film went out of its way to say "these are men in their prime", yet that facade broke each time they moved - or even raised their arms. It broke the spell too often for me, and an apt historical equivalent IMO are all those instances where actors are slathered in "old man" makeup, almost always looking fake and causing cracks in the facade. For similar, but reverse, reasons.

I can still enjoy those older films with dodgy effects if the story is told well though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I can still enjoy those older films with dodgy effects if the story is told well though.

So can I, and I enjoyed The Irishman, but I also hated the FX and attempts to convince me DeNiro was my age for chunks of the movie. It can be two things here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

One of the pivotal scenes in Goodfellas, the Lufthansa heist, is entirely based on Hills word that his crew were responsible for it as nobody was ever brought ro justice for it. "Based on true events" is something I never bought into in a Hollywood production because it's a movie, you want facts read a book. you could pick holes in all of the these films all day, eg JFK is mainly bull**** but still one of my all time favourites.

What part of “the stories were more convincing” are you not understanding? There may well be holes in their stories. But their motivations and why things happen in relation to them all make sense which wasn’t something I took from The Irishman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Jimmy Conway was the suspected mastermind of the Lufthansa heist by law enforcement from almost the start.

To my knowledge Frank Sheeran was never a suspect in being the triggerman in any mob murders until he claimed responsibility in his book for 30 or so killings.

There’s a bit of a difference in believeability of the two stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

And that's fine.

We know Chris Evans at the beginning of Captain America isn't really 5 foot 2, but they have body doubles, makeup, CGI and camera techniques that make it look that way.

There was nothing beyond some CG dewrinkling of the face to make 76 year old DeNiro look like a 25 year old. It's more akin to theatre than movie. If you can't be bothered making it believable, then why bother at all. Why not have a 25 year old body double or someone who looks like him, a la Rami Malek as Freddy Mercury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I have about 45 minutes of it to go and I'm enjoying it. Someone above said it's ponderous, I think it's a good description.
    I'm really enjoying Pacino in this, reminds me of Sylvio from The Sporanos. It was also fun seeing Pesci narrate a scene featuring a character he played in JFK.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Jimmy Conway was the suspected mastermind of the Lufthansa heist by law enforcement from almost the start.

To my knowledge Frank Sheeran was never a suspect in being the triggerman in any mob murders until he claimed responsibility in his book for 30 or so killings.

There’s a bit of a difference in believeability of the two stories.

+1

• Advertisement

Ipso wrote: »
    I have about 45 minutes of it to go and I'm enjoying it. Someone above said it's ponderous, I think it's a good description.
    I'm really enjoying Pacino in this, reminds me of Sylvio from The Sporanos. It was also fun seeing Pesci narrate a scene featuring a character he played in JFK.

‘Ponderous’ isn’t a complimentary term though.

Dots1982 wrote: »

Still unproven conjecture, again both are movies, Im not watching for truth, storytelling is what its all about.

‘Ponderous’ isn’t a complimentary term though.

Depends on context, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Its doesnt really, lol. What the hell is wrong with this thread?

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Its doesnt really, lol. What the hell is wrong with this thread?

Ha it goes both ways,plenty here defending their right to hate the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

It never does.

Ha it goes both ways,plenty here defending their right to hate the film.

Definitely worth pondering.

I loved the film for what it is,warts and all. Do people obsess over the minutiae of Marvel films as much on boards? If they dont then it's a testament to The Irishman.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Enjoyed it. Well produced. Watched in two sittings over two days.

America.....the only country in the world where you don’t have to be from Ireland to be Irish !!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,340 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

garbanzo wrote: »
    Enjoyed it. Well produced. Watched in two sittings over two days.

America.....the only country in the world where you don’t have to be from Ireland to be Irish !!

Or Italian!

• Advertisement

Or Italian!

Nobody is American in America I noticed, always a spiel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I loved the film for what it is,warts and all. Do people obsess over the minutiae of Marvel films as much on boards? If they dont then it's a testament to The Irishman.

Oh by god they do! :D:D

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Oh by god they do! :D:D

Haha ok, good thing to know, I thougt it was unique to this film, i dont generally follow film threads on this.

No, it’s a pejorative term. So for somebody to say they're enjoying it and they’re also finding it ponderous does not compute.

Is it possible that Ipso thought that 'ponderous' means that something makes you think, makes you ponder? Rather than its actual meaning which is quite negative.

I'm just trying to help with the important stuff here.

I meant it’s basically about someone reflecting and reminiscing about the past. It definitely didn’t have the brashness and swagger of Goodfellas, and I thought that worked

Is it possible that Ipso thought that 'ponderous' means that something makes you think, makes you ponder? Rather than its actual meaning which is quite negative.

I'm just trying to help with the important stuff here.

Probably, a common mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

Seen this twice now. Really surprised at how much more enjoyable it was second time. Especially considering I saw it in the cinema first.

Completely underestimated De Niros performance. He is phenomenal in the last 90 mins of this. The honour/award scene onwards is incredible cinema. Plenty of tension. I think the finale is am emotional an ending as Scorsese has ever achieved. That final shot.

Pesci deserves an Oscar. He is electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

El Duda wrote: »
    Seen this twice now. Really surprised at how much more enjoyable it was second time. Especially considering I saw it in the cinema first.

Same here. I liked it a lot the first time around in the cinema (bad sound aside), but I had minor issues with the epilogue. As in, it could have ended before it and it would have been enough. Watching it the second time around at home, that final act was probably one of my favourites in the entire movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Mr Regal

Still debatable if Sheeran did the work on Hoffa. Others have claimed it also.
    There was two characters I thought were totally wrong in regards to the actor's.

Chuckie O'Brien - He had black hair and was stout.
    Fat Tony Salerno - He was born old. The actor who played him looked ****. He was too young made up old.

Also in regardless of Goodfellas in a post above, ☝ Jimmy ( Conway) real name Jimmy Burke was of Dublin descent ! His mother was a Dublin gal! I'd love to know if there's any relations still over here in the old country.

Advertisement