Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do Australians hate the Irish?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Having spent nearly 2 years there i would say no there isn't a lot of hate towards Irish people. When i was working in regional Queensland i remember a guy coming home and telling me about the disgruntled farmer he was working for. "i asked for someone who could speak English !". Thought that was hilarious.

I did experience a lot of casual racism towards other races. Its a good thing we're white, have good English and an ability to blend into the background pretty well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I think it's fair to say dealing with anyone in any country who cannot understand you gives you the ****s.

Even a little ... But it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

What does this "bogon" word mean, is it Aussie slang?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Bogan.

Think this explanation and accompanying list captures their essence pretty well :)

http://thingsboganslike.com/about/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

Aussie slang for a skanger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

ambasite wrote: »
    Aussie slang for a skanger.
    There is also the Western Australian version called the CUB (cashed up bogan).

Here's Eric Bana with his bogan persona Poida!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Nice little sneaky edit, did you not get the reaction you wanted the first time?
    seachto7 wrote: »

But I would imagine if you're Irish and black, it might be a different story.

I would imagine it would be the same as being African and Black living in Ireland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

The Aussie wrote: »
    Nice little sneaky edit, did you not get the reaction you wanted the first time?

I would imagine it would be the same as being African and Black living in Ireland...

Ah c'mon now, lets not make this about how the Irish are a wee bit cagey about everyone that isn't Irish, or doesn't know someone that they know.
    This thread is for Aussie bashing, not for pointing out the parochial insecurities of the Irish;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

The Aussie wrote: »

You really believe that? Low Key casual racism?

Channel 7s recent tweet announcing their coverage of GAA games maybe wasn't cliched or condescending enough to the Irish?

There's an overbearing sense of smugness on this forum from Paddys and Aussies, but you'd expect no less I suppose.

Unable to accept any criticism or the idea that they are not the master race or not the best country in the world. "If ya don't like it, leave" approach.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Posts on this thread need to remain civil, or it'll be locked sharpish.

Attack the post, not the poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

You really believe that? Low Key casual racism?

Yes... Yes I do.

I didn't know you could work off a scale of racism, I thought either it was or it was not.
    Unable to accept any criticism or the idea that they are not the master race or not the best country in the world. "If ya don't like it, leave" approach.

Well you have a choice there don't you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Over heard an Aussie woman on her phone saying "yeah, like it's a holiday all over the world tomorrow".
    I think it's kinda quaint.

Advertisement