Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Australians hate the Irish?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Are we no longer doing the whole _attack the post, not the poster_ thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Nobody is attacking him.

just pointing out his bias, in that he had a negative experience in Australia, and that his is not necessarily an accurate portrayal of Aussie attitudes to Irish people, nor their approach to life in general.

I've no idea what Jonjo is like as a person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Mike747 wrote: »
    Translation: I'm an Irish bogan who spent his entire time in his GAA jersey getting wrecked with my mates. Why didn't the Aussies like me?
    FFS dont make me mod, I am full of chocolate. Less of the abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I don't think Australians hate the Irish, I find it the other way around a lot of Irish hate Aussies ...they resent not having the same work, immigration and citizen rights and it eats into them.

That's the type of answer a sterotypical Aussie would give... :rolleyes:

Let's just assume you are trolling.

Only for the amount of Irish and other nationalities over there on WHVs, most of the place would be f*cked.

I know plenty of people who have been to Australia, had a chance to stay on, left it, because they didn't like it. They have no interest in ever going back, and are doing quite well in Ireland and/or other countries. It's not the be all and end all as some would make it out.
    It is the be all and end all for a lot of people who might only have one specific avenue of work open to them and where Aus is the only option for them.

I know people over there now making good money, because it's their only option, and they are sticking it out for the money, and that's it.

I also know people over there who love it and have embraced the Aussie way of life.

But, you could move to France tomorrow and get everything you would get in Australia like food, culture, weather, surfing, better football, and better rugby.

There are other options folks. :)

But I have no problem with Australia. It's a fantastic country. Would I settle there? Yes. I could easily settle into the Aussie lifestyle, but I would go there only if I had to and am currently not ruling it out. I would prefer the South West of France.

But it's the arrogance such as the above post that puts me off Aussies. "We're the best at everything" type bullsh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

They even love my accent.

Really?

I find my accent doesn't work here like it does in the US/Uk etc..

(I have to rely on my dashing good looks)

• Advertisement

Sometimes I think it might be the gaudy yellow and green Donegal jersey tucked into a pair of brown or blue jeans, white crosshatch belt, with snow white trainers and a jarhead haircut is the biggest downfall of the Paddy abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

top madra wrote: »
    Really?

Really? Aussie women regularly comment on my accent. It doesn't really work as effectively in places with high concentrations of irish people (St Kilda, Perth etc) but I always get women swooning over my irish accent. Even my male aussie friends have told me not to open my mouth if they're chatting to a woman. I say this as an average looking guy too, I'm no Colin Farrell!

I think the key is not to make yourself look like an Irish person. Try and blend in with the locals Do it by stealth. Then when you are in conversation and hit the ladies with your toora loora diddlee eye accent, they'll go for you like flies to sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I'm here nearly 4 years and have only met 2 people who had a problem with me because I was Irish. But I think it was more that I was not Australian rather than specifically Irish.

Once at work in the smoko room a heap of lads were giving out about "the foreigners" and asked me my opinion. Pointing out to them I was a foreigner they said "ah ya but you're the good kind." I've encountered that a few times I will say.

Work hard, don't be a d1ck, and you'll get on fine. They really do embrace the "fair go" idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

seachto7 wrote: »

An Aussie wouldn't even see it buddy it's completely out of their league, you should have read Irish People living in Australia Facebook page when they changed the 457 rules last year you and would understand the hate and resentment. Didn't half make me laugh.

Not sure what the rest of your post was about, wasn't anything relevant.

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    An Aussie wouldn't even see it buddy it's completely out of their league, you should have read Irish People living in Australia Facebook page when they changed the 457 rules last year you and would understand the hate and resentment. Didn't half make me laugh.

Not sure what the rest of your post was about, wasn't anything relevant.

I'd say it's a small percentage of Irish who actually give a f*ck what Aussies do or don't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I remember being called a Tan by an Irish bogan when I said I had no problem working with Polish. Haters are going to hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

But it's the arrogance such as the above post that puts me off Aussies. "We're the best at everything" type bullsh*t.

Yeh.... You do know he is Irish don't you.

It actually does come across as you have a problem with Australians, you say you don't have a problem with Australia but its obvious you have a issue with its inhabitants.

Let's just assume you are trolling.

Can we just say that we don't have to assume with your post and save time, that'd be great thanks.

The Aussie wrote: »
    Yeh.... You do know he is Irish don't you.

It actually does come across as you have a problem with Australians, you say you don't have a problem with Australia but its obvious you have a issue with its inhabitants.

Can we just say that we don't have to assume with your post and save time, that'd be great thanks.

Some Australians. Not all, but some. Thankfully it was very much in the minority.

I do know he's Irish, but I'm not sure what he was getting at in his post. Maybe he could explain it. He seems to think that every Paddy that rocks over is doing their utmost to stay.

I'm sure there are a lot like that, but a lot more who just see it as a working holiday. A pi55 up and a bit of craic and a chance to see a country on the other side of the world.

But, no, I don't think Australians hate the Irish, seeing as a good whack of them are of Irish descent. If anything, I saw the English get more abuse over there.

But I would imagine if you're Irish and black, it might be a different story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Never had an issue. Aussies are sometimes loud, brash and obnoxious. Us Irish seem to have problems with strong willed nationalities at times hence the "They must hate us" if they are not blowing smoke up your ass like many Americans can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

top madra wrote: »
    Really?

But I have the advantage of a beautiful South Walian tone. Plus there's not many of us so a bit of a novelty.

The accent does help although I've been told by a few Aussies that they were surprised I was Irish as they could understand me perfectly whereas the they couldn't understand the scots and Irish they were working with.

However when I start talking with another Irish person I can see Aussies starting to struggle, one even asked us if we were talking Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Been here close to 4 years. I've had the occasional "what are you doing here stealing our jobs and our wimmins", but I reckon you will get that in any country you go to. I heard enough Irish saying it about the Polish back home.

I have made a few Aussie mates and they genuinely are the salt of the
    earth. Its surprising how much we have in common with them.

You don't have to worry about Australians hating us in Sydney, you'd
    be hard pushed to find an Australian here these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

I've been here nearly 4 months now and I find the Aussies to be very friendly and down to earth. I worked in construction for the first 3 months here and I actually got on better with all the Aussie lads than the Irish lads (Mainly arrogant & Ignorant @rseh#les I had to work with for some reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

Really? Aussie women regularly comment on my accent. It doesn't really work as effectively in places with high concentrations of irish people (St Kilda, Perth etc) but I always get women swooning over my irish accent. Even my male aussie friends have told me not to open my mouth if they're chatting to a woman. I say this as an average looking guy too, I'm no Colin Farrell!

I'll have to give it more time so, maybe it's my Wessssst of Ireland accent :)

As for this thread, I find all the Aussies I know and work with to be sound sure sometimes they rip the piss out of me about my accent but it's only good humour.

I think they're assholes in every country but if you're a asshole too you'll meet them sooner.

At the end of the day, Aussies, British and the Irish are very alike and it's only natural we all get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Having spent nearly 2 years there i would say no there isn't a lot of hate towards Irish people. When i was working in regional Queensland i remember a guy coming home and telling me about the disgruntled farmer he was working for. "i asked for someone who could speak English !". Thought that was hilarious.

I did experience a lot of casual racism towards other races. Its a good thing we're white, have good English and an ability to blend into the background pretty well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I think it's fair to say dealing with anyone in any country who cannot understand you gives you the ****s.

Even a little ... But it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

What does this "bogon" word mean, is it Aussie slang?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Bogan.

Think this explanation and accompanying list captures their essence pretty well :)

http://thingsboganslike.com/about/

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

Aussie slang for a skanger.

ambasite wrote: »
    Aussie slang for a skanger.
    There is also the Western Australian version called the CUB (cashed up bogan).

Here's Eric Bana with his bogan persona Poida!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Nice little sneaky edit, did you not get the reaction you wanted the first time?

But I would imagine if you're Irish and black, it might be a different story.

I would imagine it would be the same as being African and Black living in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Nice little sneaky edit, did you not get the reaction you wanted the first time?

I would imagine it would be the same as being African and Black living in Ireland...

Ah c'mon now, lets not make this about how the Irish are a wee bit cagey about everyone that isn't Irish, or doesn't know someone that they know.
    This thread is for Aussie bashing, not for pointing out the parochial insecurities of the Irish;)

You really believe that? Low Key casual racism?

Channel 7s recent tweet announcing their coverage of GAA games maybe wasn't cliched or condescending enough to the Irish?

There's an overbearing sense of smugness on this forum from Paddys and Aussies, but you'd expect no less I suppose.

Unable to accept any criticism or the idea that they are not the master race or not the best country in the world. "If ya don't like it, leave" approach.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Posts on this thread need to remain civil, or it'll be locked sharpish.

Attack the post, not the poster.

Advertisement