Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Australians hate the Irish?

Options
  • 20-04-2014 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I was in Australia a few years ago and never had any trouble at all. Apart from one old guy in a pub, everyone was really nice. I'm now hoping to go back again next year.

I was speaking to two different people that have come home recently from working over there, and they maintain that the Australians hate the Irish. When I first heard it, I thought it was just one disgruntled person who just didn't fit in. But when I heard it for the second time, it got me wondering whether the Australians are finally fed up with the antics of some that label the rest.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Scaglietti

They don't hate the irish but they dislike travellers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Scaglietti wrote: »
    They don't hate the irish but they dislike travellers

Doesn't everybody hate travellers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Scaglietti

As far as I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Shy Ted wrote: »
    What's everyone's thoughts on this?

Clearly George Bush's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

I have lived in Oz for over 4 years and have never felt any hate towards me. They think we are good workers and friendly, obviously if you come here with a bad attitude thats what you will find in return

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Haven't had an ounce of abuse for being Irish here, in fact in west australia it's a bonus as nearly half the place has Irish ancestors. I've been told on a few occasions we were very welcome and more of our type were needed as there were too many blacks.

Not getting on with Australians doesn't mean they hate you, as far as I can see most are pretty friendly and the ones who aren't are like that with everyone. Then there's the racists but as I already mentioned they'll consider an Irish person a fresh recruit against the asian invasion and whatever ethnic/religious group is been singled out by the media on any particular week.

Edit to add: I forgot to mention the boat people, mentioning refugees can really rile some Aussies up, especially when you mention their ancestors coming in boats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Over 10,000 people marched down Sydney road after Jill meaghers murder. It was no secret she was Irish.

There are no shortage of ass holes in oz but they are not the majority by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Not in my experience.

I find all of Aussie friends and colleagues pretty apathetic about where you come from, as long as you are decent person and treat them well you'll get same in return.

Of course, as others mentioned, there are w@nkers in every country but wouldn't judge the general populace by few of those, which sounds like what your mates are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

No, but Australians have no time for w@nkers, there is a strong chance that your friends are Tiger Cubs, I would blame their parents who gave them a undeserved sense of entitlement that the world owes them something that has to be earnt and not given, don't worry though the Bogan Brats in Oz are cut from the same cloth...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

The Aussie wrote: »
    there is a strong chance that your friends are Tiger Cubs
    I wouldn't say they're tiger cubs, but its probably more likely that their personalities or personal situations prevented them from fitting in.

One of them was working two years on a mine and never travelled the country at all. He was there purely for the work.
    I guess if you're working flat out for two years in arse end of nowhere, you probably would resent the place.
    The other lad was very keen to come home so he mightn't have fitted in.

I must admit, the coincidence of two of them saying the same thing did get me nervous.
    Thanks for the responses.

• Advertisement

Shy Ted wrote: »

One of them was working two years on a mine and never travelled the country at all. He was there purely for the work.
    I guess if you're working flat out for two years in arse end of nowhere, you probably would resent the place.
    The other lad was very keen to come home so he mightn't have fitted in.

I must admit, the coincidence of two of them saying the same thing did get me nervous.
    Thanks for the responses.
    Plenty of Aussies end resenting mining after a few years, it's known as the marriage breaker here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Well we don't like when foreigners come over here for jobs, why would they like it over there?
    And, Irish people going over there getting themselves hammered and making a show of themselves, is why some oz don't like Irish. So it's our own fault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

catbear wrote: »
    Haven't had an ounce of abuse for being Irish here, in fact in west australia it's a bonus as nearly half the place has Irish ancestors. I've been told on a few occasions we were very welcome and more of our type were needed as there were too many blacks.

Not getting on with Australians doesn't mean they hate you, as far as I can see most are pretty friendly and the ones who aren't are like that with everyone. Then there's the racists but as I already mentioned they'll consider an Irish person a fresh recruit against the asian invasion and whatever ethnic/religious group is been singled out by the media on any particular week.

Edit to add: I forgot to mention the boat people, mentioning refugees can really rile some Aussies up, especially when you mention their ancestors coming in boats.

Pity any black Irish who go over. That would probably confuse the average Aussie.

Well we don't like when foreigners come over here for jobs, why would they like it over there?
    And, Irish people going over there getting themselves hammered and making a show of themselves, is why some oz don't like Irish. So it's our own fault
    Actually I've had it said to me that the sloppy Irish drunks are preferable to the aggressive steroid pumped aussie ones!
    Your average Aussie has more time time for the emigrant who has to pay their way than the scrounging anti social bogan who'd rather not work at all.

catbear wrote: »
    Your average Aussie has more time time for the emigrant who has to pay their way than the scrounging anti social bogan who spends all available cash on tattoos and pimping his "truck" while his family lives in abject poverty, who'd rather not work at all.

Just added a bit there, hope you don't mind...

The Aussie wrote: »
    Just added a bit there, hope you don't mind...
    So true, so depressingly true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I noticed a trend sometimes in Australia where they would make jokes about the Irish or other nationalities, not to be nasty, but genuinely just not believing they are causing any offence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

As ive said before the aussies have a serious problem with people from other countries, in general very racist ignorant macho culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

seachto7 wrote: »
    I noticed a trend sometimes in Australia where they would make jokes about the Irish or other nationalities, not to be nasty, but genuinely just not believing they are causing any offence.

Happens here as well.

I spent a year in Aus and am currently awaiting visa confirmation to go back again for at least 4 years. I'd have to say Aussies are some of the best people I've found anywhere. Up for a laugh, witty and generally bright.

They do casual racism like the best of them. I've never had any ill feeling towards me because I am Irish though, few Irishman jokes, booze jokes but realistically its all meant in pure jest. I find they take you for what you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

As ive said before the aussies have a serious problem with people from other countries, in general very racist ignorant macho culture.

I wouldn't tar them all with the one brush, but as I posted above, they might make jokes about the Irish that you might have had to put up with in England in 1985, but they're still at it, and thinking it's funny. I have had that on occasion, but in general I found the cities to be pretty good, a lot more multicultural than anywhere in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I've found no racism at all towards any white immigrants. They even love my accent.

Asians on the other hand is a different matter.

I work in an Aged Care Residence, you should hear some of the views of the oldies towards anyone of different skin colour. Especially the ones suffering with dementia, there is no filter what so ever.

#yawn...

Get back to me when you beat a different drum, or get over the fact that you wanted to spend a second year in Australia but failed at that simple task and got the boot, maybe if you went about attaining your second year visa in a Legal manner you might have spent a second year in a Australia and not have acquired a chip on your shoulder for life.

Looking forward to your response. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I spend 3 months there and not one person said anything about us being Irish, very multicultural place,
    My brother had a supervisor on a farm say, Cassowarys are like the Irish just don't look them in the eye and they will leave you alone:), he didn't realise my brother was Irish when he said it, but he was only messing, everyone thought it was hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

sugarman wrote: »
    I'd imagine its much like here with Polish/other eastern Europeans

Why do the Irish insist on calling Poland an Eastern European country?

'Poland officially the Republic of Poland (Polish: Rzeczpospolita Polska), is a country in Central Europe, bordered by Germany to the west; the Czech Republic and Slovakia to the south; Ukraine, Belarus to the east; and the Baltic Sea and Kaliningrad Oblast (a Russian exclave) and Lithuania to the north.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

'Poland officially the Republic of Poland (Polish: Rzeczpospolita Polska), is a country in Central Europe, bordered by Germany to the west; the Czech Republic and Slovakia to the south; Ukraine, Belarus to the east; and the Baltic Sea and Kaliningrad Oblast (a Russian exclave) and Lithuania to the north.

Sorry if it was east of the Berlin Wall it's bloc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Because its in Eastern Europe mostly.

http://goeasteurope.about.com/od/easterneuropedestinations/ss/Countries-Of-Eastern-Europe.htm

http://answers.ask.com/Society/Government_and_Law/what_countries_are_in_eastern_europe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Strange given that 26% of Aussie citizens were born overseas and 20% have at least one foreign born parent. Must be a lot of latent self-loathing going on here that I have missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

JONJO THE MISER has a serious problem with Aussies.
    He went there and they didn't like him.
    He has now taken to bagging them out whenever there is a possibility of anything positive being said about them.

I think that the fact that they have taken in 50,000 a year of our best, worst, prettiest and ugliest and given them a chance to earn a crust and have a life for themselves flies in the face of the supposed hatred.

Most people that encountered animosity found it because they acted the fcukwit. Behavior that most Aussies have a pretty low tolerance for.

Yes, they do crack jokes at our expense, but mostly to test our sense of humor. You'll find that if you give them a serve straight back, they'll share the laugh. That isn't hatred, it's just their way, Much like the Irish propensity for the shneer.

Ignore Jonjo, bring your manners, and Aussies will be some of your best mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I don't think Australians hate the Irish, I find it the other way around a lot of Irish hate Aussies ...they resent not having the same work, immigration and citizen rights and it eats into them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

Translation: I'm an Irish bogan who spent his entire time in his GAA jersey getting wrecked with my mates. Why didn't the Aussies like me?

Advertisement