Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI allowing genetic testing already?

Options
  • 03-11-2018 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭

Did I just wake up to a dystopia or something? :confused:

So based on an ad I just saw, VHI are now being allowed to use genetic testing just like that? There's no controversy, no mass protests, no big placards? No ethics and regulations committees, no dail debates? Where's the protesting? Not even a debate? :confused:

Isn't this the sort of thing being feared of happening for decades? It seems like we're just sleepwalking into a eugenics based-society. This is going to result in both suffering and the eventual wiping out of all of all our genes. It all seems like another tool in the armoury of the haves and have-nots. For pity's sake, think about what you are giving away.

I have a major dislike of health insurance companies, particularly VH1, but this seems to be just taking the piss.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Which ad? Any link?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I have not heard of this?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Which ad? Any link?

As if a nice old man is going to be talking about genetic superiority.

Where is the controversy and argument over this? Are Irish regulators really so dumb that they just allow this without thinking much about it?! Wouldn't be surprised if there was a revolving door system or something similar going on. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Crush the weak, I like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I dont understand, what are they testing people for? And what are they attempting to do with the results? How is it eugenics?

Eugenics is a very loaded term because of its use during much less equal times in history, if it means eliminating horrible illnesses for future generations then so what

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

i am sure they are doing it so they can charge you more and share all the genetic material with law enforcement agencies.

Big brother is coming - tesco know what you have for dinner vhi know your genetic potential and when youll die face book know what you do & who your friends are. Google and your smart phone knows where you go and how you think. alexa listens to all your conversations your tv is spying on you too every digital photo can be attributed to you ..... we are no longer FREE.

Prison planet bring on the apocalypse..........:(

wakka12 wrote: »
    I dont understand, what are they testing people for? And what are they attempting to do with the results? How is it eugenics?

The way it is now everyone goes to a health insurance provider with a clean slate - everyone takes an equal proportion of the risk so has an equal price, based on their age, occupation, family history and a few other factors - this is all kind of repulsive as well if you ask me, we should be treated as equally as is feasibly possible, especially when it comes to health.

Now they're taking it further and putting out genetic testing, so depending on what genes you have, you get a higher or lower premium to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Peter Casey must be a major shareholder. Im loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

When my mother was diagnosed with cancer they did investigations to see if it was a genetic form of cancer, if it had been me and my sister would have been offered testing. This was nearly 10 years ago and on the public system. Its not new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

It's for hereditary cancers. Handy to know if you're at risk, but also hope the insurance industry doesn't use it to load premiums.

• Advertisement

When my mother was diagnosed with cancer they did investigations to see if it was a genetic form of cancer, if it had been me and my sister would have been offered testing. This was nearly 10 years ago and on the public system. Its not new.

If it's the public system it wouldn't have affected you financially? Yes the testing has been around, but not the routine loading of premiums depending on your genes as far as I'm aware. This seems like a new age we're entering into where lucky people get even wealthier.

Instinctively, the op is probably correct and the control and use of this sort of testing should concern us all.

However, I would like to have the knowledge about my genes and inherited conditions that could help make better decisions at some point in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

If it's the public system it wouldn't have affected you financially? Yes the testing has been around, but not the routine loading of premium's depending on your genes as far as I'm aware. This seems like a new age we're entering into where lucky people get even wealthier.

Good point. I wonder though would the labs who do the testing be precluded from sharing the info with insurers under doctor patient confidentiality rules?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Even worse is the casual 'Ancestry' research type companies, they may keep your lovely spit for a decade or so, and sell it on to bigPharma if they so feel inclined.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/dna-testing-delete-your-data-23andme-ancestry-2018-7

Even worse is the casual 'Ancestry' research type companies, they may keep your lovely spit for a decade or so, and sell it on to bigPharma if they so feel inclined.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/dna-testing-delete-your-data-23andme-ancestry-2018-7

And frightening undiscovered murderers, who find police calling to their door because a relative did a DNA test and it's close to that of their chief suspect.

DNA profiles from ancestry websites helped identify the Golden State Killer suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

And frightening undiscovered murderers, who find police calling to their door because a relative did a DNA test and it's close to that of their chief suspect.

DNA profiles from ancestry websites helped identify the Golden State Killer suspect

You read my mind or DNA!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Is this about direct to consumer genetic testing, or is it about healthcare provider regulated genetic testing ?

- appears legislation in EU varies on this, some countries are more protected than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Instinctively, the op is probably correct and the control and use of this sort of testing should concern us all.

However, I would like to have the knowledge about my genes and inherited conditions that could help make better decisions at some point in the future.

Me too#.

Ah the good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yeah to be used to find cures, how awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Did I just wake up to a dystopia or something? :confused:

So based on an ad I just saw, VHI are now being allowed to use genetic testing just like that? There's no controversy, no mass protests, no big placards? No ethics and regulations committees, no dail debates? Where's the protesting? Not even a debate? :confused:

Isn't this the sort of thing being feared of happening for decades? It seems like we're just sleepwalking into a eugenics based-society. This is going to result in both suffering and the eventual wiping out of all of all our genes. It all seems like another tool in the armoury of the haves and have-nots. For pity's sake, think about what you are giving away.

I have a major dislike of health insurance companies, particularly VH1, but this seems to be just taking the piss.

Eugenics? Wiping out genes?
    At least you didn’t get hysterical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

its fcuking Gattaca

Run for the hills!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Hoboo wrote: »
    Peter Casey must be a major shareholder. Im loving it.

Is he the new stock reply to everything?

Who shot JFK? Peter Casey HAHAHA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

This is going to result in both suffering and the eventual wiping out of all of all our genes.
    It is?
    I have a major dislike of health insurance companies, particularly VH1
    Why? And why particularly VH I (not 1)?
    i am sure they are doing it so they can charge you more and share all the genetic material with law enforcement agencies.

Big brother is coming - tesco know what you have for dinner vhi know your genetic potential and when youll die face book know what you do & who your friends are. Google and your smart phone knows where you go and how you think. alexa listens to all your conversations your tv is spying on you too every digital photo can be attributed to you ..... we are no longer FREE.

Prison planet bring on the apocalypse..........:(
    Thought you were joking at first. All of the above of course is being forced on you.

Love tinfoil hatters.

And to answer the OP's question as to why there isn't uproar - nobody is being forced into it, and people didn't know about it, just like you didn't until you saw the ad only yesterday.

What's this stuff too about the gap between the haves and have nots? Damn those people on good money who worked their asses off for years to get there eh?

Don't get saucy with me Gimme A Pound, I was going to answer some of your questions but you're too sarcastic and nonsensical. Make sure you have a right laugh to yourself with your head in the sand in your delusions as other people are trying to go over real issues in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Sarcastic yes, nonsensical no.

None of this is being forced on anyone by this private company - why the confidence that this means doom? And why do you bring up on this and another thread the haves and have nots? What's the relevance?

Ireland is not like America. Crooks aside, people who make a lot of money work extremely hard for it. Money doesn't just land at your feet. And they pay a good chunk of tax. There is a social welfare system which ensures far better support than in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I can see the OPs point to a degree. If they use this to load premiums I'm against it. I already have to pay for everyone else to have medical cover for their pregnancies and children, even though I don't ever intend on having them, but tough, I have to pay it to make it more affordable for people who make that choice. I don't trust health insurance companies, but good thing we have the GDPR, so after your genetic test you can tell them to delete everything to do with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It is?

Why? And why particularly VH I (not 1)?

Maybe he's confused and its actually the music channel he hates.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The Disability Act 2005 covers genetic testing, though I'm not sure that the 'regulations' under the Data Protection Acts envisaged have ever come through:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2005/act/14/enacted/en/print#part4

I'm fairly sure that the review of that section of the Act by 2014 hasn't come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Patww79 wrote: »
    Is he the new stock reply to everything?

Who shot JFK? Peter Casey HAHAHA.

Some people seem to think it was me. I have been asked a few times where I was when he was shot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I do see the issue if they use it to decline claims for stuff that could have been a genetic predisposition and that opens up a whole can of worms

Advertisement