Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Callum Chat/Non Technical Discussion (Including Travel)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Kiith wrote: »
    So it should mostly miss us? Or is North earlier than expected bad?

I'd say it'll still get fairly rough!

My comment is based purely on this: https://twitter.com/JointCyclone/status/1050403073015844868?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

So will we have a red warning?

12Z GFS showing a slight upgrade for the W, but a downgrade for the secondary event in the SE & E later in the day. The smaller low is further east with the associated winds out in the Irish sea.

21-289UK_xgh5.GIF

27-289UK_gfe2.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

dodo mommy wrote: »

Omg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

For the 50th time, probably not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

davo2001 wrote: »
    For the 50th time, probably not.

Will we have a red warning though?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very much doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

For the 51th time probably not

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I wonder, will we? My friends sisters daughter's friend lives beside a tree and she's wondering if she can take the day off school without being arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Well if its a red warning I think its best I stay away from work. For a month. Just to be safe.

Class. But this is terrifying.

/whistles cheerily...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

The statement said: "Schools and all education centres (universities, IoTs and further education centres) in areas affected by a status orange alert should remain vigilant, and keep themselves appraised of any hourly and other updates from Met Éireann, and from their local authorities, local radio, and an Garda Síochána.

"In all events, and if in any doubt, schools should err on the side of caution. Schools are empowered to make closure decisions if, in their judgment in the interests of child safety, it is prudent to do so.
    "Any and all decisions about school closures will be informed by, as well as prevailing and predicted conditions, any damage that might have been caused to school buildings overnight or at any time during the storm, and whether such damage, - where it exists, - might present a risk to child safety.
    "We will continue to monitor the situation as it progresses and will follow any advice from the National Emergency Coordination Group."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

When is Boards.ie due to go offline?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    When is Boards.ie due to go offline?

When the red warnings come.............................

• Registered Users Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

ZX7R wrote: »
    When the red warnings come.............................

Once a month so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Once a month so

As long as it's a week day ,get to stay at home with pay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

How bout a darker shade of orange almost like red ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

Wexford co co preparing for apocalypse :)

Wexford County Council’s Crisis Management Team met earlier today to review preparedness for Storm Callum. The meeting was attended by senior staff of the Council and also by representatives of an Garda Siochana.

A range of public safety issues were discussed, including flooding, road maintenance, water services, shelter for vulnerable and homeless persons, safety of piers, harbous and coastal areas, electricity supply issues, and public information.

Wexford County Council has considerable experience in managing severe weather events and we wish to assure the public that we taking all steps necessary to ensure public safety and minimise disruption during this severe weather event. Our preparations to date include:

· Erection of flood defence barriers in Wexford, New Ross, Arthurstown and Ballyhack
    · Filling and stockpiling of 5000 sandbags for use if required in Enniscorthy and Wexford County Council
    · Civil Defence personnel and equipment placed on standby
    · Continuous cleaning of gullies and shores to minimise local flooding
    · Additional call centre staff on standby to deal with emergency calls
    · Fire Services and local emergency crews placed on standby
    · Provision of additional beds at Ozanam House, Wexford, to accommodate persons currently “sleeping rough”
    · Contact with ESB Networks in the interest of continuity of electricity supply to key public infrastructure

Storm Callum and the associated Orange Weather warning is a significant weather event and the public should not be complacent in their preparations for the storm, with the most severe weather forecasted to pass through Wexford between 10am tonight and 9am tomorrow.

As the storm approaches, Wexford County Council offers the following key public information messages

· Avoid unnecessary travel, especially at the height of the storm.
    · If you must travel, exercise extreme caution - Expect the unexpected - especially localised flooding, falling/fallen debris and on-coming vehicles veering across the road.
    · Stay away from the coast and from exposed piers, harbours and cliffs during the storm Do not risk your own life or the lives of the emergency services who may have to attempt to rescue you, by visiting these areas.

For more updates from Wexford County Council, see @Wexfordcoco (Twitter), visit our website www.wexfordcoco.ie and stay tuned to TV and local radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Ha this is where the idiots,myself included get sent to discuss the weather when there’s a storm on.barred from the real weather forum.its like being back at school all over.
    Who wants an apple

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

Well where I live has it's own climate. I run my own weather show, with knitted socks puppets based on the posts here. Have stocked up and knitted large tarpaulin to put over house to.keep it warm and snug...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Anyone know what Are Lingus flights have been cancelled?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I would be more concerned about weakened/partially uprooted trees from Ali. Some partially uprooted aren't visible from the naked eye, I would say some of these can come down. While Callum doesn't look to be as severe as Ali, there could be equal amount of wind damage due to this.

Also Callum is bringing a lot more rain. After Friday its looking torrential in places going into Saturday. Localized flooding inland is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

A BLACK MAN FOLLOWS ME EVERYWHERE WHEN IT'S SUNNY OUTSIDE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

engiweirdo wrote: »
    A BLACK MAN FOLLOWS ME EVERYWHERE WHEN IT'S SUNNY OUTSIDE.

Does he bust the same moves as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

Eod100 wrote: »
    Anyone know what Are Lingus flights have been cancelled?

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Does he bust the same moves as you.

He does. I call him "Leon".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

But will it be a Redder shade of Orange, Y'know sort of Amber?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Hmmph. No Callumity puns yet. :(

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

Gutters cleared (from the mulch of several previous storms), car moved.. about sorted for storm now.

Been a lovely day, although not as breezeless as other places have been reporting. The clouds are scudding along towards the northeast though.

South coast of co. Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Will my Wheely bin be safe under my trampoline?

Advertisement