Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peter Casey's beliefs of Travellers' ethnicity Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Anyone see Caseys tweet on travellers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

No

What did he say?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

I only heard Joe Duffy mention it at 2.55. Checked Casey's Twitter and no sign of said tweet.
    Apparently a video involving travellers.

Cue gratuitous tut-tutting from Joe Duffy

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Uncharted wrote: »
    I only heard Joe Duffy mention it at 2.55. Checked Casey's Twitter and no sign of said tweet.
    Apparently a video involving travellers.

Cue gratuitous tut-tutting from Joe Duffy

:rolleyes:

Is it the one a few pages back?
    More a dig at the late late than travellers

Just looking now something about a video being deleted

Funny these are some of Caseys tweets

"We are all one nation and one people. I don't separate one group over another. I beleive we are all Irish #latelate

I have no animosity towards travellers. To say I was victimizing them is incorrect #latelate

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Is it the one a few pages back?
    More a dig at the late late than travellers

Bottom of page 125. Comedy gold

Peter Casey's former PR firm says it has nothing to do with Traveller video he tweeted
    PR firm Bannerton says the video was “mistakenly retweeted” by its account.

https://www.thejournal.ie/peter-casey-tweet-bannerton-4339395-Nov2018/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

This is the video that was tweeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Maybe you're not asking in the right place? My own thoughts are that there's good and bad in terms of what might be called 'traveller culture'.

Some of the good points are:
    - very close family units
    - 'traditional' values
    - some traveller families kept oral story telling and traditional music traditions alive when they were unpopular with official Ireland
    - live more lightly on the earth in terms of use of resources over lifetime, compared to many settled people.

Some bad points are:
    - many seem to have a total disregard for responsible disposal of their rubbish.
    - petty thieving and fighting
    - women have more constrained roles
    - little effort made to contribute to society as a whole and help support the state.

On the whole these days, I think it's fair to say that travellers are being slowly subsumed into settled society and there's no real need or value to preserve whatever value once existed. Indeed the very idea of investing additional money in their 'culture' is counter productive to the idea of preserving it anyway.

Thank you for having the balls to actually answer.

Close family units means cousins marrying cousins and children left with serious health issues, which we are then expected to pick up the tab for, and they also use poor health as one of the things they whinge about when they're whinging about discrimination
    What are "traditional" values?
    Do you know where this oral story telling and traditional music takes place?
    Live more lightly on the earth? They wreck everything they touch, they strip PURPOSE BUILT accommodation, which we pay for, of anything which can be sold, new accommodation is then demanded and provided by our muppet government

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Maybe you're not asking in the right place? My own thoughts are that there's good and bad in terms of what might be called 'traveller culture'.

Some of the good points are:
    - very close family units
    - 'traditional' values
    - some traveller families kept oral story telling and traditional music traditions alive when they were unpopular with official Ireland
    - live more lightly on the earth in terms of use of resources over lifetime, compared to many settled people.

Some bad points are:
    - many seem to have a total disregard for responsible disposal of their rubbish.
    - petty thieving and fighting
    - women have more constrained roles
    - little effort made to contribute to society as a whole and help support the state.

On the whole these days, I think it's fair to say that travellers are being slowly subsumed into settled society and there's no real need or value to preserve whatever value once existed. Indeed the very idea of investing additional money in their 'culture' is counter productive to the idea of preserving it anyway.

Doesn't "live more lightly on the earth" conflict with "total disregard for responsible disposal of their rubbish"? Also, some Travellers have built enormous mansions of houses, drive large vehicles, and have more children than settled people. The average Traveller couple have 5 children. I'd say Travellers consume more resources on average than others.

And how do they reconcile having close family units with their violent feuding?

By "traditional values" I assume you mean religious values -- but that's not necessarily a Traveller-specific thing. It's just that the rest of the country has a markedly different relationship to religion now than it did in the 1980s, while Travellers haven't moved on to the same extent.

The only thing above that could be used to justify any cultural contribution is the oral storytelling and traditional music ... and I don't see these as parts of Traveller culture, at least not anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Of course the Gardai who are being portrayed s dirt under our fingernails at the moment are being sent to Drogheda to protect local residents.

There are vicious people arriving from the UK and while I couldnt careless about feuding travellers Gardai and innocent law abiding people could be killed or injured.

Moneymore sounds like hell, imagine a decent person having to rear their children there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

That's very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

BattleCorp wrote: »
    That's very funny.

We don't tolerate funny any more, it's too racist.

JMNolan wrote: »

#jesuiscasey

#jesuiscasey

That looks like Jesus Casey!
    Is he the Messiah?
    (Or a very naughty boy?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

That looks like Jesus Casey!
    Is he the Messiah?
    (Or a very naughty boy?)

He is the Messiah ! I know a Messiah when I see one, I've followed a few.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

SexBobomb wrote: »
    He is the Messiah ! I know a Messiah when I see one, I've followed a few.

How should we f**k off oh Lord ????

God I love that film, even though a nun told me I would burn in Hell for all eternity for listening to the soundtrack on tape! Though tbh she said that about anything from being late to the time I came in with a white stripe on my nose a la Adam Ant!

JMNolan wrote: »

Most of the people screaming "racism!" about that video probably don't realize that the "offensive" audio is lifted directly from a genuine call-out video by Big Joe Joyce. Somehow it's "racist" now to repeat a Traveller's own words?

Hmmm maybe it spreading ...

Over €1m spent on travelling community in Clare since 2016

A total of €1,259,103 has been spent by the Council since 2016 and the local authority expects this figure to rise to €1,363,407 by the end of the year. The expenditure is towards accommodation, maintenance, waste collection, security, legal costs and illegal encampment.

Independent councillor, Gerry Flynn outlined his frustration with the amount of Council money being spent on travellers at a meeting of the local authority on Monday. “Where is this money coming from? There are a lot of other constructive ways we could be spending this money. It is a sizeable amount of money in the face of people accusing us of doing nothing”.

https://www.clareecho.ie/e1m-spent-travelling-community-clare-since-2016/

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    A total of €1,259,103 has been spent by the Council since 2016 and the local authority expects this figure to rise to €1,363,407 by the end of the year. The expenditure is towards accommodation, maintenance, waste collection, security, legal costs and illegal encampment.

I wonder what the figure is nationally.

I expect the activities of this "ethnic minority" cost the taxpayer many millions per annum -- and yet the likes of Tubridy won't tolerate any criticism of them.

Just €1.7m of €12m earmarked for Traveller housing drawn down

More than half of local authorities have spent none of their 2018 allocation

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/just-1-7m-of-12m-earmarked-for-traveller-housing-drawn-down-1.3692694

Eoin O'Broin is not happy. In fact he came up with this beauty
    Edward M wrote: »
    Yes, it's in the times.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/councils-could-face-sanctions-over-traveller-accommodation-budgets-1.3688827%3fmode=amp

Now have a look at the measures proposed if councils don't spend their allocation.
    Cutting of road budgets, FFS, we will have to endure potholes and untreated or maintained roads if the money for travellers isn't spent, they have to be joking, right?
    That suggestion by SF TD Eoin O Broin BTW.

The roads are in bad enough condition as it is

Good luck to any politician who calls to the door after cutting budgets which will affect everybody just because enough money wasn't spent on travellers

I'm sure there will be plenty of votes in it for Sinn Fein

"Sinn Féin TD Eoin Ó Broin said the consultative process for delivering Traveller accommodation had “clearly failed” in many councils.
    “Should we be thinking about sanctions for local authorities in other areas of their expenditure if they fail to spend Traveller accommodation budgets and meet statutory requirements? I think if a local authority knew, for example, that its roads budget would be withheld if it didn’t spend its Traveller budget that might focus the minds of elected representatives to do what they are legally required to do.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

KrustyUCC wrote: »

"Sinn Féin TD Eoin Ó Broin said the consultative process for delivering Traveller accommodation had “clearly failed” in many councils.
    “Should we be thinking about sanctions for local authorities in other areas of their expenditure if they fail to spend Traveller accommodation budgets and meet statutory requirements? I think if a local authority knew, for example, that its roads budget would be withheld if it didn’t spend its Traveller budget that might focus the minds of elected representatives to do what they are legally required to do.”

Poor Eoin is showing his Blackrock-boy roots with that guff and I don't see the party continuing to back it once they get some grassroots feedback. For the moment whoever pulls the strings in SF is focused on the Brexit/border issue and is happy to go along with luvvie stuff in the South from policy shapers like Eoin if its what gets votes. Once they start going backwards as a result of it they'll change their tune.

SF have damaged themselves with their Traveller stance, and this shïte further shows their disconnect.
    Haemorraged voters to Casey.
    Cheerio lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Poor Eoin is showing his Blackrock-boy roots with that guff and I don't see the party continuing to back it once they get some grassroots feedback. For the moment whoever pulls the strings in SF is focused on the Brexit/border issue and is happy to go along with luvvie stuff in the South from policy makers like Eoin if its what gets votes. Once they start going backwards as a result of it they'll change their tune.

Middle class liberalism means as much to the traditional SF voter as gender neutral toilets did to the average working class Democrat voter in Akron, Ohio before Trump got elected.

SF are going for the southern student vote with luvvie issues. This will have limited sucess as they are in a crowded field. Ireland currently is mostly a one-party state with all parties smugly following the liberal/left agenda. (For now). If SF had any nous they would consider the message given to the establishment by the Casey vote. Remember they keep on claiming that they are an anti-establishment party.

Now it seems that the cartoon video of Casey on the Late Late Show has been taken offline. The Twitter account of its producers, @HappyOutChannel, has been deleted as well.

Anyone know anything about this?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Now it seems that the cartoon video of Casey on the Late Late Show has been taken offline. The Twitter account of its producers, @HappyOutChannel, has been deleted as well.

Anyone know anything about this?

Probably been nicked boss.

Theres a smouldering shopping trolley full of burnt plastic cables where it used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

An old fella made a good point about them in the local a couple of nights back.

They never evolved he said. They're still living the violent Clan structure which existed in Ireland a thousand years ago, when you had O'Moores, O'Connors, O'Neills etc in constant feuds with each other.

That violent tribal culture of ancient Ireland is still alive in the Pavee clans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Careful now, it's their culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

• Advertisement

Kids in the background while thats going on...

Yeah, their culture needs to be preserved, it's so valuable to society:rolleyes: I'm sure the guy throwing around the money is on great terms with the Revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭elli21

I wonder did big willy get his money back after the 2 days.

I want to feel sorry for the young lad ...I truly do, it was a terrible beating...but I can't help but think he has doled out a few himself in the company of Big willy

Kids in the background while thats going on...

Yes, a great showing of their culture and beauty as an ethnic minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I have said it often, they really do know how to shout and roar. Even happened on the LLS with Casey too, and in many another clip I've seen.

Despicable behaviour. But that's Traveller ethnicity for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭marknjb

I wonder how much the likes of this contributes to their high suicide rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Am I alone in thinking that the only shocking thing in this is the production of receipts for purchases ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

McDermotX wrote: »
    Am I alone in thinking that the only shocking thing in this is the production of receipts for purchases ?

Personally I found deliberately trying to break his hand with the spanner was the most shocking.

marknjb wrote: »
    I wonder how much the likes of this contributes to their high suicide rate

You mean, you wonder how much their own culture has to do with the cultural problems they face? A question that has been asked and not answered many many times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

n97 mini wrote: »
    Personally I found deliberately trying to break his hand with the spanner was the most shocking.

Nah......Just scumbags being scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

McDermotX wrote: »
    Nah......Just scumbags being scumbags.

That is shocking. He didn't spare the spanner on him. Absolutely brutal.

mickdw wrote: »
    That is shocking. He didn't spare the spanner on him. Absolutely brutal.

Not really shocking at all.....that's how travellers behave.
    Living in the Midlands you'd see something like this regularly.

This kind of savagery is not culture. In fact, it's the opposite of culture. It's everything we should properly be striving to eliminate from society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This kind of savagery is not culture. In fact, it's the opposite of culture. It's everything we should properly be striving to eliminate from society.

Of course it's not.
    It's criminality no matter who is at it.
    Nobody raised a kid to end up like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Can’t tar the one community with the one brush:)

I agree,
    The government needs to act fast and start a program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,288 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I agree,
    The government needs to act fast and start a program.

It's spelled pogrom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

https://youtu.be/BagPTgeffa0

Some culture from a kickboxing event from last night in Clare.

Embed fail.....! Click link works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Odelay

893bet wrote: »

https://youtu.be/BagPTgeffa0

Some culture from a kickboxing event from last night in Clare.

Embed fail.....! Click link works.

Oh wow, that’s great culture. Fantastic to see such passion. I see we will have a new Olympic chair throwing champion soon:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭wally1990

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement