Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one thing protest.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Did some hippy pour soy sauce on your gammon?

Aww man I'd be so pissed off if that happened to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭green shoots

Patww79 wrote: »
    There's a big difference between being happy and not caring so you can remove that one from your decks Mr spinmaster.

Well at least we know someone like you probably wont be adding children to our unsustainable population

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Well at least we know someone like you probably wont be adding children to our unsustainable population

Hardly. I'd care then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭green shoots

Patww79 wrote: »
    Hardly. I'd care then.

I wont even bother you're just a miserable git.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

This has echos of the 'Boiling Frog' story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

sKeith wrote: »
    Is that Hassenforder's law?

Might make that my sig!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Might make that my sig!!

Hassenforder's law (or Hassenforder's rule of traveller analogies) is a After Hours adage asserting that "As an After Hours discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving travellers approaches 1"; that is, if an After Hours discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to travellers or their deeds, the point at which effectively the discussion or thread often ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

. I was a member of Save Our Seafront in Sandycove-Dun Laoghaire throughout my teen years and I honestly believe that one of the reasons we were successful in garnering local support and ultimately killing the council's high rise privatisation plans was because our protests were always civilised - we agreed a route beforehand with the Gardathey closed particular roads for the duration of the march, and then we finished up in a public green space or the pavement outside the town hall, away from traffic, to have our speeches and megaphone rally.

(

Was Richard Boyd Barret not involved with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The affluence of the area had nothing to do with the scrapping of the plans then?

The affluence of the area was what drove the plans into being created in the first place. The council saw big bags of cash when they envisioned building a sprawling, private apartment complex on filled-in foreshore and selling it on the private market. The plans failed because the protests against them were astronomically large given the size of the area (10,000 people came to the biggest one IIRC), and probably to a lesser extent because prominent celebrities such as Ronnie Drew and Christy Moore got involved.

My point is though, if the earliest protests against the plan - when hardly anyone had heard of it and we were lucky to get a few hundred people marching - had descended into the kind of deliberately antagonistic "ruin everyone's day for some cheap publicity" bullsh!t and downright scumbaggery which almost every large protest in the city centre turns into once the "blockade all the traffic crossing the Liffey" crowd gets involved, I guarantee you that the movement would never have grown beyond those initial few hundred die hard supporters who were there from the start. People rightly don't want to get involved in that kind of utter toxicity, and I don't blame them for a second. If Save Our Seafront had emerged into the media with initial headlines of "TRAVEL CHAOS FOR STUDENTS AND PENSIONERS AS PROTESTERS SHUT DOWN DUBLIN'S BUSIEST BUS ROUTE", many, many of the ordinary concerned citizens who showed up to subsequent marches wouldn't have touched the campaign with a ten foot barge pole.

Some might say that it's unfair that a minority of scumbags have the power to discredit a much bigger legitimate protest movement in this way - it only takes a few dozen people to shut down a traffic thoroughfare - but rightly or wrongly, that's just the way it is. This problem needs to be addressed in some way before large scale protests in Dublin City Centre can become successful beyond the truly exception cases such as the water protests.

This is just my opinion, obviously. But I'd wager that many people feel this way. The simple and indisputable face that these militant traffic blockades steal the media spotlight from the main protest and turn it to the fallout for city workers and students is surely a big enough problem in and of itself - protests only work when the media reports on them, after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Any tech minded person around for the vote thingy?

• Advertisement
Advertisement