Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one thing protest.

Options
  • 04-11-2018 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

This might have been tried before but here goes...there are many people complaining about many things on many forums....so why don't they decide on just ONE thing and plan a big protest.
    Can one of the more techie types put up a vote pie chart to decide on what area the one thing will be in. Once the area is voted on then we will have another vote to get the one thing.
    Then we vote on a date and march on RTE not the parliament , because I think it would be more effective and something different as well.
    Then we drum up support for the protest on forums, Facebook, Snapchat, at work, at home etc.

Suggested areas.

1. Environment (green issues, energy etc.)

2.Housing (affordability, availability, height restrictions in cities, etc.)

3.Wefare state ( types of payments, council housing, etc.)

4. Insurance ( starting a national car insurance system,pay out culture, litigation costs, court system, etc.)

5.law and order ( revolving door, bail, previous convictions, lack of Gardai/punishment , etc.)

Actually Let's keep it to these 5 or we will never stop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Wouldn't be confident of a big turnout by the looks of it.

Forget marching on RTE, I would bulldoze the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Are we marching for or against the things on that list? For example I could be swayed to join you on the law and order issue but I'd be against the revolving door system

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It won't work, because there will always be some absolute scumbags (Eirigí I'm looking at ye :mad:) who will try to hijack any protest and (a) broaden its scope to the point of incomprehension, and even worse (b) break off from the main organised protest in order to blockade the junctions North and South of O'Connell bridge and therefore piss the entire city off while robbing the genuine protesters of the publicity they deserve for organising their march.

What the solution is, I'm honestly not sure. It's like clockwork that these f*ckers screw up every single large protest anyone tries to hold in Dublin City. I was a member of Save Our Seafront in Sandycove-Dun Laoghaire throughout my teen years and I honestly believe that one of the reasons we were successful in garnering local support and ultimately killing the council's high rise privatisation plans was because our protests were always civilised - we agreed a route beforehand with the Gardaí, they closed particular roads for the duration of the march, and then we finished up in a public green space or the pavement outside the town hall, away from traffic, to have our speeches and megaphone rally.

Not once did any scumbags decide that the proper way to protest was to, for example, sit down on the crossroads between Marine Road and Crofton Road, thereby blocking the 46A bus route for literally the entirety of Dublin. That element simply wasn't involved. If it had been, I have little doubt that the movement would have petered out because more people were pissed off about being late for college or work on account of Dublin's largest bus route being shut down for the day than were pissed off about the actual subject of the protest.

If one were to be entirely cynical, it wouldn't be a huge stretch to imagine that some of these Eirigí scumbags are paid off by the establishment to deliberately destroy protest movements and prevent them from gaining any traction. It's happened multiple times in the past right across Western society with various different protest movements - the truly militant and unpleasant element was "planted" there with the explicit intention of damaging the movement's brand. However, there are enough genuine scumbags in Dublin that Occam's Razor would lean towards these people just being out and out pr!cks.

Either way, this is sadly why I don't see a protest like this working out. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

You're only lessening the importance of the other four by lumping them in with something as irrelevant as environment.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    You're only lessening the importance of the other four by lumping them in with something as irrelevant as environment.

What about the environment you go fishing in, like this one for instance.

What about the environment you go fishing in, like this one for instance.

I don't fish, either in reality or in the way you're saying but not saying for some reason. It's only fishing if you're saying something you don't firmly believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bring back square t-bags and/or Bear in the Big Blue House bacon snacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well, travellers obviously.

NO one seems to give a **** about anything else any more

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Well, travellers obviously.

NO one seems to give a **** about anything else any more

Its only a matter of time before some angry rural peasant brings travellers into a thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Did some hippy pour soy sauce on your gammon?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Its only a matter of time before some angry rural peasant brings travellers into a thread.

Obviously not a reference to me considering I',m neither angry not rural. The peasant thing is open to debate, admittedly.

Anyway. question was asked, question as answered. If you can't contrubute anything worthwhile, I'd suggest you don't.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Did some hippy pour soy sauce on your gammon?

You're the second one now. Why do all you huggers speak in code?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Obviously not a reference to me considering I',m neither angry not rural. The peasant thing is open to debate, admittedly.

Anyway. question was asked, question as answered. If you can't contrubute anything worthwhile, I'd suggest you don't.

Theres a traveller thread in full swing. No need for traveller creep into more!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The overwhelming truth is Irish people just don’t protest to any scale at all, it’s jist not in us as a nation.

Plus life in Ireland is actually very good, yea there’s stuff I’d love to see done better but in general it’s a good country to live in.
    There’s plenty of decent paying work, of you bother to educate yourself or get a decent skill then it’s easy to earn enough to have a decent life.

I think the two biggest problems are housing and healthcare.

For housing people on social welfare looking to stay on state supplied houses need to forget about being housed in busy urban areas, push them out into regional towns where there is more space at less cost to the tax payer, let them start new lives there and if they want to better themselves let them find paying work.

Healthcare and indeed public sector in general, I’ve no problem with wage levels, what the public services needs is proper accountability. There needs to be repercussions for mistakes and poor performance.

Lastly direct provision is a stain on the country. Make decisions on asylum seekers, either let them stay and life lives or deny their asylum and send them back to their origin country. Racking and stacking them for decades in privately skein centres is disgusting behaviour, we are capable of better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Is that Hassenforder's law?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭green shoots

I was a member of Save Our Seafront in Sandycove-Dun Laoghaire throughout my teen years and I honestly believe that one of the reasons we were successful in garnering local support and ultimately killing the council's high rise privatisation plans was because our protests were always civilised - we agreed a route beforehand with the Gardaí, they closed particular roads for the duration of the march, and then we finished up in a public green space or the pavement outside the town hall, away from traffic, to have our speeches and megaphone rally.(

The affluence of the area had nothing to do with the scrapping of the plans then?

How is environment irrelevant?

How is environment irrelevant?

Because I'll be long gone before it's an issue, and all the rubbish around environment now is inconvenient to me.

Pat searching for a shovel...

Can none of you just come out and say something, you're never very convincing with the stupid little coded jabs.

• Advertisement

Because I'll be long gone before it's an issue, and all the rubbish around environment now is inconvenient to me.

It's already an issue, unless you live in a cave.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Charming.

Self centered and entitled.

It's not though. The pandemonium around it is the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Tell me that it would surprise you if he did?

wexie wrote: »
    Tell me that it would surprise you if he did?

Mongo like candy.

P_1 wrote: »
    Charming.

Self centered and entitled.

Self centered, yes.
    Entitled, no.
    Charming, if you say so.

It's not though. The pandemonium around it is the issue.

Pandemonium? It's being TOTALLY ignored. 60% of all wildlife have been wiped out since the 70s, totally ignored by our government and all governments really. We need tough policies put in place if we have any hope of saving our environment. It's not going to happen because greed and money rules all, so don't worry, our environment is going to get a lot worse which will probably make you happy.

Pandemonium? It's being TOTALLY ignored. 60% of all wildlife have been wiped out since the 70s, totally ignored by our government and all governments really. We need tough policies put in place if we have any hope of saving our environment. It's not going to happen because greed and money rules all, so don't worry, our environment is going to get a lot worse which will probably make you happy.

There's a big difference between being happy and not caring so you can remove that one from your decks Mr spinmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Feel free to speed it up.

Mod-Banned

• Advertisement

Feel free to speed it up.

This is an excellent post for me to see if this forum is moderated with an agenda or not. Cheers.

Advertisement