Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Callum Chat/Non Technical Discussion (Including Travel)

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

They're damned if the do or don't!
    Its not an exact science. They don't control the movement of the weather patterns.

And science needs investment to improve, people in the 80s would be amazed with the forecasting abilities of today. We are spoilt but improvments dont come for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

8jygtmthenr11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I'll bow out with this post.

ME aren't the problem. The colour warnings aren't the problem. The real problem lies with the media crap and the follow up social media crap. I suspect the so called mainstream media just feed off a social media platform that they are themselves immersed in. It has resulted in extremely poor journalism and reporting. There are various opinions on all these storms in relation to warnings and all of the BS comes from the media. I'm sick and tired of reading about Storm (pick a name) is going to BATTER the country, when the real story from ME has it broken down into colour coded alert areas and life goes on according to it.

I witnessed a band cancelling a gig last night within the yellow alert area. A completely stupid idea, if you actually read the criteria for a yellow alert weather warning, the trip back and forth would be safe. But nope, they were staying put. The media both social and mainstream have delivered a two way attitude to storms.

1. We are all doomed. Stay indoors.
    2. Ah it will be grand, I'm goin swimming anyway.

Both attitudes are far far away from the reality of actually reading the real stuff and not relying on drama queen crap from the like of the Indo or facebook idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Hal1 wrote: »
    8jygtmthenr11.jpg

RTE have a series of documentaries on at the moment about Irish lighthouses.
    It’s probably one of the best they’ve ever produced.
    Last nights was about how fastnet was built and the stories from the lighthouse keepers about the storms they witnessed are amazing.
    Really worth a watch on the RTE player.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

RTE have a series of documentaries on at the moment about Irish lighthouses.
    It’s probably one of the best they’ve ever produced.
    Last nights was about how fastnet was built and the stories from the lighthouse keepers about the storms they witnessed are amazing.
    Really worth a watch on the RTE player.

Have you visited the Mizen Head complex? Used to go there frequently... an awesome resource

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I'll bow out with this post.

ME aren't the problem. The colour warnings aren't the problem. The real problem lies with the media crap and the follow up social media crap. I suspect the so called mainstream media just feed off a social media platform that they are themselves immersed in. It has resulted in extremely poor journalism and reporting. There are various opinions on all these storms in relation to warnings and all of the BS comes from the media. I'm sick and tired of reading about Storm (pick a name) is going to BATTER the country, when the real story from ME has it broken down into colour coded alert areas and life goes on according to it.

I witnessed a band cancelling a gig last night within the yellow alert area. A completely stupid idea, if you actually read the criteria for a yellow alert weather warning, the trip back and forth would be safe. But nope, they were staying put. The media both social and mainstream have delivered a two way attitude to storms.

1. We are all doomed. Stay indoors.
    2. Ah it will be grand, I'm goin swimming anyway.

Both attitudes are far far away from the reality of actually reading the real stuff and not relying on drama queen crap from the like of the Indo or facebook idiots.

at a "disadvantage"(!) as I do not use/have "social media" or TV or radio. Rely totally on met.ie, boards, and most of all, what is going on around here. Far safer and far healthier. and more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

TCM wrote: »
    Storm Callum was a non event in North Dublin. Met Eireann forecasters have become celebrities for simply reading a weather forecast. It seems to me that it's all about them & not the actual weather.

It’s not ME , it’s the media . After Ophelia last year there were lots of articles like ‘meet the face of Ophelia ‘ which was basically an interview with Joanna Donnelly

Very cringe

Imagine if we went to war , the newscasters would be like celebrities

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

Graces7 wrote: »
    at a "disadvantage"(!) as I do not use/have "social media" or TV or radio. Rely totally on met.ie, boards, and most of all, what is going on around here. Far safer and far healthier. and more than enough.

Would boards.ie not be considered social media ? Just curious

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Would boards.ie not be considered social media ? Just curious

Yes....but no hype here! :p

Advertisement