Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

embraer170 wrote: »

Following that link down the rabbit hole leads to some dark Tesla places:
    chuckleberry finn
    @charlesbirk
    3h3 hours ago

The loss of range on the @Tesla Model 3 in cold weather is abysmal. A 25 mile trip turns into 50 miles off of my battery. Handling in ice/snow is terrible too, at least on the performance model, I'm hoping snow tires fixes it..

Jonathan Rothberg
    @JMRothberg
    3h3 hours ago

Tesla fail @elonmusk @tesla when it’s 5 F the front doors on the model X don’t close. Preheated car to 70 F. Didn’t help. Tried a few times to get them closed. Drivers warning buzzer sounded. Had to turn around and take the @Buick

Mark B. Spiegel
    @markbspiegel
    2h2 hours ago

Mark B. Spiegel Retweeted elmerFUDD

Attention any and all finance companies: for your own protection, if you're considering helping Tesla establish a Model 3 lease program, please note this 50% three-year depreciation in its most reliable model (unlike the lemony Model 3) when calculating residual values!
    Not to mention several plaintive cries for long outstanding deposit refunds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

cnocbui wrote: »
    Following that link down the rabbit hole leads to some dark Tesla places:

In fairness now Spiegel is a well known Tesla hater, so if you're starting at the top of a rabbit hole that is surrounded by sewage, broken bottles and carcasses of other rabbits, you should probably expect it to get worse the further you go down.

Using Spiegel as a source for objective news on Tesla is like using Trump as an objective source on equality :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I'll take it with a pinch of salt because of who's posting that on Twitter. Also, Google Maps says the Service centre in Brussels (not the store) is still open, so I'll believe that until I get confirmation that it's closed/closing.

On another note, if you want to track the ship with model 3s coming from San Francisco Port, it's here:

Reddit Thread

Ship Tracker

Zenith74 wrote: »
    In fairness now Spiegel is a well known Tesla hater, so if you're starting at the top of a rabbit hole that is surrounded by sewage, broken bottles and carcasses of other rabbits, you should probably expect it to get worse the further you go down.

Using Spiegel as a source for objective news on Tesla is like using Trump as an objective source on equality :eek:

One of the biggest problems with the internet is the argumentative device of trying to counter something by claiming the source is tainted - discrediting the messenger, ergo the information conveyed is fallacious, because the conduit is suspect. Trump is one of the biggest proponents of this device - fake noooz.

You see it on Boards all the time - people calling others out for quoting the Daily Mail would be a classic. Personally I turn to the Daily Mail regularly because the BBC is terrible for censorship via omission.

The only thing that I care about is the accuracy of information, something which can and often is independent of the source that conveys it. So it's irrelevant to me what you think of Spiegel, it's the likely veracity of the original source that I pay attention to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Zenith74 wrote: »

Same can be said on other sources posted here on a regular basis for "news" on Tesla......people might be able to guess which website I am referring to :P

Most of the time I find the people referred to as "Tesla haters" are just the people who see past the PR.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Spiegel instantly lost all credibility to me when he tweets:

"Attention any and all finance companies: for your own protection, if you're considering helping Tesla establish a Model 3 lease program, please note this 50% three-year depreciation in its most reliable model (unlike the lemony Model 3) when calculating residual values!"

I did not believe that for a second. Tesla Model S has glacial depreciation (unfortunately). It has the lowest depreciation of all cars for sale in the UK as a percentage of new value (again unfortunately). I can't see it being very different in a different market like the USA.

And luckily it is something that can be proven / disproven easily. The cheapest brand new 2019 Model S in the USA is $75k. The cheapest 2016 Model S on craigslist (the LA one, it is the one that came up when I googled and it has well over 200 Model S for sale, so should be reasonably accurate) is $50k. Spiegel proven completely wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Digging a bit deeper the closing service centres story is rubbish. I first picked it up on a German electric car forum (goingelectric) and clearly should have done more research.

Sorry!

Digging a bit deeper the closing service centres story is rubbish. I first picked it up on a German electric car forum (goingelectric) and clearly should have done more research.

Sorry!

No need to apologise at all. We all post stuff here that we read elsewhere. Not your fault that it was false!

Any links to were the claims were dismissed or to what convinced you the story was rubbish?

Sorry!

No worries. I'd expect news like that to be big in the Tesla community/press as they tend to cover every small detail.

unkel wrote: »
    No need to apologise at all. We all post stuff here that we read elsewhere. Not your fault that it was false!

Any links to were the claims were dismissed or to what convinced you the story was rubbish?

This guy did some research into the Swiss side of the story:
    https://twitter.com/rogermueller16

I also see the that the Belgian service centres are back on the Tesla website.

It will be interesting to see if anything happens over the next months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,659 ✭✭✭✭ted1

One of the biggest problems with the internet is the argumentative device of trying to counter something by claiming the source is tainted - discrediting the messenger, ergo the information conveyed is fallacious, because the conduit is suspect. Trump is one of the biggest proponents of this device - fake noooz.

You see it on Boards all the time - people calling others out for quoting the Daily Mail would be a classic. Personally I turn to the Daily Mail regularly because the BBC is terrible for censorship via omission.

The only thing that I care about is the accuracy of information, something which can and often is independent of the source that conveys it. So it's irrelevant to me what you think of Spiegel, it's the likely veracity of the original source that I pay attention to.

You turn to the daily mail for accuracy ? Easons keep it in the fiction section

Edited: Fake news. Tesla are not closing any Service Centers.

https://twitter.com/markbspiegel/status/1087144343817908225

If they were closing service center when launching a high volume car would you it think it’s to open a bigger one else where ?

ted1 wrote: »
    You turn to the daily mail for accuracy ? Easons keep it in the fiction section

Absolutely, particularly with breaking news. The BBC will often leave out practically everything that you might want to know to get a gist of what happened or might have happened, go to the DM and you will find all the details the BBC were being coy about and left out of their scant coverage. Try following breaking news such as the Skripal poisoning and you will get far more useful information from the DM than the BBC. Your snide riposte is typical.

Absolutely, particularly with breaking news. The BBC will often leave out practically everything that you might want to know to get a gist of what happened or might have happened, go to the DM and you will find all the details the BBC were being coy about and left out of their scant coverage. Try following breaking news such as the Skripal poisoning and you will get far more useful information from the DM than the BBC. Your snide riposte is typical.

The daily mail don’t deal with facts and write articles on make belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

ELM327 wrote: »
    Kona and niro are not really in the same market as the model 3 to be fair.
    Kona/niro are small crossovers. Model 3 is a 3 series segment small executive saloon.

The fact that they are even painted as competitors shows how new the EV market is as there are not enough EVs by market segment.

Imagine choosing between a 325i and a Hyundai Tucson!

Having sat in a Model 3 I'll go with my wife's description of a 'plastic ford capri' - it's much more comparable (handling aside) in build quality oto something like a Mondeo or lower-end C-segment than a C-Class or 3 series.

....now as far as handling goes it will apparently be up there, but luxury and quality are nowhere close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

catharsis wrote: »
    Having sat in a Model 3 I'll go with my wife's description of a 'plastic ford capri' - it's much more comparable (handling aside) in build quality oto something like a Mondeo or lower-end C-segment than a C-Class or 3 series.

....now as far as handling goes it will apparently be up there, but luxury and quality are nowhere close.

Bit unfair to the Mondeo

Having sat inside an ST 182, I'd say its more comparable to the Model S

For a 100k car it's shocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

It's efficient though

Beats the Ioniq in Bjorn latest test ( skip to 18.00)

https://youtu.be/150Z4l69CBo

Owning a 3 series (granted it’s a Diesel E90) and having sat in a Model 3 last weekend, I thought the Tesla felt like a very very refined and more spacious 3 series.

I need to buy a car in the coming months and I am all over the place.

Owning a 3 series (granted it’s a Diesel E90) and having sat in a Model 3 last weekend, I thought the Tesla felt like a very very refined and more spacious 3 series.

I was impressed when I sat in one in the states a few months back. Interior quality was good, and not having 9 million buttons and dials made it feel really clean and calm inside. The technology and driving experience make up for any interior shortcomings though. (Imho)

Pete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Assuming you have a Model 3 reservation do you have any delivery date????

Old diesel wrote: »

No, I don’t have a reservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Old diesel wrote:

Brother in law put down a reservation day one and is none the wiser in terms of delivery date!

E90 dates from 2004 so hardly surprising the model 3 looks newer and more refined!

I have had a model 3 on reserve since launch date, was at the launch of the G20 3-series last weekend in Dublin (very impressive car even though it does burn fossil juice) and I also have an e-tron on reserve so just as confused as you.

I suspect I'll end up buying a Niro. :D

It does appear to me that Kia have delivered what everyone else is promising but not actually delivering....

As an example, Are there any of Elon's original promises for the Model 3 that Kia Niro does not match? ( I guess the cD is not matched?), and the Niro EV will be way under the US$35K after incentives price which the model 3 will never hit, many suspect.

(Always worth remembering that the model3 'headline' 35K figure was always quoted as 'after incentives' BTW.)

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Brother in law put down a reservation day one and is none the wiser in terms of delivery date!

Actually the delivery estimator for mine (ordered April 2016) has just been updated from 'Early 2019' to '2019'

(Always worth remembering that the model3 'headline' 35K figure was always quoted as 'after incentives' BTW.)

I'm pretty sure you got that wrong. It was $35k before deducting any incentives

As an example, the cheapest current Model 3 is the mid range RWD, which lists at $45k before incentives and for cars delivered on or before 31/12/2018, they attract a federal tax incentive of $7.5k, making it a $37.5k car

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Scottish Jodi

They look smart :).

As an example, the cheapest current Model 3 is the mid range RWD, which lists at $45k before incentives and for cars delivered on or before 31/12/2018, they attract a federal tax incentive of $7.5k, making it a $37.5k car

Yep, this.

Hands up - it used to be $35 K before incentives, which was the context of my comparison, so I had that wrong.

Microsoft warns users 'Daily Mail' UK site 'an unreliable news source'

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/microsoft-warns-users-daily-mail-uk-site-an-unreliable-news-source-37743997.html

ted1 wrote: »

My experience is otherwise and I make up my own mind about things, which is why I tend not to use Microsoft products, One Drive and a Nokia 720 with MS OS being about the only exceptions.

Here is a good example of what I mean about the DM vs BBC

There was a terrible crash in Canada in which 15 members of a ice hokey team were killed when their bus was involved in an accident with a truck. I first read the BBC report and it just left me wanting to know what happened and their report provided scant details and nothing to go on.

I then looked to the DM and they had a hugely comprehensive article on the crash from which I was able to get a far better picture of what happened and how it happened and perhaps why.

Try it yourself if you are capable of having an open mind - read the BBC report first then read the DM report:https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43679808

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-5588979/Canada-police-say-14-dead-hockey-bus-crash.html

If you find the former to be more adequate, accurate and informative than the latter, then our brains do not function in the same way.

When I want detail, I turn to the DM and use their copious, detailed reporting to make up my own mind, rather than just swallow the shallow BBC stuff which is often very slanted and biased and are pushing their entrenched agendas.

• Advertisement

Try it yourself if you are capable of having an open mind - read the BBC report first then read the DM report:https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43679808

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-5588979/Canada-police-say-14-dead-hockey-bus-crash.html

If you find the former to be more adequate, accurate and informative than the latter, then our brains do not function in the same way.

Here's another BBC report that is the same length as the DM article - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43690187. And another update from them https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43685217 and another one https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43704628 and another one https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43686209.

But anyway I think your argument is more that the DM releases more detail more quickly, as opposed to the DM being the pinnacle of honest media, which is quite possibly true.

My experience is otherwise and I make up my own mind about things, which is why I tend not to use Microsoft products, One Drive and a Nokia 720 with MS OS being about the only exceptions.

Here is a good example of what I mean about the DM vs BBC

There was a terrible crash in Canada in which 15 members of a ice hokey team were killed when their bus was involved in an accident with a truck. I first read the BBC report and it just left me wanting to know what happened and their report provided scant details and nothing to go on.

I then looked to the DM and they had a hugely comprehensive article on the crash from which I was able to get a far better picture of what happened and how it happened and perhaps why.

When I want detail, I turn to the DM and use their copious, detailed reporting to make up my own mind, rather than just swallow the shallow BBC stuff which is often very slanted and biased and are pushing their entrenched agendas.

The BBC dont provide the details because they may not be available, where as the DM fabricate the details.
    I find it hilarious that you think the details the DM provide are factual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think anyone putting the daily fail anywhere near a serious broadcaster in terms of legitimacy needs their head examined tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

so any M3* news today or anything?

*purposely call it that to maybe steer conversation elsewhere :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

so any M3* news today or anything?

*purposely call it that to maybe steer conversation elsewhere :pac:
    They've had to cancel the latest model due to emissions updates with WLTP.

Looks like the 1st shipment of Model 3s for European customers is about to arrive at Zeebrugge:

Link

That's right. Heard that from my best mate, who actually sat in a Model 3 today in a Dutch Tesla showroom (NL had the first pre-reg batch of 50 European Model 3)

He was pretty impressed with the car, and he'd be a demanding customer (current car a BMW he bought new)

He has test drive list booked - probably his turn in a few weeks, probably performance LR AWD. I might go over for that myself :D

rocky wrote: »

And...
    Elon Musk
    ‏Verified account @elonmusk
    5h5 hours ago

VAT of ~20% & import duties of ~10% usually result in a 30% higher cost in Europe

Very interesting to see from the US how badly all electric cars have faired with the cold weather knocking up to 50% off their range. I am puzzled as to why Norwegians seem like such big fans when electric vehicle batteries perform at their best at human body ambient temperatures and seem utterly unsuited to cold temperatures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Very interesting to see from the US how badly all electric cars have faired with the cold weather knocking up to 50% off their range. I am puzzled as to why Norwegians seem like such big fans when electric vehicle batteries perform at their best at human body ambient temperatures and seem utterly unsuited to cold temperatures.

Upto 50%! :eek:

Where did you see that?

Its well known you get reduced range in freezing temps but I've never seen/heard 50% being quoted. I'd be skeptical of that tbh as I've seen many real world review of range in Norway and there was nothing like 50% lost between winter/summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

First boat of Model 3s to Europe has unloaded at Zeebrugge.

https://twitter.com/kurthellyn/status/1093089455215386625?s=21

Hopefully we’re only a few more months away from RHD.

KCross wrote: »
    Upto 50%! :eek:

Where did you see that?

Its well known you get reduced range in freezing temps but I've never seen/heard 50% being quoted. I'd be skeptical of that tbh as I've seen many real world review of range in Norway and there was nothing like 50% lost between winter/summer.

In this article: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/05/tesla-jaguar-and-nissan-evs-lose-power-in-freezing-temps-.html

50% was the extreme in the article. 30% is still pretty woeful.

On a nice spring afternoon when the temperature is around 70, said Timothy Grewe, "I can get 270 miles no problem," from his Chevrolet Bolt EV with a fresh and fully charged battery. But on Thursday, when Detroit was in negative territory, the chief engineer at the General Motors electric propulsion lab said, "I got around 170."

That's the same story you'll hear over and over again. In some cases, range gauges will show an optimistic figure, then draw down power at an alarming rate. Other vehicles will display a significantly lower-than-normal figure to start with.

"I'm consistently seeing a 30 percent degradation" in range on cold days, said Henry Payne, an automotive reviewer for the Detroit News and an owner of a Tesla Model 3. When the floor fell out under the weight of the Polar Vortex, he added, he lost a full 50 percent of the sedan's normal range.

Ireland is a long way off being an ideal place for Li-ion powered vehicles with an annual average temperature of just under 10°C - the ideal for batteries being 21° C

50% was the extreme in the article.

Are you trolling again? You comparing range during a polar vortex?

If we ever got one of those in this country, diesel cars wouldn't even start. Zero range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Are you trolling again? You comparing range during a polar vortex?

If we ever got one of those in this country, diesel cars wouldn't even start. Zero range.

And you can preheat a Tesla, which is great even in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Would it be fair to say that the longer your journey is - the less of an issue this will be.

In other words that 170 miles over 4 days will use more energy then the same 170 miles in one single trip

Ireland is a long way off being an ideal place for Li-ion powered vehicles with an annual average temperature of just under 10°C - the ideal for batteries being 21° C

Think you're taking a rather simplistic understanding there. Firstly 21°C is ideal for what? Charging them, using them, storing them? Then what should actually be 21°C? The climate, the weather, the car, the battery pack, the individual cells that are nicely packed inside an insulated car? Then when should this item be 21° C? Before you starting charging/using/storing using them, the average over the cycle, the median of the cycle or the end?

To take some real examples, the weather may be 5°C when you start your journey, but batteries release lots of heat as they're used, so quite quickly the battery will indeed by 21° C.

My point being that "21° C degrees is ideal for batteries" is a nonsense statement. The facts are that battery packs in Leafs, as tested for the last 9 years, have lasted much better in Ireland's average 10°C climate than Arizona's 22°C. And the range dropoff during 'cold' weather, as tested for the last 9 years, is much less in the Irish lows of -2°C than the Norwegian/PolarVortex -20°C.

Anecdotally, "21°C may be ideal for Lithium Ion batteries", empirically the Irish climate is near ideal for Lithium Ion based battery vehicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

In this article: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/05/tesla-jaguar-and-nissan-evs-lose-power-in-freezing-temps-.html

50% was the extreme in the article. 30% is still pretty woeful.

Thanks, at least we have context for your 50%. Its very much the extreme. We probably wouldnt even get into our cars in those temps!

30% is poor but also not typical in Europe. Most people see 10-20% here I'd say depending on the car (it is for me anyway). The important thing for EV owners is to know what the range of the car is in the worst conditions, not the best. If the car can do what you need it to in winter then EV is suitable.

If not, dont buy one.

It seems this is one of the reasons why Tesla have bough Maxwell as they have tech which reduces the affect that temp has on batteries.

Using Irelands average temp is a bad way to come to that conclusion.

When the cars charge and drive the batteries increase in temperature quickly.

If you had an average temp of 21C, like your suggesting, the batteries would need cooling down which is a problem for batteries too.

The key is to have a temperate climate that doesnt have wild swings. Ireland is close to ideal, not the "long way off" you suggest.

Having EV's that have battery temperature conditioning is also key. The really cold climates like Norway have battery heaters by default. The same cars here dont have those heaters because they're not needed.

The AAA in the US has done testing of five EV's and found that on average their range dropped by 41% when the temperature was -6.7° C. It doesn't get that low very often in ireland, so nothing to worry about. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/06/aaa-confirms-what-tesla-bmw-nissan-ev-owners-suspected-of-cold-weather.html

The AAA in the US has done testing of five EV's and found that on average their range dropped by 41% when the temperature was -6.7° C. It doesn't get that low very often in ireland, so nothing to worry about. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/06/aaa-confirms-what-tesla-bmw-nissan-ev-owners-suspected-of-cold-weather.html

That's an article from CNBC with some headlines of the AAA report. It has no details whatsoever about the report itself. Googled and found several other "news" articles saying about the same thing. None have details and none link to the AAA report that they are quoting.

Can't find the AAA report myself either. I don't believe the average range of EVs drops by over 40% in -7C weather. This is not in line with the many videos from Nyland in Norway in similar and often even much colder temps

I call BS until I at least read this detailed AAA test...

• Advertisement

That’s also using air conditioning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement