Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skinny but fat.. No muscle

Options
  • 28-08-2020 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I recently lost a good bit of weight (currently I'm 11 stone 8 and 6,1 height)

Despite the Weight loss I still have a large stomach. I need muscle badly, would I be better to continue my weight loss? Everyone tells me my current weight is very skinny for my height.

I began very basic weight training simply to build some strength

The attached pic shows my current situation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

carzony wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I recently lost a good bit of weight (currently I'm 11 stone 8 and 6,1 height)

Despite the Weight loss I still have a large stomach. I need muscle badly, would I be better to continue my weight loss? Everyone tells me my current weight is very skinny for my height.

The attached pic shows my current situation

Picture added

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Did you do any exercise or did you lose weight through diet?

I found jogging very quickly pulled my stomach in a lot and gave me definition (noticeable after two weeks of jogging three times a week).

I‘ve been doing core and ab workouts as well lately and it’s all made a difference. But honestly, I’d recommend you start looking at jogging first as it gave me a quick change. Try slowly jogging 1k (go slow enough that you don’t lose your breath) and then work your way up to 5k over the course of a month or two. If you can go out a few times a week, you’ll improve quickly.

I found jogging very quickly pulled my stomach in a lot and gave me definition (noticeable after two weeks of jogging three times a week).

I‘ve been doing core and ab workouts as well lately and it’s all made a difference. But honestly, I’d recommend you start looking at jogging first as it gave me a quick change. Try slowly jogging 1k (go slow enough that you don’t lose your breath) and then work your way up to 5k over the course of a month or two. If you can go out a few times a week, you’ll improve quickly.

I lost the weight mainly through dieting.. I can feel that my stomach is a lot tighter but still quite big

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Weight isn't everything; composition matters. Your BMI is right in the middle of normal, but you'd be much healthier and look/feel better if you gained some muscle and lost some fat.

It's always a good idea to do resistance exercise, and the first stage of muscle development is fairly quick and easy. Go do a decent beginner's weights programme, bulk up a little, and then see how you feel. It'll always be easier to shift body fat if you've more muscle and you're more active.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

You want to build muscle, OP, so absolutely do not follow this advice. It's terrible, to sum up nicely in one word.

Look in to recomposition. Building muscle with strength training and eating for that goal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Eat clean but don't think in terms of dieting any longer. You may need to eat more, not less, if you are going to following a resistance training program in order to improve your body composition.

This recent thread may give you a few time tested programming options:-

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058104438

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

OP I was roughly where you were a few years ago. I have a skinny frame but I had a lot of body fat and very little muscle naturally without training.
    Regular resistance training and eating a proper balanced diet ‘most’ of the time is the way forward.

I will say that I wasted about 18 months faffing around in the gym doing a bit of this and a bit of that initially, no structure and minimal progress. Do not fall in to this trap! I was a bit afraid of the free weights section and mainly stuck to machines.

The game changer for me was getting a personal trainer to show me the compound lifts and set out a structured programme. I cannot stress enough what a difference this made to me. If you are not already familiar with using a barbell / free weights I’d highly recommend booking a trainer or joining an S & C class.

Going by my experience you are probably looking at 3-4 months of sustained consistent effort before the results are very noticeable and people start to comment.

Watching your diet is equally important, lots of good info on here if you search. You probably need to maintain a small calorie deficit until that excess body fat is gone, presumably that is your goal? You can then be a bit more relaxed about your diet.

Thanks for the replies lads.

I was never what you would describe as heavy, my max weight was 12 stone 7 but still had the heavy appearance around the body.

In the last few weeks I began a diet program and the weight has fallen off me dramatically( 7 pounds in 2 weeks). My main goal is to build some muscle to give me a little strength, to get rid of the love handles and belly.

I'm no looking for miracles but a normal fit physique would be good.

I went on a fast for a week also..I ate nothing and just had a huge intake of water everyday, which made me feel good and helped shift a lot of the belly.

In terms of diet I may follow this guide: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/26-muscle-building-foods#section3

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

carzony wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies lads.

I was never what you would describe as heavy, my max weight was 12 stone 7 but still had the heavy appearance around the body.

In the last few weeks I began a diet program and the weight has fallen off me dramatically( 7 pounds in 2 weeks). My main goal is to build some muscle to give me a little strength, to get rid of the love handles and belly.

I'm no looking for miracles but a normal fit physique would be good.

I went on a fast for a week also..I ate nothing and just had a huge intake of water everyday, which made me feel good and helped shift a lot of the belly.

In terms of diet I may follow this guide: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/26-muscle-building-foods#section3

That fast would have been a waste for about 5 of those 7 days I'd say. The weight that fell off ya would be mostly water, some fat but also muscle. So in terms of building muscle you're probably starting further back the grid than you would have been.

Patience is key. And also knowledge from the right places and from the right people.

That article isn't a diet per sé. It's a list of beneficial foods to incorporate in to your diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Phillip876

Bulking can help in building muscles. After loosing certain amount of weight people follow the diet plan that corresponds with their fitness goals. If both workout and diet is kept resonated with each other, then the results will be easy to achieve.

• Advertisement
Advertisement