Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

elperello wrote: »
    Not Kelly, O'Riordain.

Even as he said it he checked himself.

I'd be inclined to give him a bye on it.

Ok my mistake, silly remark anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hmmmm insurance refunds,

I doubt very much this year, I get my car insurance through AN Post, policy with Avviva and not a cent of a refund, I believe Avviva were the only shower not to refund.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Caquas

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Hmmmm insurance refunds,

I doubt very much this year, I get my car insurance through AN Post, policy with Avviva and not a cent of a refund, I believe Avviva were the only shower not to refund.

Why no refund this year? I don’t believe the motor insurers are facing the normal level of claims.

Insurance Ireland CEO says there was an increase of 10% in serious accident claims last year although there was a reduction in minor accidents. If so, there is something very wrong with the lockdown. She seems to be saying people are avoiding the motorways and speeding on backroads. She also claims premiums are going down overall.I’m not seeing it.

The insurance regulator seems to deny there are fewer Increase of 10% in serious accidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Hmmmm insurance refunds,

I got a 15e refund last year. My car didn't leave the driveway for 3months.

Refunds, haha! An Post/AIG rewarded me by a €300 increase in premium. I then went straight to AIG website and got same cover for €50 less than last year.

Refunds, haha! An Post/AIG rewarded me by a €300 increase in premium. I then went straight to AIG website and got same cover for €50 less than last year.

Fair play but curious how you did this as an existing AIG customer, I understood if you've a policy through a broker (an post) but went direct to insurer, they wouldn't quote? Just curious as I might do the same in in a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

Switched over from Pat Kenny while he chatted with Mary Lou. I'm not sure which is worse...listening to Mary Lou's waffle or the ill-informed ignorance of Tanya Airey.

Cole wrote: »
    Switched over from Pat Kenny while he chatted with Mary Lou. I'm not sure which is worse...listening to Mary Lou's waffle or the ill-informed ignorance of Tanya Airey.

I can confirm both equally irratating albeit you've got to admit Tanya's surname quite Apt :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,582 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I can confirm both equally irratating albeit you've got to admit Tanya's surname quite Apt :)

I always thought it was her forename that is the most apt -

Tan Ya from Sunway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Is RBB on the toilet? A lot of heavy breathing going on

Is RBB on the toilet? A lot of heavy breathing going on

Not sure but certainly alot of verbal Diarrhea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Do we need to hear from people that can’t enjoy a lockdown

Do we need to hear from people that can’t enjoy a lockdown

But she's a people person (God help us), I'm getting depressed listening to her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

But she's a people person (God help us), I'm getting depressed listening to her

Can’t figure it out , she’s depressed because Patrons of the gym she works at are getting fat

Can’t figure it out , she’s depressed because Patrons of the gym she works at are getting fat

Jaazus if I was a member of her gym I'd be depressed

• Advertisement

Thank god that's over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

This one telling us to tidy our drawers has a voice like a buzz-saw.

This one telling us to tidy our drawers has a voice like a buzz-saw.

LOL, how old is this guest, Jesus Claire scrapped the barrel for guests today, just awful

I thought she had a sweet little voice but the phone line was doing her no favours.

It's surprising to me how important these mundane matters are becoming to people in lockdown.

A lot of little tasks that they never got around to are getting attended to.

Planning out the day and the sense of purpose in ticking items off the list is actually therapeutic for many in this new reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

It's akin to Feng Shui and the likes, many people take reassurance from an orderly existence.

That said, dedicating an interview to putting containers in an odds and ends drawer to keep it tidy is not cutting edge stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

LOL, how old is this guest, Jesus Claire scrapped the barrel for guests today, just awful
    Was it the guest or the topic that you had an issue with?

Because if it was the topic, then Claire does have some terrible topics on the programme, but I didn't find this to be one of them.

As regards the guest, we often complain on this forum about the same old guests being trotted out time after time.

They bring in someone different, and here people are complaining about that.

I didn't find her too bad. Not something that I was overly interested in, but not annoying enough to turn off or over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Oh dear, whiff of quakery about this.
    A disclaimer at the start would of been nice.

serfboard wrote: »
    Was it the guest or the topic that you had an issue with?

Because if it was the topic, then Claire does have some terrible topics on the programme, but I didn't find this to be one of them.

As regards the guest, we often complain on this forum about the same old guests being trotted out time after time.

They bring in someone different, and here people are complaining about that.

I didn't find her too bad. Not something that I was overly interested in, but not annoying enough to turn off or over.

Sorry, I actually did turn off, just checked back in and actually looking forward to the angelus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

This guy should really listen back to this interview back again if he ever plans to do further media. Arrogant smart ar$e.

Interesting commercial court decision, I wonder will government now stop financial supports of Pubs

FFS, this show turning into Xpose, Claire seems to auditioning for an afternoon show with Dáithí Ó Sé. How has, what was once RTE "s Radio's flagship current affairs show turn into discussions on period drama costumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

FFS, this show turning into Xpose, Claire seems to auditioning for an afternoon show with Dáithí Ó Sé. How has, what was once RTE "s Radio's flagship current affairs show turn into discussions on period drama costumes.

some garbage on there these days - had to turn it off
    Interesting commercial court decision, I wonder will government now stop financial supports of Pubs

i wonder what it will do to FBD finances, could they go to the wall ?

Just awful, you'd think there was no news happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Infoanon

In a word ,No. Unconnected issues.

The show is painful to listen to, two interviews in a row with people inventing obstacles in the middle of a pandemic - antoinette capable of putting obstacles in front of obstacles. You don't need to look very far to see the solutions on checking people are quarantining.

Claire bordering on being irresponsible with her commentary on the astra zeneca and over 70s - there is a simple explanation that either Claire isn't aware of or is too busy trying to emulate Joe Duffy.

Infoanon wrote: »
    In a word ,No. Unconnected issues.

The show is painful to listen to, two interviews in a row with people inventing obstacles in the middle of a pandemic - antoinette capable of putting obstacles in front of obstacles. You don't need to look very far to see the solutions on checking people are quarantining.

Claire bordering on being irresponsible with her commentary on the astra zeneca and over 70s - there is a simple explanation that either Claire isn't aware of or is too busy trying to emulate Joe Duffy.

Yes, Antoinette quite the pain the Arse, not a week goes by when she's not on moaning and whinging, she seems to think every serving garda requires a one on one chat with Justice Minister to explain their Duties, Tiresome nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Infoanon

i wonder what it will do to FBD finances, could they go to the wall ?

They should have enough reserves in place - I would imagine the Government would not let them fail

Infoanon wrote: »
    They should have enough reserves in place - I would imagine the Government would not let them fail

I heard €30 million put aside which is a fraction of what's required.

O dear, roll out the pain in tge Arse brigade this morning, Eddie O Sullivan FFS, bitter little man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭bossdrum

She already had an afternoon show with Daithi a few years ago.

She is totally unsuited to the show if this is what she prefers to talk about. It can't be a coincidence that her TV show and radio show have both dumbed down so much without her input
    Surely we can have one station in the country that people can listen to without being subjected to such drivel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

O dear, roll out the pain in tge Arse brigade this morning, Eddie O Sullivan FFS, bitter little man

ddint sound bitter there , seemed like pretty good analysis !

Kinda says it all when advert breaks only promoting more drival (Ray D'Arcy)

ddint sound bitter there , seemed like pretty good analysis !

Actually I agree, he must have had his bitter pills and weetabix this morning :)

But rich a FG Representative stating another party undermining NPHET

I really don't get why this quarantine issue has become so complicated. I get people's rights, I get legislation etc but the state introduces legislation, laws etc, there's plenty of empty hotels at the airport. If people choose to travel they choose to adhere to the rules, just get on with it

• Advertisement

bossdrum wrote: »
    She is totally unsuited to the show if this is what she prefers to talk about. It can't be a coincidence that her TV show and radio show have both dumbed down so much ...
    Surely we can have one station in the country that people can listen to without being subjected to such drivel.
    Between Tubridy and herself, Newstalk has been the main beneficiary of this listener's choice.

From 10:00 it used to be Radio1, then Newstalk. Now it's the other way around.

O Brien is almost as irratating as Norma Foley, suggesting there won't be an election for four years is widely ambitious

O Brien is almost as irratating as Norma Foley, suggesting there won't be an election for four years is widely ambitious

He's an ambitious guy.

As an aside I thought he definitely had his Weetabix this morning.

He'd nearly have interviewed himself.

He's an ambitious guy.

Too true but I'm amazed at these notions construction closed and 700/800 houses a week not being built due to lockdown, it's just absurd, at that rate the numbers being built would be multiples of what's actual being reported annually. He's was caught out though not being able to say who will benefit from these new help to buy schemes. Ultimately he's still a buffoon.

He's an ambitious guy.

He loves the sound of his own voice and like any good politician he believes the rubbish that he spouts. I've heard him being interviewed quite a few times and he comes across as quite condescending and borderline arrogant.

he comes across as ... borderline arrogant.
    Arrogance is a requirement for politicians.

• Advertisement

So is intelligence, well at least one would hope it is, but then again....................

Bit harsh there IMO.

However, a bit of self belief and a touch of confidence need to be in their toolbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,244 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A horse dentist is a guest today. The wedding planners, beauticians and Dr Coleman must all be off playing in the snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

What is MM not vaccinated?
    I assumed the cabinet had all been vaccinated at the start.

Madness if they haven't been.

What is MM not vaccinated?
    I assumed the cabinet had all been vaccinated at the start.

Madness if they haven't been.

I would have assumed that they would have been. Seems we were wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement