Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Last of the V8 Interceptors.. my XB Falcon Coupe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Starting to look like 2022 is the year, an 8 year build time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Daved_XB

Decided to drop the engine in now... this will not be a final install of the engine I don't think, I wanted to have it in as I need to workout a lot of ancillary stuff like the fuel lines, the oil breathers, the brackets for the Alt & power steering etc & rather than try & measure & guess stuff I've opted to put the engine in so I can be more precise with lines & locations of things. Unlike the time I test fitted this years ago before the car even went on the rotisserie we needed to be uber careful with this install so as to not scratch the paint.... huge thanks have to go to Mrs_XB who spent a few hours out in the shed with me helping to make this happen.

Normally I'd always pause & take a pic of the engine dangling up in the air over the empty engine bay, but I decided to not tempt fate this time & just went straight to the she's in pic

I've put the extractors in too so that I can't do anything dumb like run a fuel line too close to the exhaust etc... very happy with the room I have between the extractors & the car, makes a nice change from the nightmare that the GTO had been 

Now because I've decided to not fit a bonnet with a scoop on it to the car, I'm no longer 100% sure that the carb & air cleaner will actually fit under the bonnet... it'll be close

The Rad & fans fit with the engine... it's a close fit but I have 12mm of gap, so that's a win 

This rad is a lot thicker than the stock unit, so the factory brackets won't fit this one

Step one make up some lower brackets for it to sit on

I still need to put a vertical plate on to stop the rad from moving & then paint them & glue some rubber onto them, now to make some top brackets

I've fitted in the strut bracing too now as the next few jobs will be sorting out where to install the ancillaries like the fuel regulator, oil breather catch can & the ICE ignition box etc...  

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

It really is a thing of beauty.

• Advertisement

The last little bits that my painter had are being sorted.. the wing was stripped back to metal, he was super impressed that I had an original metal one & not one of the later fiberglass or plastic repops 

Now it's painted up & ready to go on.. well after I fit the boot lid on the car it will be

The rear taillight housings are now also ready to go in... that little silver outline took ages to mask off neatly I'm told, but they look awesome. Can't wait to the get the new lenses I have installed & get them in the car 

Went out this afternoon & fitted the lights with new foam gaskets 

Then the new lenses 

I've also fitted the boot lid (gaps still to be sorted 100%) & the rear wing... I've fitted the rear wing the same way it was when I bought the car but I do wonder if it's actually on backwards.. might have to go & look closely at some old pics of XB GT's at Bathurst to confirm

Yeah, that angle doesn't look right....not that it'll give you much downforce anyway, but you at least don't want lift...

Your correct the angle is way off, but I hadn't set that yet, wanted to be sure the wing was on the right way first.

I went thru all my XB pics (thousands of them) found some with the wing on my way & others on the other way round... so that didn't help really. Spoke to some folks who I know own unrestored examples that have never been apart & theirs's are mounted this way.

Dug up a load of racing XB pics & this seems to be the 100% consistent angle of attack that all of the race teams ran, so I'll adjust mine this way later today when I get a chance just so it has extra downforce to keep it on the hoist 

Looks like I have a few options for where to install the catch can.... there is a lot of space up front forward of the strut tower on either side, but I think I'll look to install the radiator overflow bottle & the ICE ignition box up front but that might make it a little cramped, I'm not just going for function here... I'd also like the engine bay to look nice when I'm finished. Pretty sure my plan is also 100% to put the battery in the boot & not up here in the bay, but I may change my mind on that later

I was thinking that I'd mount it on the side here just behind the strut tower as that would make the -12AN lines & fittings super simple to make up 

but I've just remembered that the 3 threaded bolts you see sticking out of the firewall that used to hold a canister won't be used... so I think that using them as the standoffs to bolt a bracket to makes perfect sense so I think that's where it will live

I'll need to work out the line & fittings as I said but I reckon that's it

• Advertisement

I now have the wing set at full Bathurst attack angle & all the nuts tightened up 

I also want to get more panels out of the house & onto the car now, Mrs_XB has been awesome but the fact that we have lost a full spare room now for nearly a year is a bit of a joke & also we have friends starting to come over again & I'd hate to have one of their kids scratch a panel... the hassle of hiding a body is just not something I need right now... so I've put the lower rear valance panel on...

The way the sides bolt up is very awkward to get to so I've only done up the centre bolts for now as this panel will have to come off when/if the rear bumper ever gets re-chromed as the bumper brackets need to scrape past the panel if it's left on to install the bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

That car will be perfection

Finished up a chunk more of the arse end... I fitted the boot lock barrel & most importantly the rear honeycomb trim, it really sets off the rear end.

The boot hinge springs are in now too, the only thing left to be done at the rear here is to get the rear bumper re-chromed & slapped on

But that's not all... the doors have been put back on & aligned now... just need to fit the handles & the door locks, I'll look to polish them up one night this week & fit them

Then I decided to put the eyebrow moulds & the inner brackets on the front guards.....

Then I decided sod it, I'll whack them on the car for now so they are not laying about in the house taking up room & risking getting hit by visitors... I haven't full set the gaps yet as the bonnet needs to be on to do that 100% but they are on close enough & the doors can open & close with no interference so that's the most important thing I guess 

Then moved over & fit the other side

Then I fit the front lower valance panel 

Then the grill went on

The the door mirrors

I have no idea how both my painter & I missed the fact that there is patch of little to no paint on that mirror, but it obviously needs to come off & go back for repainting, I have a few other small parts on order to keep moving forward... but Sunday afternoon I just sat back & had a cold drink & basked in the glory that is how awesome I think this car is looking... it's been a long road but it's paying off 

Trying to get some more of the little details sorted... I was going to clean & polish the old door handles, but they are actually pitted so they won't really come up as good as I would like them...

So a new set will be used

Trying to get some more of the little details sorted... I was going to clean & polish the old door handles, but they are actually pitted so they won't really come up as good as I would like them... so a new set will be used

This is actually a bit of a blessing as the XB should have 2 keys, one for the boot & then one that will do both doors & the ignition barrel... but either my ignition or the door locks had been swapped out in the past so I had a key for the boot, one for the doors & then a 3rd to actually start the car... so I've ordered a new door lock & ignition barrel set.

I still have the original sealed Hella spot lights, but the silver backing is peeling off the inside so I have gotten a new set to replace them now

I found another casualty of the storing boxes of car parts for years... one of the front indicator lenses is broken

I've ordered both sides as I'm not sure how the colours will look & I didn't want it looking like two very different lenses.. so I will probably end up using both of the new ones

I also trail fitted my front splitter

Sadly this isn't a great fit at all.... in fact it's shite... it's fine at the sides but the middle section has a huge curve in it that should not be there... I don't think I can pull it straight either without snapping off the mounting brackets that do line up... I wonder if I can gently heat it & bend it that way? Anyone got any good ideas on how to make it straight??? 

Here is a pic of a mates genuine original 1975 one & it connects flat up in the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

Two months without an update 😔

Listen, many of us wait endless months for a Binky update and we just relish them when they land. :p

I'm guessing that, since Australia is only recently after coming out of lockdown, it's to be expected that progress would slow down as the options for how to spend time expand.

Yep.... sorry, a few things are happening to cause this. Mostly the lack of posts in this threads is due to the progress happening in the Ute restoration thread on here. I've cracked the **** as they say with the fact that my Mate isn't living up to his side of the agreement & he never comes over to work on his Ute, I have now had it in my shed for a full year & I'm now focused 100% on finishing my work on it off & getting it the hell out of my shed to get back the space, it's forever in my way & I have to constantly move it about & now every time I open the shed door & I see it I get annoyed so it has to go.

Also Dilbert is correct here... we endured the longest lockdown of any city in the world & that has meant that I'm taking any opportunity to have fun outside of my shed as I can... I've lost a few good shed working weekends to the following:

Track days in my Bullitt Mustang

We had the return of the F1 here in Melbourne after 2 years away...

Then this 4 day long weekend just gone it was my Mates 50th Birthday, now he lives in Adelaide so that meant it was a wonderful 1500klm roadtrip over & back to have a few beers with him...

There is a huge Falcon Coupe car show later on in the year & as such I have a massive deadline looming so I will be back onto this soon as I can't miss that as they are an event that they only run every 2 years. I still have a bit left on the Ute, but I think I can be finished that by the end of April & then back into this full time again in May.... maybe, no promises but thanks for checking in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

All good bloke. Good to hear it’s still ticking away. Greetings from Perth btw

With the GTO running right again, time to get back onto this old girl. I decided against trying to polish up my old key locks for the doors as they had way too many dents, so I've gone with a new set now

I also decided to go with new inner door latch mechanisms rather than pulling old ones apart & rebuilding them as they are very worn & they would have a lot of slop in them even after a rebuild.

The doors have all new hardware now, next job will be to look at the window winding mechanisms to see if they can be cleaned & reused or if they too are a little to worn & should be replaced. 

I need to drag out my large pile of unobtainium chrome trims that I've gathered over the years, work out which bits are best & see about getting them & the bumpers re-chromed. I also need to pull out the wiring loom & stop avoiding that little project just because I don't know what I'm doing.... I mean that's never stopped me in the past has it. 

Got back into this over the weekend.... it's so cold here in Melbourne that it's just not funny anymore. It was -1 when I got up this morning. My diesel heater is getting a good work out.

I've decided that I'd rather have the underfloor of the car painted black than red, so that was an easy fix but means I wasted all that time tinting the colour in the first place.

Next job was to test fit the new AOD transmission... this is slightly longer & slightly wider that any of the original 3 speed Auto or 4 speed manual boxes that Ford Aus fitted to these XB's so it'll be a case of some modification may be required... but lets see. I think I could probably install it with the headers in place but why make my life hard for no reason.. so out they come

I'll install the sandwich plate as that moved the box back 2mm & that might make a difference to where the rear crossmember bolts up but I'll leave the flywheel off for now

Speaking of transmission crossmembers, this one will bolt up here.... Ford Aus have 3 locating holes ready to accept it for the different options they had back in 75.. I know that the AOD is longer but the mount for the crossmember seems further forward on the AOD that it was on the C4 that came out so maybe this line up as there is a bit of sliding room in the mounting holes on the car & also in the bolt slots cut into the crossmember itself

And... we have a total fail... but not for the reasons that I had thought we'd fail here... it looks like it will fit with little to no mods needed to how the crossmember bolts up... but where we failed was the trans bellhousing to engine block bolts for the C4 that I have are way to short to fit... the webbing on the AOD where the bolts go thru is thicker that the C4 mounting bolts are long

This was Sunday afternoon & I drove around several hardware shops & not one of them had a single 7/16" bolt in stock, so not that they didn't have a length I could use in stock but nothing at all in the 7/16th range... I have ordered some bolts online & hopefully I can finish this test fit properly this weekend, assuming the bolts rock up as they claim they will. 

For now I just have some long thinner bolts going thru the trans bellhousing bolt holes & thru the engine side holes to hold it in place... the rear crossmember is bolted in so that's good, but you can see the trans is not pulled up tight to the block at all

I've held the exhaust hearers up in place & they seem to hit hard on the exhaust cut out part of the crossmember... so that's good, once I have the AOD properly bolted in I'll look a little closer at that issue & see what I can do.

I also need to work out how I can route the trans cooler lines to the dedicated cooler I want to mount up front... the neatest solution would be to drill two holes to allow for AN bulkhead fittings to pass thru but I'm not sure I want to drill two dirty big holes in the radiator support panel... I'll think on that 

I had never re-test fitted the drop tank in the boot after I finally got the rear suspension set up fixed with new brackets... with the old brackets that where too short & pulled the mumford link arms too far forward it just snagged on the tank... with the new brackets that move the link arms further back in the car away from the diff pumpkin... it's now a full show stopper.. the tank hits by well over an inch..... bugger.... right so my options are sell this tank on & have one custom made to suit or cut a chunk out of this one & reshape it to fit... I'm leaning towards cutting this tank right now. 

Ignore the glass of wine above that was for medicinal purposes only when I'd realised that nothing fit on Sunday..... maybe I should just sell it & buy a Prius 

The bolts I ordered turned up.... I had ordered a few different lengths to be sure I'd have the right ones

Sadly they sent me the wrong size.... they sent 5/8 instead of 7/16..... FML

I've managed to grab some stainless 7/16 bolts today, I wouldn't use them for the final install but they'll do for now whilst I await for the right grade bolts in 7/16 to turn up

I remembered the other night that I had not only bought a set of new engine mounts from an Aussie company called Tuff Mounts but I had in fact also ordered a new gearbox mount at the same time... 

So I removed the original old worn one & it was pretty worn... 

Installed the correct size bolts to snug the trans bellhousing tight up to the block

With that done I can happily say that the crossmember bolts up to the car using a factory supplied hole, the bolt is in at a slight angle & I think I need to clearance the hole by 1mm to make it perfect... but I'm calling this a win for a transmission that was never designed to go into this car & I had been told would need modification to fit.

Next step was to see if the extractors will fit as they are huge compared to the stock exhausts & this transmission is a little fatter that the C4's or FMX transmissions these cars had, lets start with the passenger side as that one was the easiest to bolt back on... it just about clears the exhaust cutaway in the crossmember, it's too close to run it like that as it will vibrate into the crossmember for sure, it's also just resting on the folded edge of the trans oil pan... that's not so big of an issue as the engine, trans & exhaust are all bolted together & should move a single unit.. but I'll still look to gain some clearance here. I thought I had a set of exhaust gaskets already, turns out I didn't so that are on order & these will be 1mm-1.5mm thick metal ones, so they may actually space out the exhaust & give me the clearance I need... so I would hack into anything until I've installed them as every mm here could make the difference.

The drivers side was a bit more of a ballache to fit... the exhaust tubing is way too bit to fit in between the trans & the underfloor of the car because of the round bulge to accommodate the starter motor, I had visions of having to remove the trans again & lay this exhaust up in the cavity & reinstall the trans.. then I gambled that if I removed the steering rack that I might have enough space to slide the exhaust up from a lower angle.. so out comes the steering, well unbolted & moved aside whilst still attached to the steering arms is all that was needed

With the steering rack swung out of the way I was able to install it & the clearance issues are pretty much identical to the passenger side

Another hurdle cleared... with only a little bit of fettling & we really are talking mm's here the AOD transmission & the massive exhaust's will fit  

I ordered some bling for the engine bay... found a company up in Brisbane who make shiny billet gas strut bonnet hinges for XA/XB/XC Falcons... so I ordered a set

​​​​​​​Just hope they fit & function as described... if not I'll have to fall back to plan B & repolish the existing set that I had chromed way back when I fist bought the car over 20 years ago

• Advertisement

I installed the gaskets on the weekend & they did really move the exhaust, so I'm glad I waited to do that before doing any clearance work. On the drivers side it's only the raised weld now that it touches the transmission oil pan, I think I'll just gently bend the pan in that spot & that should sort that.

The end of the exhaust is no longer touching the crossmember on the drivers side either, it's still too close & the cross member will have to be modified but not by much so I'm happy about that.

I'll need to find an O2 to test the install fit here, I suspect that it wouldn't fit right now, so again some extra clearance needed here

The passenger side is even better, it doesn't touch the trans pan at all... but I'll still probably gently bend the edge of the pan to put another mm or 2 gap in there.

The crossmember end is just clear but again some modification will be made here to give better clearance... but nothing major is needed so happy days.

Advertisement