Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes at 2FM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Thankfully i have no idea who he is:D

Thankfully you commented so we could keep the conversation going!:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Thankfully you commented so we could keep the conversation going!:confused::confused::confused:

I thought much of what was said about him was untrue he was on today with Claire Byrne. Only know about him from Twitter and I ignored that as much as I could

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

That didn't work out too well for Marty Guilfoyle living with 18/19 year olds in the Tik Tok house!!!!

A good few people in that house were in their 20s. Think Dara Tah is 28/29? Whole thing was completely thrown out of proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

flazio wrote: »

His final show was this evening 5pm to 7pm.
    Final song was Manic Street Preachers 'Motorcycle Emptiness'...
    I remember when presenters left 2FM ...it was a long build up to their final show and it was regarded as a big fuss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Double O Seven

I remember when presenters left 2FM ...it was a long build up to their final show and it was regarded as a big fuss!

I'm kinda surprised that he even got a last show, poor Ruth Scott, despite being one of their longest serving djs of all time got no good bye at all. Ditto with Damian Farrelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Motorcycle Emptiness, what a tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭cena

when keith started the weekend show he wasn't very happy about it

cena wrote: »
    when keith started the weekend show he wasn't very happy about it

Tbh I dont get why 2fm threw the baby out with the bathwater in the summer 2019 reshuffle by axing breakfast republic, it had grown steadily over the 5 years. I think breakfast republic should have been a long-term brand for 2fm like the strawberry alarm clock on 104.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I liked Keith on rte gold.. they must think he dosent fit the demographic they are after on 2FM. Only reason Dave Fannin is still on is cos he is a lifer there and they cant move him.

Only reason Dave Fannin is still on is cos he is a lifer there and they cant move him.

Dave is not RTE staff but he is a lifer in terms of being part of the original 2FM line up and what he has done for Irish music since late 70s / his U2 connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭cena

Jen is a horrible radio host. I'll take lottie ryan over her

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭RINO87

I'm kinda surprised that he even got a last show, poor Ruth Scott, despite being one of their longest serving djs of all time got no good bye at all. Ditto with Damian Farrelly

Yeah but Ruth and Damien were pretty bad. As interesting as margarine.

RINO87 wrote: »
    Yeah but Ruth and Damien were pretty bad. As interesting as margarine.

They lasted on 2FM longer than keith walsh. are you saying he was interesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

A bit of a sweeping statement there. Quite a few were there longer than Ruth Scott. Incidentally, it says on Linkedin 18 years and 1 month, but she left it for a while to co-host a show on 98FM!
    Others who were there longer include:
    Dave Fanning
    Larry Gogan
    Gerry Ryan
    Ian Dempsey
    John Clarke
    Mr. Spring
    Aidan Leonard

Maybe Will Leahy as well.

A bit of a sweeping statement there. Quite a few were there longer than Ruth Scott. Incidentally, it says on Linkedin 18 years and 1 month, but she left it for a while to co-host a show on 98FM!
    Others who were there longer include:
    Dave Fanning
    Larry Gogan
    Gerry Ryan
    Ian Dempsey
    John Clarke
    Mr. Spring
    Will Leahy

Also Michael McNamara (Micky Mac) 1979 to 1999 !!

Ian was 1980 to 1998, so not over 18 years!!

There were a few presenters who were there for exactly 18 years such as Tony Fenton 1985 to 2003, Barry Lang 1980 to 1998 !!

Also Michael McNamara (Micky Mac) 1979 to 1999 !!

There were a few presenters who were there for exactly 18 years such as Tony Fenton 1985 to 2003, Barry Lang 1980 to 1998 !!

The months are important here as Ruth Scott says 18 years and 1 month, if we ignore the fact that she was with 98FM for some of that! So, Ian Dempsey was 18 years and 4 months. What about Toners and Barry Lang?

Tony started on Radio 2 the night Springsteen played Slane: June 1985 and left the station in March 2003, so a few months shy of 18 years!!

Barry started in 1980 (not sure what month) probably around the same time as Ian did in March 1980??.
    Barry finished on 2FM in February 1998 and his final songs were Ace "How long" and then The Walker Brothers "No Regrets"

Ian was 1980 to 1998, so not over 18 years!!

Ian does count because he was 18 years and 4 months!

Tony started on Radio 2 the night Springsteen played Slane: June 1985 and left the station in March 2003, so a few months shy of 18 years!!

Barry started in 1980 (not sure what month) probably around the same time as Ian did in March 1980??.
    Barry finished on 2FM in February 1998 and his final songs were Ace "How long" and then The Walker Brothers "No Regrets"
    You've a good memory!

Anyway, Ruth Scott may not be in the Top 10 longest by the time we're finished!

• Advertisement

Ian does count because he was 18 years and 4 months!

That was my post before I researched Ian starting in March 1980..thought it was late Summer for some reason.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Tbh I dont get why 2fm threw the baby out with the bathwater in the summer 2019 reshuffle by axing breakfast republic, it had grown steadily over the 5 years. I think breakfast republic should have been a long-term brand for 2fm like the strawberry alarm clock on 104.
    The reason it was called Breakfast Republic in the first place was to tie in with Jennifer and Bernards TV show Republic of Telly. Keith Walsh got involved because 1. He was an actual DJ who knew how to work a mixing desk and 2. He'd done a breakfast radio show with Bernard before on i105-107 (iRadio NE)
    Looks like Bernard wanted to leave radio anyway and while Jen was still on maternity there wasn't any connection to Republic of Telly anymore.
    Hence the drop and replacement with Doireann and Eoin.

flazio wrote: »
    The reason it was called Breakfast Republic in the first place was to tie in with Jennifer and Bernards TV show Republic of Telly. Keith Walsh got involved because 1. He was an actual DJ who knew how to work a mixing desk and 2. He'd done a breakfast radio show with Bernard before on i105-107 (iRadio NE)
    Looks like Bernard wanted to leave radio anyway and while Jen was still on maternity there wasn't any connection to Republic of Telly anymore.
    Hence the drop and replacement with Doireann and Eoin.

It maybe the case but it survived for 3 years after the end of the series, breakfast republic was not a bad brand, what's the name of the show how?

Or Fully Charged on SPIN 1038, which has had three different sets of presenters since its launch in autumn 2008.

Elmo wrote: »
    It maybe the case but it survived for 3 years after the end of the series, breakfast republic was not a bad brand, what's the name of the show how?

Now it's just called 2fm Breakfast with Doireann & Eoghan

Now it's just called 2fm Breakfast with Doireann & Eoghan

Surely it's RTÉ 2fm Breakfast!!!

Blathnaid Tracey did Keith Walsh's old slot this evening

Am I correct in saying that News on 2FM only airs between 7am and 7pm Monday to Friday, but that sports bulletins air on the station until 10pm each night and on Saturday and Sunday I assume until around 10pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 WesternStorm

Elmo wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying that News on 2FM only airs between 7am and 7pm Monday to Friday, but that sports bulletins air on the station until 10pm each night and on Saturday and Sunday I assume until around 10pm?

As a fairly regular 2fm listener this sounds mostly correct, only difference I can think of is that I do hear a news update at 6:30 am on my commute to work.

• Advertisement

there was a new guy on with a VERY country accent on today, in keith walsh's old 5 to 7 pm slot.
    like a guy you'd hear on a regional youth station.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement