Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Rum/Ron/Rhum are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Jumping on the Salvado bandwagon.

Picked up a couple of bottles in Aldi

Had it neat with some dried figs and in a mojito and enjoyed both immensely.

I'll grab a few more. Whats the plan for this beer will we see it in the stores for sometime to come or is it fairly limited?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i picked up the last bottle of Salvado in Aldi. bottle looks great.

opened it up last night and i was disappointed. The taste reminds me of Sea Dog Dark Rum. It has very strong flavour that overpower the palate.
    To each his own, and all that! if you have ever tried sea dog and liked it this might be the rum for you. But for me, its a no thanks.

to sum up, it is a light coloured spiced rum, but tasted like dark rum. Id rather drink 'captain cook' or 'old hopkins' rums which are the generic aldi and lidl spiced rums. Even swamped in coke it left a taste in my mouth that i didnt like.

If im honest coke on its own would have been nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

limnam wrote: »

I'll grab a few more. Whats the plan for this beer will we see it in the stores for sometime to come or is it fairly limited?

It's a one off for now.
    But Boyle's Gin was originally a one off, too.

to sum up, it is a light coloured spiced rum, but tasted like dark rum. .

Salvado is NOT spiced.
    I wouldn't describe it as light, either, but that's subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Cazale wrote:
    Picked up a bottle of Salvado earlier. Looking forward to opening it.

It should come with a health warning. It's dangerously drinkable!

The missus is away for a couple of nights so I'm home alone. For some strange reason I decided to do a bit of work in the house and have the Salvado open in the kitchen so I've been having a sneaky sip of it in between jobs. It's a lovely drop and as you say dangerously drinkable. As the day has progressed I've been doing sneaky jobs in between rums! I will have to pick another bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Cazale wrote: »
    The missus is away for a couple of nights so I'm home alone. For some strange reason I decided to do a bit of work in the house and have the Salvado open in the kitchen so I've been having a sneaky sip of it in between jobs. It's a lovely drop and as you say dangerously drinkable. As the day has progressed I've been doing sneaky jobs in between rums! I will have to pick another bottle.

Was sipping away at it last night watching Mad Men. Kept going for just one more episode, one more glass. Ideal show to watch while sipping. New bottle required today when the paracetamol kicks in!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,290 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You missed your calling as a navy or pirate deck hand :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭grizzcol2

just picked up a bottle of it in Aldi Belgard (loads in stock there) - looking forward to trying it later

while following beer's recommendations I don't think he's ever steered me wrong and no exception here.

Plantation 20th Anniversary XO Rum.

This is sweeter than my reference point. Flor De Cana 25yo. Not as balanced or
    as complex. While it's not as balanced the sweetness is just about right for my tastes. Apparently it's spent it's last few years in Cognac casks and that's very identifiable on the nose.

Some really nice notes mango/pineapple/overly ripe banana/caramel with hints of spice. There's mention of coconut on the tasting notes but I don't get any of that.

Enjoying some Salvado with a bit of hummus and manchego watching the Liverpool match. Picked up another bottle of it today.

• Advertisement

limnam wrote:
    Plantation 20th Anniversary XO Rum.

limnam wrote:
    Some really nice notes mango/pineapple/overly ripe banana/caramel with hints of spice. There's mention of coconut on the tasting notes but I don't get any of that.

I have a sample of this to try. In reading up about rum Plantation is one brand that keeps popping up. I like the sound of this or the Pineapple rum that teeling used as a finish. A full bottle of one is definitely on the list.

I have a sample of this to try. In reading up about rum Plantation is one brand that keeps popping up. I like the sound of this or the Pineapple rum that teeling used as a finish. A full bottle of one is definitely on the list.

I don't think the pineapple one is actually rum - more of a rum liqueur.
    I really do like their products, though.

Next up

Plantation Grande Reserve Rum.

Some similarities to the XO. The nose is much more forward and jumps out of the glass with a lot more citrus,spices and what I'm going to call a floral hit.

While it's not overly challenging there's something really un-usual/interesting about it that drives you back in for another sip

More buttery mouthful than the XO and overall a really enjoyable rum.

I've a feeling plantation and I are going to get on very well on this journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Next up

Some similarities to the XO. The nose is much more forward and jumps out of the glass with a lot more citrus,spices and what I'm going to call a floral hit.

While it's not overly challenging there's something really un-usual/interesting about it that drives you back in for another sip

Where's the best source for this Plantation nectar? I'm definitely getting into trying more rum this year.

Where's the best source for this Plantation nectar? I'm definitely getting into trying more rum this year.

Celtic Whiskey shop has a few and drinkstore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Next up

Have always liked Plantation..bought a few of these a couple of years ago.
    This one is getting dusty..time to crack it open :)

Have always liked Plantation..bought a few of these a couple of years ago.
    This one is getting dusty..time to crack it open :)

Nice glasses!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭toffeeshel

Bumping this up by saying that Salvado is back in Aldi

If in Cork you might want to hurry up as I'm cleaning them out :D

I'm on my third bottle of it. Still very much a rum novice but I'm enjoying it and the price is decent too.

• Advertisement

I’m a rum novice myself but enjoying the occasional tipple. Not quite at the stage of drinking rum neat but loving mixing it with ginger ale

May I ask if you drink any other spirits neat?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

got a bottle of Wood's Old Navy Rum, reviews are good, will open over the weekend to complement the barrage of fireworks on the 31st.

Wood's Old Navy Rum - Master of Malt

I’m not a regular spirit drinker. I would occasionally drink a whiskey neat. I would probably take a sip of the rum neat before adding ginger ale. I would like to be able to differentiate the flavours in rum but to be honest my drinking of rum is usually after a few pints and therefore probably not the ideal time to appreciate the subtleties of flavours. I can’t really see myself sipping on a few glasses of neat spirits over an evening

The reason I asked is because some people just don't like drinking spirits straight. But really, if you can enjoy one spirit neat, you should have no problem drinking any spirit neat. I love neat gin, for example and can never understand why someone who drinks, for example, straight whiskey, would baulk at that.

Nothing wrong with mixing rum, either, though (or any other spirit)

I would probably drink a neat spirit too quickly which might not end well. I do try to use good quality spirits and mixers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Killowen has a peated rum I see.

Some Islay whiskies still work with a fruity Sherry element so I wouldn’t totally rule out that it could work.

But I suspect since it’s an Irish peated whisky barrel that was used the other possibility is it will not be very discernible?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Which Irish peated barrel did they use?

• Advertisement

Probably abhorrent for some on here but I see a premixed can of Havana Club spiced with cola on the shelves. Eye-catching can.

Advertisement