Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Depends on the rate of exchange and I’d imagine FedEx’s freight cost will put it over the amount for VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

Does anyone know for certain one way or the other if there are customs charges on books ordered from online shops outside the EU?

I thought books were exempt. There are never any extra charges on books from Amazon so I thought it was safe enough and made an order from another UK shop. I've since been looking at more shops that only sell books and the websites all mention customs charges so now I'm unsure. I can't seem to find a definitive answer searching here on boards and elsewhere online.

I've ordered about €37 worth of second hand non-fiction reference books and I want to make sure it won't be an issue when they arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Does anyone know for certain one way or the other if there are customs charges on books ordered from online shops outside the EU?

I thought books were exempt. There are never any extra charges on books from Amazon so I thought it was safe enough and made an order from another UK shop. I've since been looking at more shops that only sell books and the websites all mention customs charges so now I'm unsure. I can't seem to find a definitive answer searching here on boards and elsewhere online.

I've ordered about €37 worth of second hand non-fiction reference books and I want to make sure it won't be an issue when they arrive.

Books are at 0% VAT rate here afaik so there shouldn't be any additional charge.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Looking up the revenue site, it gives this link: https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/value-added-tax/part03-taxable-transactions-goods-ica-services/Goods/goods-printed-matter.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Hi guys,

Friend looking to import a space saver wheel from UK, is £170 including postage.

Am I right in saying he will pay 23% vat on this £39 plus handling fee?

https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/product/audi-a3-2012-present-day-17-space-saver-spare-wheel-and-tool-kit/

• Advertisement

See 1st in thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

Just a quick question, I'm thinking of ordering from UK using Address Pal. I know I have to Pay address Pal fee of €6.50 and 23% VAT of Value + Postage. (It under €150 so no customs duty).

Am I able to claim back the Vat from the UK retailer? As the goods are being consumed in Ireland whcih is why I'm paying Irish VAt but surely shouldn't need to pay UK Vat As well.

Would appreciate some advice. Thanks

You would have to contact HMRC. Using AddressPal means it is going to a UK address as far as the UK retailer are concerned and they have to charge VAT. This question has been asked before but not answered.

I will move this post over to the Addresspal thread in the couriers forum, as it is pertinent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

Just a quick question, I'm thinking of ordering from UK using Address Pal. I know I have to Pay address Pal fee of €6.50 and 23% VAT of Value + Postage. (It under €150 so no customs duty).

Am I able to claim back the Vat from the UK retailer? As the goods are being consumed in Ireland whcih is why I'm paying Irish VAt but surely shouldn't need to pay UK Vat As well.

Would appreciate some advice. Thanks

You can't claim back from the UK retailer, either they sell to you without UK VAT or you claim back from HMRC. You will have to satisfy the UK retailer that the goods are being exported out of the UK for them to exclude the VAT and to claim back from HMRC you will have to prove the exportation has been completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,513 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Reminder:
    On 01 July, the VAT exemption value up to EUR 22 will be removed. This means all goods imported in the EU will now be subject to VAT.https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/vat/vat-e-commerce_en

Get those basic things from Aliexpress at al beforehand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

zell12 wrote: »
    Reminder:

Get those basic things from Aliexpress at al beforehand!

What happens if you order something before the 1st of July and it doesn't arrive until after? Do they go by the date of purchase or the date it enters the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

What happens if you order something before the 1st of July and it doesn't arrive until after? Do they go by the date of purchase or the date it enters the EU?

date of entry

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

Wooden Shelf fabricated to specifications - 205 Sterling
    Shipping via UPS 166.36 Sterling
    Invoice total 371.36 Sterling

UPS pre-delivery charges 18.45 Euro
    UPS applied taxes 140.13 euro
    Delivery total 158.58 Euro

Jesus, Mary & Joseph and the wee donkey, feel like I've been scammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Tazium wrote: »

166 sterling for shipping from uk to ireland .. how big is the shelf? :eek:

Pretty big 187cm long, 35cm wide.

That is wrong from UPS anyway. VAT @ 23% should be about €99ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

whiterebel wrote: »
    That is wrong from UPS anyway. VAT @ 23% should be about €99ish.

You're right. Assumed there was duty included due to value but just checked and should be 0% duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 acork

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Wonder what ALIEXPRESS will do going forward ?

Just learnt about Import VAT from 1st of July.

It is just not fair - 15 euro socks costing you 27 euro in the end. Ireland should manufacture things and actually earn money, not just collect tolls.

Anyhow, I will buy from AliExpress european warehouses.

We used to have clothing manufacturing in Ireland, and guess what? Asian manufacturing countries cut the ass out of the prices.........The good news now is that Aliexpress will be paying tax into the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 acork

The sad news is that it will not bring clothing manufacturing back to Ireland.

• Advertisement

How do DHL Express collect VAT? Do they charge on the doorstep (so I would probably need to have the exact amount ready) or do they send an invoice after delivery? Just want to be prepared. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭VG31

How do DHL Express collect VAT? Do they charge on the doorstep (so I would probably need to have the exact amount ready) or do they send an invoice after delivery? Just want to be prepared. Thank you.

AFAIK they send you a link by text to pay online. Unlike UPS and FedEx they won't deliver until you pay.

Tazium wrote: »

Dispute opened, UPS non-responsive with auto-reply indicating 45 days to respond. Escalated to my bank, payment reversed and dispute form completed. Updated UPS all the way, and not being unwilling to pay, I want to pay the correct amount. It's up to them now to show the charges and request payment... again

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

VG31 wrote: »
    AFAIK they send you a link by text to pay online. Unlike UPS and FedEx they won't deliver until you pay.

Thanks VG,

Have a package from China in FedEx Dublin. Will they contact me by email/text for payment of customs/duties.

Would like to pay/release ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭VG31

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Thanks VG,

Have a package from China in FedEx Dublin. Will they contact me by email/text for payment of customs/duties.

Would like to pay/release ASAP.

I think FedEx usually deliver it to you first and then send a bill by post later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

VG31 wrote: »
    I think FedEx usually deliver it to you first and then send a bill by post later.

I got a delivery from Fedex last Tuesday and got invoice via email today. Paid on their site but it timed out and I got "unable to complete transaction" message. The amount was debited from my account so just emailed them with proof of payment and asked them to confirm receipt of funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 walmon1977

I am just about this to send this to my brother via courier from London to Ireland. I have searched online via the various tools but I am none the wiser on the tariff code. I think it might start with 8536. Anyone got any insight?

https://www.powerprobetek.com/product/power-probe-4/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

Without knowing what exactly it is or does but could you call it a multimeter, or does that do more than a multimeter?

Multimeters for voltage, current, resistance or electrical power, without recording device - 9030320000

• Registered Users Posts: 9 walmon1977

Thank you. That should narrow it down and it's something similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭paddyirish23

Hi all
    Sorry I'm hoping someone might be able to help I'm looking to buy a guinness tap from the UK for abt 200 pounds but am struggling to work out if I'll get caught for vat and import charges.
    Does any know how much roughly it would be?? Cheers in advance!

Advertisement