Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Feeder

crasy dash wrote: »
    Lucky you think i might be able to head to one :D.
    Must do a bit of research who did you fly with feel free to pm as i do not want to take this thread off topic.

Can you include me in those PM's also re the Italian trip ? Considering a match over but would go to 2 if the timings and cost worked out OK

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Soooo...expectations?

Team Achievements

- Qualifying from the ERCC pool is a realistic expectation
    - Pro12 expectation should be at least a playoff spot and a home semi-final should be a realistic goal.
    - Taking a leaf out of the strategic plan here: to be the top Irish team within the interprovincial derbies.
    - We haven't beaten Leinster away since 2008/09 so that scalp would be very welcome!

Player/Unit Specific

- Some backplay and good attacks off first phase - basically banishing the phantom known as Simon Mannix.
    - That Duncan Casey fulfils his potential, he's my bolter tip for a squad spot at RWC15.
    - Robin Copeland and/or CJ Stander have big boots to fill after the loss of James Coughlan. Coughlan was coming to the end but was still playing at a high standard.
    - Developing a replacement for BJ Botha - realistically this is his last year. Archer has shown promise but he needs to stop getting injured at crucial times.
    - Developing a backup for Conor Murray - Sheridan is decent and Williams is never going to be an option. There are three scrumhalves in the academy, the only position where there are three players for one field position, so this seems to an issue the management are keen to address. Those academy players are likely to get an opportunity during the season following the departure of Gerry Hurley. Former academy player Paul Rowley is now on London Welsh's books too so he might be one to watch, he was unlucky to be in the same year of the academy as Murray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Soooo...expectations?

Team Achievements

- Qualifying from the ERCC pool is a realistic expectation
    - Pro12 expectation should be at least a playoff spot and a home semi-final should be a realistic goal.
    - Taking a leaf out of the strategic plan here: to be the top Irish team within the interprovincial derbies.
    - We haven't beaten Leinster away since 2008/09 so that scalp would be very welcome!

Come at us, bro!

I think all those are achievable, coming out on top of the interpros would go a long way to securing a home playoff in the league. It's a tough draw in the ERCC, away wins are going to be very hard to come by and I think only the pool winner is likely to progress so it's a major challenge.

I know Munster have been "in transition" for about six years now but I think we know less about your team selection and its prospects than ever. Success will depend massively on O'Connell being able for it again, O'Mahony being fully recovered and, as you say yourself, some sort of coherent back play.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Did I read somewhere that Jones has just had an operation or something and will miss the start of the season?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Did I read somewhere that Jones has just had an operation or something and will miss the start of the season?

Haven't seen anything but that's terrible for the bloke. He's our version of Luke Fitz at this stage. He's in the last year of his current contract as well so you'd be concerned for him if he has another injury ravaged year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

think that MF thread is a year old and someone commented

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

ssaye2 wrote: »
    BsLEdDwIQAAa_Bk.jpg

UNREAL

I haven't seen him play for a long time now, is he still performing at a high level for Bath? His conditioning is insane.....shoulder striations on a rugby player!!:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

S12b wrote: »
    I haven't seen him play for a long time now, is he still performing at a high level for Bath? His conditioning is insane.....shoulder striations on a rugby player!!:eek::eek:

Yeah he's been going really well for them tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Yeah he's been going really well for them tbf.

Is he getting in most match day squads? He may be perfectly happy in Bath (it is a beautiful town) but he could be a great signing for one of the Irish provinces.

Ulster: outside of Pienaar, Marshall's form has disappeared and the rest are very average

Connacht: might be ok this season with Cooney coming in, next season?? 20 mins off the bench for Marmion and a whole lot of experience and expertise to the squad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

S12b wrote: »
    Is he getting in most match day squads? He may be perfectly happy in Bath (it is a beautiful town) but he could be a great signing for one of the Irish provinces.

Ulster: outside of Pienaar, Marshall's form has disappeared and the rest are very average

Connacht: might be ok this season with Cooney coming in, next season?? 20 mins off the bench for Marmion and a whole lot of experience and expertise to the squad.

Check it out for yourself
    http://www.premiershiprugby.com/matchcentre/fixtures/squads.php?player=4145&includeref=dynamic

He's doing very well it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

yes he generally starts or came on as a sub all season

stats above don't include Amlin where he also played regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭letowski

I hope Archer's injury situation with his neck is fully resolved, he was out from the HEC QF onwards (I think).

It's a very worrying situation for a prop and Munster seemed to hush the whole thing up, despite it ending his season. This season is huge for him, he played a good HEC game against Gloucester amongst a few others, and he needs to show the management he can take over the mantle from BJ, when he leaves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

letowski wrote: »
    I hope Archer's injury situation with his neck is fully resolved, he was out from the HEC QF onwards (I think).

It's a very worrying situation for a prop and Munster seemed to hush the whole thing up, despite it ending his season. This season is huge for him, he played a good HEC game against Gloucester amongst a few others, and he needs to show the management he can take over the mantle from BJ, when he leaves.

From here last week.

On the injury front there was positive news for Cathal Sheridan (forearm), Mike Sherry (knee) and Stephen Archer (neck) as they all commenced pre-season training on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

• Registered Users Posts: 23,750 ✭✭✭✭phog

An interview with Ian Costelloe

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Great stuff Thomond!!!
    Anybody on here ever gone to a munstre match in Italy thinking this year might head out to one?
    I went to both last season, and have just booked to go again. It's a fantastic trip.

I'm going to at least one of them. Hopefully both.

Italy beers?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Bad news for the people planning on travelling to Italy. The Zebre away game on the weekend of Sep 20th has been moved to Thomond Park according to the fixture list on the Munster and Pro12 websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Looks like it's the 9th of January now.

Suits me better, head to head weekends are a wallet buster.

Looks like it's the 9th of January now.

Suits me better, head to head weekends are a wallet buster.

It doesn't leave much room for deciding what four fixtures go to Musgrave.

- 15 Feb Cardiff
    - 1 Mar Glasgow
    - 29 Mar Connacht
    - 26 Apr Treviso
    - 17 May Dragons

Four of those will be played in Cork. I imagine Glasgow or Connacht will be the odd one out otherwise you'll have too much of a pile up.

The switch does make Munster's start look a bit easier now:

- Edinburgh (H)
    - Treviso (A)
    - Zebre (H)
    - Ospreys (H)
    - Leinster (A)
    - Scarlets (H)

4 wins minimum with a few bonus points is a reasonable expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

@thomond any idea what day the munster v treviso in september is due to be played on?

• Advertisement

@thomond any idea what day the munster v treviso in september is due to be played on?

No clue, sorry. I assume that will be confirmed in the next few weeks when the broadcast schedule is sorted.

On a separate note, what are peoples' thoughts on Darren Sweetnam's prospects? He's in the last year of his academy contract while many of the senior back three players are in the last year of their deals. There was a get to know article on him today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

What do you think of him yourself out of interest Thomond?

Teferi wrote: »
    What do you think of him yourself out of interest Thomond?

I've never seen him play so I've no clue!

No clue, sorry. I assume that will be confirmed in the next few weeks when the broadcast schedule is sorted.

On a separate note, what are peoples' thoughts on Darren Sweetnam's prospects? He's in the last year of his academy contract while many of the senior back three players are in the last year of their deals. There was a get to know article on him today.

I don't know if his height or the way he carries himself but he looks very light, from the few minutes I've seen of him he seems to have the speed and the hands but I think with the age profile of Munster backs now he could be moving on after the academy.

The guys at work that thought he should commit to Munster at the time still think he'll make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭letowski

phog wrote: »
    I don't know if his height or hithe wat he carries himself but he looks very light, from the few minutes I've seen of him he seems to have the speed and the hands but I think with the age profile of Munster backs now he could be moving on after the academy.

The guys at work that thought he should commit to Munster at the time still think he'll make it.

He is a full back though. Felix hasn't exactly set the place alight in the last 3 years. There could be an opportunity there for him, with Hurley the only other full back in the squad. You can move the likes of Zebo, Conway, Murphy, Keatley, etc. there too but it's not their position (although there is potentially a strong cased for Zebo to play there).

I'd like to see Sweetnam get a chance at least in the league, he has some good football skills and is quick. Hard to know whether he is good enough for senior level, admittedly.

letowski wrote: »
    He is a full back though. Felix hasn't exactly set the place alight in the last 3 years. There could be an opportunity there for him, with Hurley the only other full back in the squad. You can move the likes of Zebo, Conway, Murphy, Keatley, etc. there too but it's not their position (although there is potentially a strong cased for Zebo to play there).

I'd like to see Sweetnam get a chance at least in the league, he has some good football skills and is quick. Hard to know whether he is good enough for senior level, admittedly.

Maybe you're right, I thought I saw him play in the wing and I suppose that influenced my post.

Like you I'd like to see him get a chance anyway and if he's good enough they'll be loads of room for him.

There will be a spot if he's good enough. I'd be surprised if all three of Jones, Hurley and Murphy are at Munster in 15/16.

Don't Murphy and Hurley only have one year extensions that run out at the end of next season?

Don't Murphy and Hurley only have one year extensions that run out at the end of next season?

Both out of contract in 2015: http://www.independent.ie/sport/denis-hurley-and-johne-murphy-sign-new-deals-with-munster-but-one-young-star-is-moving-on-30229275.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Tweeted by Munster earlier https://vine.co/v/MQBMA6YXgQq
    Would have thought the likes of O'Connell would have another couple of weeks off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement