Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 RBS Six Nations General Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Rightwing wrote: »
    I know what you are saying, but I don't think winning the 6N on points difference this year would have done Eng. They ought to have put the Scots away and that was it done. They are certainly good enough to win it, but they aren't good enough to win the GS. This is the difficulty.

I also don't think they are good enough to win the W Cup. Maybe a final appearance with luck.

The context I believe is, Eng expect to win championships and GS. Losing the way they did was minimal

I still can't believe you don't consider winning the championship as, well, winning. It's like you fail to understand the basics between coming 1st and 2nd.

I think you're on your own there to be honest! :D I'd say the English fans would gladly swap their bridesmaid dresses for a wedding dress...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

England
    awec wrote: »
    I missed the last two weeks of this tournament. Anyone know where I can see proper highlights? I don't mean the official 6 nations ones with no commentary and that are like 30 seconds long.

There are full matches for the last round on youtube. Bit of a commitment but I definitely recommend watching them, the last day was intense as fcuk. I've already watched both the Ireland-Scotland game and the France-England game back again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

England
    The Six Nations Youtube page has hugely improved. Official extended highlights are around 9mins. They also have anthems, MOTM interviews etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

.ak wrote: »
    I still can't believe you don't consider winning the championship as, well, winning. It's like you fail to understand the basics between coming 1st and 2nd.

I think you're on your own there to be honest! :D I'd say the English fans would gladly swap their bridesmaid dresses for a wedding dress...

Certainly not.

Didn't some Welsh fan say on the other thread once the GS was gone he wasn't that concerned about the championship. That's the category I fall into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

No offence to them, but they came third so... You know... Kinda easy for them to say. ;)

I think most Irish fans would be disappointed at coming third, but you'll be hard pushed to find one disappointed at coming first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

No offence to them, but they came third so... You know... Kinda easy for them to say. ;)

I think most Irish fans would be disappointed at coming third, but you'll be hard pushed to find one disappointed at coming first.

I took him at his word at any rate.

I wouldnt have been disappointed if we came 3rd, I do think most were happier than I was at first place. It wasn't huge for me.

The World Cup is the big one for Irl this year. I said it last time, we had a great chance to do really well, we probably even have a better chance this time round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

"Ah I didn't want to win the competition anyway" said nobody in the history of ever.

England
    Teferi wrote: »
    "Ah I didn't want to win the competition anyway" said nobody in the history of ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Teferi wrote: »

.....unless they lose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

As I said on the other thread and maybe its from being brought up as a kid in 70s and 80s when there was shared championships etc.
    Put another way I can tell you how many GS Wales have and remember those years in great detail. But how many championships other than that, not a clue.

Dont get me wrong I would obviously have been pleased if Wales had won the championship. But coming 2nd or 3rd on points doesnt evoke a big reaction in me (and also all my fellow Welsh friends) am certainly not disappointed as our performances apart from 40mins were very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

England
    So I hear from RTE that Alex White is thinking of making the Six Nations free-to-air. That would be a good day's work IMO. I know plenty of people who have some interest in rugby, loved discussing the championship just done, but in no way would they pay to watch it. I think it would be very damaging to lose occasional fans like these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

vienne86 wrote: »
    So I hear from RTE that Alex White is thinking of making the Six Nations free-to-air. That would be a good day's work IMO. I know plenty of people who have some interest in rugby, loved discussing the championship just done, but in no way would they pay to watch it. I think it would be very damaging to lose occasional fans like these.

The IRFU will go ape**** if so. Remember a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

England
    vienne86 wrote: »

Election coming up obviously...

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The IRFU will go ape**** if so. Remember a few years ago.

What happened a few years ago?

England
    What happened a few years ago?

Eamonn Ryan threatened to make the Heineken Cup free to air. IRFU ran a big campaign against it.

Also in the run up to an election, shockingly.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Heineken Cup is a bit different though. Has it ever been FTA?

I think the IRFU would walk in to a PR disaster if they tried to argue against the 6N staying on FTA TV.

England
    Heineken Cup is a bit different though. Has it ever been FTA?

I think the IRFU would walk in to a PR disaster if they tried to argue against the 6N staying on FTA TV.

Games involving provinces used to be on RTE, think the 06 final was the last one?

As you say, the IRFU would be shooting themselves in the foot but the 6N needs to have the option of PPV to extract maximum value from terrestrial broadcasters.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

RTE had a special dispensation, somehow, for the last first few years of Sky getting the HEC.

So the last time it was mooted whether the HEC should go back to FTA in Ireland it had probably been 10 years since it last was, maybe more even.

If the 6N were to go to Sky/BT I think it'd be a bad move. The Ireland soccer games went that way and I'm happy to say that viewership numbers would have dipped big time, so much that the team still hasn't recovered from it being removed from alot of fans life. Obviously the team not doing so well hasn't helped either.

Advertisement