Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon deliveries being dumped in garden

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

paulbok wrote: »
    No, I'm not on Prime, but get mostly An Post deliveries.
    I've not looked in detail at this but I find orders fulfilled directly from Amazon come by an Post, but resellers use their own UK couriers who will have different Irish couriers

May we'll be wrong with that theory
    No. I've tried only ordering stuff fulfilled by Amazon, but still got Fastways occasionally. There doesn't appear to be a fail-safe way of avoiding them except Addresspal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

L1011 wrote: »
    That would be one specific postman, who will stop if you ask. If they don't, complain and they'll definitely stop - if they are still employed afterwards.

Not from my experience, An Post have little interest in complaints about Postmen

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

I was on amazon prime, they use the same delivery method.. They advertise 2 day delivery but this is NEVER the case. They use the same method as free delivery for non prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Have never had a problem with An Post either, get the text to arrange delivery, and a "Sorry we missed you" thing as I'm not normally home when the post arrives. Go to the local depot, job done.
    An Post seem to care that their job is to deliver parcels/post to people, unlike Fastway who seem to think putting it on their property is job done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Have never had a problem with An Post either, get the text to arrange delivery, and a "Sorry we missed you" thing as I'm not normally home when the post arrives. Go to the local depot, job done.
    An Post seem to care that their job is to deliver parcels/post to people, unlike Fastway who seem to think putting it on their property is job done.

In fairness to the Fastway couriers I have never had any parcels go missing. They have either delivered to me personally or, if I am not at home, have sent a voice message /text to let me know they have left the parcel in the local service station just down the road. No big deal really as I go there regularly anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,705 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

When I went out into my back garden yesterday there was a Fastway parcel at the door. It could have been there for a few days. Delivery person must have thrown it over the wall. It was a light parcel in a plastic bag.

It was for another person with the same house number as me in a different part of my estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

How do Amazon actually select which courier to use? It seems almost random to me. Personally I'd love if I could simply choose from a list myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

nightline, fastway, dpd, gls......they're all the same...under staffed and under pressure...the courier game is cut throat these days, its a god-awful business to be involved in..nobody sticks it out, the turn-over of staff is huge

UPS, DHL and Fedex are probably best of a bad lot

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

fryup wrote: »
    nightline, fastway, dpd, gls......they're all the same...under staffed and under pressure...the courier game is cut throat these days, its a god-awful business to be involved in..nobody sticks it out, the turn-over of staff is huge

I'm not sure about that, the last two UPS deliveries I've received have been delivered by a subcontractor in a white van where he just handed over the parcel, and when I asked did he not want me to sign for it, just said he'd already done it and ran off. On neither of these two occasions did the parcel show up on the tracking as out for delivery either, so both came as a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

fryup wrote: »

ups own nightline. be interesting to see what they do with it.

still not sure why someone hasnt invented a box with a pin number on that you can fix to your house and any driver can put deliverys on it. i dont meant the an post box they can only open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Home
    At home a parcel with Fastway went missing for 2 weeks. Their system did not recognise the tracking number supplied by the vendor. When it eventually showed up the number given by the vendor was on the label.

Away
    When I was staying with them before Christmas relatives in UK had an order delivered to a bin. They missed the card put through the letterbox and left the bins out next morning. The vendor just credited them without question.

I guess these things happens everywhere and are just part of modern life.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Mike3549

DBB wrote: »
    Amazon weren't helpful. Said it had been signed for.
    It didn't matter so much in this instance as I did eventually get the parcel, albeit a week late and only because I was tipped off (by our great DPD courier) to try the local garage shop.

Again, signed by you or "mr joe public"? If you do a chargeback, guess on whos side the credit card company will be, your or amazon/fastway?
    In my last job we used fastway. In fairness they were good, maybe cos most of the customers were other businesses. But it did happen a couple of times when it was signed by somebody who doesnt work there or delivered to wrong address. It was fastways responsibillity to get their f*ckup sorted or pay the damages.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭8mv

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    On the rare occasion that I order something online, I have it delivered to my workplace. Would it be worth changing the delivery address you use to your place of employment if you are there most of the working day, and not at home?

(I am of course assuming that you a) have an office or definite work address that you would be in at least once a day, b) if you're not there when your delivery arrives that someone else could/would sign for the item and tell you they have done so, and c) your place of employment is ok with you receiving personal deliveries at work).

This would solve everybody's problem. I get all on-line orders delivered to me in work - in fairness, I sign for all deliveries anyway so it makes sense for me, but I encourage all my colleagues to get their orders there as well - I don't mind signing for them, the driver has no issues and the people get their stuff straight away without any head-wrecking. Granted I have heard that some companies don't allow this but I can't imagine why they would see it as a problem.

For full disclosure, I should point out that I was a courier for some years. I'd like to think that all my deliveries to private houses were done correctly, but in fairness, in those days there wasn't near as much online transactions. 95% of my work was with businesses which was easy. If I had 6-8 parcels for private addresses, that was bad enough. Very time-consuming and in a lot of cases nobody home. Nowadays couriers tell me they have up to 40 private houses a day and this goes up a lot around Christmas / Valentines / Mothers Day / Halloween

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Skid X wrote: »
    Not from my experience, An Post have little interest in complaints about Postmen

It depends on your complaint, if it was in regards to stealing or aggressive behaviour I know they take this very serious

In fairness to the Fastway couriers I have never had any parcels go missing. They have either delivered to me personally or, if I am not at home, have sent a voice message /text to let me know they have left the parcel in the local service station just down the road. No big deal really as I go there regularly anyway.

Yeah but the OP didn't have that experience and many others haven't had it either. It is not good enough to just leave a parcel beside a bin in the open air where the finest of Irish society can just take it from there. If couriers are over-stretched, employ more people, charge more, whatever. Just don't think you can dump parcels in people's gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

I had a delivery from fastway the order never showed up.

but when I checked tracking it shows the driver used my name and signed my name.

I have no neighbors so it's not like he left it with them.

I have checked the whole garden etc.

What are my options here?

Surely they will just say that I signed for it even though I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

DBB wrote: »
    In my case, I got an email to tell me that the parcel had been delivered and signed for.
    I hadn't received it, I hadn't signed for it, the courier had dumped it outside the local(ish) garage shop and I finally tracked it down to there one week after receiving that email.
    Got this email once. I contacted them, and let them know I didn't get it, didn't sign for it. They contacted the driver, who seemingly just left it outside the door, as the business was closed (I had specified the opening times). They sent out the same thing again.
    piplip87 wrote: »
    It's only a matter of time until some of the pillars of the communities start following fsstway vans and lifting the lot.
    This is an issue in the States atm.
    To be fair, Amazon are employing them. Is it not up to them to ensure they employ a decent courier service?
    Unless people like the OP complains to Amazon, nothing will be done about it.
    irishgeo wrote: »
    still not sure why someone hasnt invented a box with a pin number on that you can fix to your house and any driver can put deliverys on it.
    If anyone can access it, it's not very secure.
    If couriers are over-stretched, employ more people, charge more, whatever.
    If you charge more than the competition, the competition will be used. You honestly don't think that they'll pay more for your "free delivery"?
    I had a delivery from fastway the order never showed up.

but when I checked tracking it shows the driver used my name and signed my name.

I have no neighbors so it's not like he left it with them.

I have checked the whole garden etc.

What are my options here?

Surely they will just say that I signed for it even though I didn't.
    Contact Amazon, and tell them that you didn't sign for it. Ask for a copy of the signature.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

the_syco wrote:
    Contact Amazon, and tell them that you didn't sign for it. Ask for a copy of the signature.

Thanks for advice it was actually a Groupon order.
    Would I still ask them for copy of signature?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Contact Groupon and explain you never received your order. Take it from there.

This thread is about Amazon by the way. You should start a different thread for a Groupon query.
    Thanks for advice it was actually a Groupon order.
    Would I still ask them for copy of signature?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

8mv wrote: »
    Granted I have heard that some companies don't allow this but I can't imagine why they would see it as a problem.

As part of my role I am responsible for the Postroom in a Dublin based company with 320 employees. Believe me, in the 3 weeks leading up to Christmas, staff members personal incoming parcel deliveries were very much a problem! On some days there were 50-60 parcels arriving into the building with peoples Christmas shopping, ranging in size up to 2mts x 1mts x 1/2mts. Apart from the logistics of this there is also the question of liability in the event that something goes missing!
    While we have decided that it is a perk that we are happy to offer our staff it is not something that should be underestimated and will I believe become a bigger issue over time!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You should not have to go to local depot, AMZ have a "prism" arrangement with An Post, An Post need to attempt delivery twice the first day and also once the following morning before you have to go to any depot.

iParcel and Fastway are both cowboys who have messed up untold amount of my AMZ deliveries but thankfully I've been all An Post for the last few months...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

slave1 wrote: »
    You should not have to go to local depot, AMZ have a "prism" arrangement with An Post, An Post need to attempt delivery twice the first day and also once the following morning before you have to go to any depot.

iParcel and Fastway are both cowboys who have messed up untold amount of my AMZ deliveries but thankfully I've been all An Post for the last few months...
    This is true as I do the evening prism parcels that were not delivered during the day in my local area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

C3PO wrote: »
    As part of my role I am responsible for the Postroom in a Dublin based company with 320 employees. Believe me, in the 3 weeks leading up to Christmas, staff members personal incoming parcel deliveries were very much a problem! On some days there were 50-60 parcels arriving into the building with peoples Christmas shopping, ranging in size up to 2mts x 1mts x 1/2mts. Apart from the logistics of this there is also the question of liability in the event that something goes missing!
    While we have decided that it is a perk that we are happy to offer our staff it is not something that should be underestimated and will I believe become a bigger issue over time!

Aye, in fairness I could see how that might be a pain in the face for whoever was in charge of signing for/distributing deliveries in a workplace at times like that.

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Aye, in fairness I could see how that might be a pain in the face for whoever was in charge of signing for/distributing deliveries in a workplace at times like that.

Yeah if I had a large workplace I'd be saying either meet the courier or deliver it elsewhere. Especially when "where's my parcel mrs receptionist" becomes the issue....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

jk23 wrote: »
    This is true as I do the evening prism parcels that were not delivered during the day in my local area

It's not country wide though,just city's,no rural

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

slave1 wrote:

Didn't know that. I live in Dublin and always have to go to the depot. They only ever make one attempt after which the missed delivery slip is shoved in the door and I have to go collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Fast ways get the business because they undercut the competition on price. Then they find that it’s not feasible to deliver at the price they quoted so they take shortcuts and leave the products on doorsteps ir at the local shop.

People should insist get they are delivered to their address, it’s what you’ve paid for after all !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

I think the main point for Amazon is that they develop alternatives to An Post, if only to keep An Post costs down. But, this model just doesn't work for me, and while I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face, my Amazon purchases are a small fraction of what they used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I didn't know this!
    I dread An Post with Amazon deliveries, they never ever attempt delivery, all I get is a card and I have to go to the depot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Sir Oxman wrote: »

I didn't know this!
    I dread An Post with Amazon deliveries, they never ever attempt delivery, all I get is a card and I have to go to the depot.
    Does your postman cycle.

Advertisement