Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon deliveries being dumped in garden

Options
  • 12-01-2019 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭

We've got 2 parcels delivered in recent weeks from Amazon, and both have just been dumped in our garden beside the bins.
    Now if they had let us know about it it'd be maybe OK, but one package was absolutely destroyed when we discovered it a number of days after it was delivered. The contents were luckily OK, but they didn't know what was in the box was going to be OK as they wouldn't have known what was in it.
    They have both been delivered by i-parcel according to the emails, who pass it on to Fastway I believe, is this correct, and if so is this really something that we should have to accept?
    I think this is dreadfully unprofessional personally. If they called / texted to let me know that it was beside the bin or put in the bin I'd be OK with it, I find just dumping it in the middle of the garden totally unacceptable.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Contact Amazon - I have stopped getting fastway deliveries although that could be coincidental. They need to know all the issues to increase the chance of dropping them

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

I thought they had stopped using those cowboys. I love when they use An Post as the delivery people on my route are very nice to deal with and reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,669 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Very poor experience with fast way. Our guy keeps leaving packages 5k up the road on a local filling station despite us telling him everytime not to. And the filling station owner also tellint him not do.

He's a lazy prick basically

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Thanks I'll do that tomorrow.
    I've 2 more orders arriving next week which it says is through An Post, I presume that could change?
    There are spoilable items in next weeks packages....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Thanks I'll do that tomorrow.
    I've 2 more orders arriving next week which it says is through An Post, I presume that could change?
    There are spoilable items in next weeks packages....

No, if Amazon state that your parcels are being delivered by An Post then that is who will deliver your parcels. There should be no change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

listermint wrote: »
    Very poor experience with fast way. Our guy keeps leaving packages 5k up the road on a local filling station despite us telling him everytime not to. And the filling station owner also tellint him not do.

He's a lazy prick basically

Exactly the same experience with Fastway here, local garage had a mountain of parcels from the Fastway fella leaving them at their door just before they opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭chicorytip

We've got 2 parcels delivered in recent weeks from Amazon, and both have just been dumped in our garden beside the bins. Now if they had let us know about it it'd be maybe OK, but one package was absolutely destroyed when we discovered it a number of days after it was delivered. The contents were luckily OK, but they didn't know what was in the box was going to be OK as they wouldn't have known what was in it. They have both been delivered by i-parcel according to the emails, who pass it on to Fastway I believe, is this correct, and if so is this really something that we should have to accept? I think this is dreadfully unprofessional personally. If they called / texted to let me know that it was beside the bin or put in the bin I'd be OK with it, I find just dumping it in the middle of the garden totally unacceptable.

With Fastway it must be related to the way the drivers are paid and get bonuses. The more packages that get "delivered" the more they earn. They are not directly employed, as such, but are independent franchise holders. In my own experience of dealing with them I always receive a call or delivery note giving the exact location of the package if I am not at home to collect it. I agree though that the practice is irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

If you haven't signed for it you haven't received it....hmmmm just saying.

massy086 wrote: »
    If you haven't signed for it you haven't received it....hmmmm just saying.

In my case, I got an email to tell me that the parcel had been delivered and signed for.
    I hadn't received it, I hadn't signed for it, the courier had dumped it outside the local(ish) garage shop and I finally tracked it down to there one week after receiving that email.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Thankfully, I just got this from An Post.

Item XXX
    Your item is now at An Post National Hub. View alternative delivery options here pm.anpost.com/XXXX

Thankfully I think this parcel will be safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭piplip87

It's only a matter of time until some of the pillars of the communities start following fsstway vans and lifting the lot. Maybe then they will cop on. I'm lucky enough to have a lovely retired neighbour. I cut her lawns in the summer and Fastway leave the stuff in her house. Although you have to speak to the man and tell him that. Doesn't help that they change drivers fairly often.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

piplip87 wrote: »
    It's only a matter of time until some of the pillars of the communities start following fsstway vans and lifting the lot. Maybe then they will cop on. I'm lucky enough to have a lovely retired neighbour. I cut her lawns in the summer and Fastway leave the stuff in her house. Although you have to speak to the man and tell him that. Doesn't help that they change drivers fairly often.

Already happening here before Xmas. Easy pickings for scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Why isn't Fastway mentioned in the thread title? I really don't see why Amazon should be in the headline, this is a problem with self-employed cowboys working for Fastway.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

coylemj wrote: »
    Why isn't Fastway mentioned in the thread title? I really don't see why Amazon should be in the headline, this is a problem with self-employed cowboys working for Fastway.

To be fair, Amazon are employing them. Is it not up to them to ensure they employ a decent courier service?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

On the rare occasion that I order something online, I have it delivered to my workplace. Would it be worth changing the delivery address you use to your place of employment if you are there most of the working day, and not at home?

(I am of course assuming that you a) have an office or definite work address that you would be in at least once a day, b) if you're not there when your delivery arrives that someone else could/would sign for the item and tell you they have done so, and c) your place of employment is ok with you receiving personal deliveries at work).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

To be fair, Amazon are employing them. Is it not up to them to ensure they employ a decent courier service?

Yes it is but the problems being experienced by the OP and others will arise for anyone who buys mail order from any supplier who uses Fastway. The thread title would lead you to believe that this is an issue which applies exclusively to Amazon shipments.

By all means mention Amazon in the thread as the identity of the shipper is 100% relevant but Fastway should be up there in the thread title, getting the attention and notoriety they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Mike3549

DBB wrote: »
    In my case, I got an email to tell me that the parcel had been delivered and signed for.
    I hadn't received it, I hadn't signed for it, the courier had dumped it outside the local(ish) garage shop and I finally tracked it down to there one week after receiving that email.

It doesnt matter that it was delivered and signed. If its not signed by you, it means item not delivered, simple. Contact amazon, you could easily get a refund or replacement if you wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Pfft An Post. They often leave my parcels in a bin without telling me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Amazon need to allow you to choose courier and then 'like adults' we can choose to pay more for the better ones if we want.

I had got to the point of buying quite a bit from Amazon......I had crossed a threshold. But, that was stopped in it's tracks by Fastway and, sorry, but I just don't want Prime!

fussyonion wrote: »

I seriously doubt that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

A lot of people request post men to leave parcels in the green bin :O

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

fussyonion wrote: »

That would be one specific postman, who will stop if you ask. If they don't, complain and they'll definitely stop - if they are still employed afterwards.

As goes the suggestion of delivery to work - three are employers who are weirdly precious about that. Some don't want the reception staff spending time on it or whatever. I receive actual deliveries for work up to occasional pallets so it isn't an imposition but I could see it being an issue in an office of a few hundred staff and limited normal post

sugarman wrote: »
    Why? :confused: They've been doing it around here for as long as I remember.

If I get an Amazon delivery through An Post I get a text in advance telling me that the parcel has arrived in the depot, and have the postman`s mobile number so that I can make other delivery arrangenents if it seems likely that the package will not fit into my postbox. It`s straight forward really and I have never had any of this "dumping in bins" nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I seriously doubt that.

Think what you like. Why would I lie?

Mike3549 wrote: »
    It doesnt matter that it was delivered and signed. If its not signed by you, it means item not delivered, simple. Contact amazon, you could easily get a refund or replacement if you wanted to.

Amazon weren't helpful. Said it had been signed for.
    It didn't matter so much in this instance as I did eventually get the parcel, albeit a week late and only because I was tipped off (by our great DPD courier) to try the local garage shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Am I correct that Prime customers are getting An Post deliveries and only non-Prime get Fastway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

KOR101 wrote: »
    Am I correct that Prime customers are getting An Post deliveries and only non-Prime get Fastway?

You are incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭paulbok

No, I'm not on Prime, but get mostly An Post deliveries.
    I've not looked in detail at this but I find orders fulfilled directly from Amazon come by an Post, but resellers use their own UK couriers who will have different Irish couriers

May we'll be wrong with that theory

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I am non-Prime and almost all of my Amazon deliveries [I order stuff weekly] comes via An Post.

• Advertisement

I have been an Amazon Prime customer for over 2 years now and have had deliveries through both An Post and Fastway. Mind you, all of the recent deliveries have been through An Post so maybe Amazon have changed their arrangements. As far as I know it depends on which Amazon centre the orders are being dispatched from.

Advertisement