Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who s behind the Gardai road checks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

It's more likely the 442 refers to Gardaí who issued the tickets as opposed to the people who actually cancelled them because there aren't even that many inspectors and superintendents in the country. A more accurate sentence might be "tickets issued by 442 different Gardaí were cancelled". Most were probably done without the knowledge of the issuing Garda too.

About 2%

Any idea of the timeframe involved in the penalty point review? I was thinking that it probably would also include retired members of officer rank who cancelled FCPNs

What % of the entire Garda force is Inspector rank or above?

Let's exclude All the regular Gardaí and Sergeants and make an assumption that the senior Gardaí (Commissioner, Deputy Commissioner, Assistant Commissioner, Chief Superintendent, Superintendent, Inspector) numbers are 4000 (seems an awful lot still). That's 11%.

And I see you have zero comment on the 2,000,000 alcohol breath tests that were faked in every Garda division in Ireland.
    Or that they went completely unpunished? What message does that send?

There couldn’t be 4000 surely. I’d assume it would be far less than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

It's more likely the 442 refers to Gardaí who issued the tickets as opposed to the people who actually cancelled them because there aren't even that many inspectors and superintendents in the country. A more accurate sentence might be "tickets issued by 442 different Gardaí were cancelled". Most were probably done without the knowledge of the issuing Garda too.

About 2%

No my understanding is that 442 actually cancelled penalty points.
    It was also revealed that a total of 442 Gardaí were authorised to cancel FCNs in the four-year period and that the vast majority (72%) of all cancelled FCNs were simply recorded as ‘cancelled’, giving insufficient rationale for cancellation to allow GSOC ascertain whether or not they were cancelled in line with proper procedure.

You sure that only 2% of the force are of rank Commissioner, Deputy Commissioner, Assistant Commissioner, Chief Superintendent, Superintendent or Inspector?

That's just 280 people.
    In total, GSOC received data relating to the issuing of 1.6 million Fixed Charge Notices (FCNs) and 74,373 cancellations of FCNs in the four years from 2009 to 2012 (inclusive).

The Ombudsman Commission has decided not to proceed to another phase of an investigation, however, due to the likely high cost of a more expansive and detailed investigation and the extensive reform of the Fixed Charge Penalty System in recent years.

No my understanding is that 442 actually cancelled penalty points.

You sure that only 2% of the force are of rank Commissioner, Deputy Commissioner, Assistant Commissioner, Chief Superintendent, Superintendent or Inspector?

That's just 280 people.

Your maths on previous post seem way out. If 4000 accounts for 11% then we have a police force of over 36,000. We have slightly more than a third of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Hmmm...ah yes, just a few bad eggs like the Roman church.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/big-questions-go-unanswered-in-garda-penalty-points-scandal-1.3312793

In a force that reached 14,000 members at one point, 442 gardaí cancelled penalty points. (442 of Inspector rank or above you said)

At the end of repeated investigations and nine reports into the debacle, no gardaí will face discipline.

Even that small number who were most prolific at cancelling points – in one case 700 times across 17 counties – will face no consequences.

The reason? Disciplining so many Garda members would simply cost too much and take too long. And the records on which further investigations of individual gardaí would be based were poorly kept.

A similar logic was outlined by Deputy Commissioner Dónall Ó Cualáin last week when he informed the Policing Authority that no gardaí would face sanction over the inflation of almost 2,000,000 alcohol breath tests.

I stated earlier that 1,500,000 alcohol breath tests were faked. I was wrong. It seems another 400,000 were uncovered since then. I think we are only peeling the onion on Garda corruption.

The faked breath tests were performed in stations in every single Garda division in Ireland.

Assume that 50% or whatever arbitrary % you'd think would fit were disciplined and reduced in rank or whatever, how exactly would the GS perform with any effectiveness at all?

As time goes on with a top dog shaking the tree from above the numbers will reduce by natural forces, more power to Drew Harris and hopefully sticking it to a couple of higher Gardai will filter down the ranks that bending the rules is a no no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Fella in the local paper 5th time in caught and in court and on this occasion 2nd time driving with no insurance. 70euro fine and no ban...

Why are we bothering...

RobbieMD wrote: »
    Your maths on previous post seem way out. If 4000 accounts for 11% then we have a police force of over 36,000. We have slightly more than a third of that.

No you misunderstood. Deliberately methinks. I posted above that the force was 14,000 strong at the time.

In the 4 years of FCN cancellations, 442 Gardaí were found to have cancelled them.

The force at the time has 14,000 people. I took 4000 as a guesstimate of the number who were eligible to cancel FCNs (Inspector or above)

442/4000 = 11%. The issue is whether 4000 is close to the actual number of Gardaí of rank Inspector or above. It's probably a lot more like 1000 which makes the figure even more shocking (44.2%)

I am wondering whether you are just trying to throw a smokescreen on this. Any comment on the 2,000,000 fake breath tests?

There couldn’t be 4000 surely. I’d assume it would be far less than that.

Go ahead then sunshine, give me your figure.

A quick scan of your other posts leads me to believe you are a member of the Gardaí. Can you confirm?

• Advertisement

No you misunderstood. Deliberately methinks. I posted above that the force was 14,000 strong at the time.

In the 4 years of FCN cancellations, 442 Gardaí were found to have cancelled them.

The force at the time has 14,000 people. I took 4000 as a guesstimate of the number who were eligible to cancel FCNs (Inspector or above)

442/4000 = 11%. The issue is whether 4000 is close to the actual number of Gardaí of rank Inspector or above. It's probably a lot more like 1000 which makes the figure even more shocking (44.2%)

I am wondering whether you are just trying to throw a smokescreen on this. Any comment on the 2,000,000 fake breath tests?

That’s what I couldn’t understand. It’s not 4000 eligible to cancel fcpns. I had a quick look and it looks like there’s about 500 who hold the rank of inspector and above.

Comment on fake breath tests? Yeah they shouldn’t have happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭wyf437gn6btzue

there was a chap plowed out of it and killed by a drunk driver up my way a few years ago, the same people who complained about the lack of garda intervention with drink driving at the time that happened are the ones who complain now when they hear of check points and proactive policing.

if you`re not doing anything wrong then you`ve nothing to worry about. They don`t set them up to catch ordinary people out, they set them up to catch the f*cking low lives who think drinking and driving is ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The cousins are all 'home' for Christmas.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I've just been reading through it. It seems the 442 number is the number of people that actually cancelled tickets over the 4 years. It doesn't actually reveal much though as the number cancelled per person ranges from 1 to 46,161.

Go ahead then sunshine, give me your figure.

A quick scan of your other posts leads me to believe you are a member of the Gardaí. Can you confirm?

Sunshine says there’s roughly 500 members of inspector rank and above. That’s from an Oireachtas question posed to justice minister. I imagine that figure moves up and down slightly due to retirements promotions etc

Thanks for having a look at my previous posts. Long time listener, recent poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

corsav6 wrote: »
    I'm also living in rural mayo and I haven't come across a checkpoint in years. I'm on the road during fairly busy hours and also do a lot of driving at the weekends.

Nor me in coastal mayo, but to me that shortens the odds...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Garda checkpoints have increased massively in Clare too. In my opinion they do very little in the way of real crime fighting any more. Just another branch of revenue. Drugs are rampant here, even in reasonably affluent areas. We all know who the dealers are, everything seems so blatant, and yet no arrests. Anti social behaviour in villages is on the rise, the culprits are well known, and yet no arrests. Personally I have no confidence in them as a police force. There are so many issues in our region more important than road tax, or insurance, and nothing is being done about it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,399 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Garda checkpoints have increased massively in Clare too. In my opinion they do very little in the way of real crime fighting any more. Just another branch of revenue. Drugs are rampant here, even in reasonably affluent areas. We all know who the dealers are, everything seems so blatant, and yet no arrests. Anti social behaviour in villages is on the rise, the culprits are well known, and yet no arrests. Personally I have no confidence in them as a police force. There are so many issues in our region more important than road tax, or insurance, and nothing is being done about it...

If you all know who the dealers are, I assume that you all have made a written statement to that effect down at your local garda station. Otherwise it is meaningless that you all know.

Witnesses need to make sworn statements, most of the time they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I'd obviously be heavily opposed to drink driving but I'd be opposed to the recent legislation change that judges a next morning level that previously attrcted points now has a ban. It just hits marginal cases that probably in good faith stopped drinking at XY hours and avoided driving until XY hours and then lose their license based on a miscalculation of a few hours.

One thing that amuseas me is that I'd love to do a random test of half the Garda manning the checkpoints. I wonder how many of them would fail it in an instant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

there should be a lot more and at different time and different locations.
    not enough is done to rid the roads of the drunk or uninsured or nontaxed or even no nct lot.
    a clown of a system where speed vans are flagged up and visible so the arrogant so and sos can slow down and avoid detection. there should also be cameras at traffic lights- might cure the need for breaking red lights that is so prevalent nowadays.

I have never seen anyone breaking a red light. Just my experience. I would only be at red lights for a few minutes out of any day. How would anyone find out that it is prevalent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

blanch152 wrote: »
    If you all know who the dealers are, I assume that you all have made a written statement to that effect down at your local garda station. Otherwise it is meaningless that you all know.

I reported one way back. Would have gladly made a statement but the Gardai were not interested. I get the impression it takes too much time and attention?

His house burned down the following week..

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »

The Gardai in the local stations know exactly who the drug dealers and users are. A simple bit of detective work would nab most of them without civilians having to go to stations to give statements. It's utter laziness on their part. Even if people did go to them and report incidents I'm pretty sure they won't be bothered looking in to it. It's easier to go out and set up road checkpoints and assist revenue collection. Maybe things are different in Dublin and the other cities but I know around here they seem to just want the handy number day in day out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

They really are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

They have noticeably more presence out on the road and about the place.

Moaning Michaels still moan.

Checkpoints are not about tax and insurance.

They are getting cops out and about. Doing the very thing rural people want them to do.

Having a presence
    Drink drivers
    People who should be off the road
    Known criminals in our area being monitored

Also - and all need inforcing badly
    Cars without one light
    Cars without NCT
    Cars without insurance

That’s what I couldn’t understand. It’s not 4000 eligible to cancel fcpns. I had a quick look and it looks like there’s about 500 who hold the rank of inspector and above.

Comment on fake breath tests? Yeah they shouldn’t have happened.

Ok lets agree on 500 of Gardai of Inspector rank or above during the 4 year period of the GSOC report.

The conclusion is that the vast majority of senior Gardai (442 - 88%) were cancelling points during the 4 year period of the report and giving very little reason if any for doing so.

It's a culture of corruption led from the top.

No wonder the lower ranks felt entitled to fake almost 2,000,000 alcohol breath tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

GAA Beo wrote: »
    It's similar where I am, I recently joined a facebook group where people post up the checkpoints in our county, it has 12,000 members. Every single checkpoint is posted to warn people. It has seriously ramped up there are checkpoints literally everywhere.

The anger at Gardai and Shane Ross is also quite something. I wonder do they realise how angry they are making people in rural areas. They are never around to police burglaries or assaults but just harass motorists and be tax collectors for Fine Gael.

What about personal responsibility? If we didn't have such a blatant disregard for motoring laws, Gardai would have more resources for other crimes.

Bottom line is that if you comply with the law, you'll be waved through to go about your business. I'd love to meet a checkpoint at least once every time I'm on the road

The Gardai in the local stations know exactly who the drug dealers and users are. A simple bit of detective work would nab most of them without civilians having to go to stations to give statements. It's utter laziness on their part. Even if people did go to them and report incidents I'm pretty sure they won't be bothered looking in to it. It's easier to go out and set up road checkpoints and assist revenue collection. Maybe things are different in Dublin and the other cities but I know around here they seem to just want the handy number day in day out..

Why don't you join up and show everyone how it's done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I have never seen anyone breaking a red light. Just my experience. I would only be at red lights for a few minutes out of any day. How would anyone find out that it is prevalent?

You must be the only person in the country who hasn't. Its got so bad in Tallaght that about 4 or 5 go through on red. The Amber gambler is long gone and now you really have to proceed with caution when you get a green light.

Why don't you join up and show everyone how it's done?

Pretty sure I'd be too good for them.

They really are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

They have noticeably more presence out on the road and about the place.

Moaning Michaels still moan.

Checkpoints are not about tax and insurance.

They are getting cops out and about. Doing the very thing rural people want them to do.

Having a presence
    Drink drivers
    People who should be off the road
    Known criminals in our area being monitored

Also - and all need inforcing badly
    Cars without one light
    Cars without NCT
    Cars without insurance

The first thing you listed is "having a presence". That's hilarious seeing as the only time we see them around here is for a tax and insurance checkpoint. Take for example the infamous traveller family riot in the Oakwood hotel in Shannon lately. Everyone saw the video footage. By co Clare standards it was vicious and totally uncalled for. It's an event that was run trouble free for nearly twelve years and yet a select group of well known traveler families decided to destroy the whole spectacle. At the same time this was going on the local Gardai were out on a revenue checkpoint yet again. Rumor has it that when the phone calls came in to Shannon Gardai, they allegedly delayed their response, as it was one traveller family versus another. So much for keeping the peace. If that's what's been taught in templemore then templemore is a joke and needs to be completely scrapped or overhauled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,399 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Big chip by the sound of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭2018na

I'd say he probably wants to take home more then €500 quid a week lol

• Advertisement

Not at all. Just observing what does on in my county and the lack of justice being doled out to those to really deserve it.

2018na wrote: »
    I'd say he probably wants to take home more then €500 quid a week lol[/
    A lot of Gardai are bringing home way more than that every week. What's your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭2018na

2018na wrote: »
    I'd say he probably wants to take home more then €500 quid a week lol[/
    A lot of Gardai are bringing home way more than that every week. What's your point?

It's not exactly the cream of society that joins the Garda now is it in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

At the same time this was going on the local Gardai were out on a revenue checkpoint yet again. Rumor has it that when the phone calls came in to Shannon Gardai, they allegedly delayed their response, as it was one traveller family versus another. So much for keeping the peace. If that's what's been taught in templemore then templemore is a joke and needs to be completely scrapped or overhauled.

My brother is a Garda in that area (not Shannon but won't mention the exact station) and I can assure you the "rumor" along with the Revenue checkpoint story is complete and utter b0ll0x. When the call came in units from six surrounding Garda stations were sent to Shannon. Of course they don't have portal guns/time travel abilities (yet) so they didn't get there within 30 seconds of it kicking off. Hence they must have been holding back obviously or in Supermacs maybe having a feed or cos they don't care, were afraid, asleep, off on revenue duties, let the travellers kill each other etc etc (pick which ever story sounds best to your biased ears and spread it)

In the absense/knowledge of the facts bullsh1t like this fills the void and becomes "fact". But sure thats grand gives some people another stick to beat the Gardai with...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

Checkpoints can and do detect other offences besides the obvious

And people don't realise that and think it's just about tax, insurance etc

My brother is a Garda in that area (not Shannon but won't mention the exact station) and I can assure you the "rumor" along with the Revenue checkpoint story is complete and utter b0ll0x. When the call came in units from six surrounding Garda stations were sent to Shannon. Of course they don't have portal guns/time travel abilities (yet) so they didn't get there within 30 seconds of it kicking off. Hence they must have been holding back obviously or in Supermacs maybe having a feed or cos they don't care, were afraid, asleep, off on revenue duties, let the travellers kill each other etc etc (pick which ever story sounds best to your biased ears and spread it)

In the absense/knowledge of the facts bullsh1t like this fills the void and becomes "fact". But sure thats grand gives some people another stick to beat the Gardai with...

If units were called from six stations as you claim why the hell did it take them so long to get there? Were they walking?? Call a spade a spade. They didn't want to deal with it. Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 james678

I've been driving 15 years doing an average of 40KM a year and have never once went through a checkpoint.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

james678 wrote: »
    I've been driving 15 years doing an average of 40KM a year and have never once went through a checkpoint.

40km a year. What are you driving, a tortoise? :pac:

Translation : Failed the aptitude test or, more likely, the interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Driving daily between Knock and Tuam for nearly 9 years and hardly ever see a Garda checkpoint. I would see the odd Garda car pull into the 24 hour that was just past the Claremorris junction, but that was about it.

Since Harris has come in, I, like a lot in Mayo, have seen a huge difference. Many checkpoints and Garda cars with speed guns etc.

Begs the question - what were these same Gardai doing for the years when Callinan and O'Sullivan were in charge??

I reckon its down to the fact that for years they were lying and falsifying the records but now that they cant, the Gardai have to go out and actually catch people committing the road traffic offences as it will be checked.

bunderoon wrote: »
    Driving daily between Knock and Tuam for nearly 9 years and hardly ever see a Garda checkpoint. I would see the odd Garda car pull into the 24 hour that was just past the Claremorris junction, but that was about it.

Since Harris has come in, I, like a lot in Mayo, have seen a huge difference. Many checkpoints and Garda cars with speed guns etc.

Begs the question - what were these same Gardai doing for the years when Callinan and O'Sullivan were in charge??

I reckon its down to the fact that for years they were lying and falsifying the records but now that they cant, the Gardai have to go out and actually catch people committing the road traffic offences as it will be checked.
    Yep and can you imagine the overtime payments received when faking 2,000,000 alcohol breath tests!

Actually I wonder how much it cost the taxpayer to waste 2,000,000 alcohol breath tests...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Funny when people mention Mayo here and how these checks aren't needed or time wasting or revenue spinners or whatever, well here goes....

A motorbike was caught in Westport over Christmas and it was doing almost 200KM. That's double the speed limit. The section of road was the one coming into the town on the N5. Six garages on the section, a load of houses and boreens and it's up a heck of a hill so no, it's no place for speeding or taking chances.

A week ago on the same stretch of road, my BIL was waiting to take a right turn into their boreen on the very same stretch of road. A mini bus was behind him as he waited to turn. As he began the turn a motorbike came around from behind the bus and wham, into the side of the car. Yer man ended up underneath the car; somehow or other he wasn't crushed or run over and got up to walk away.

And let it be said; it's not the only time that we've seen stuff like that on that same stretch of road. If it was Mr. 200KM that took that risk on the same turn there'd have been a funeral at the weekend, no bones about it. I've been unlucky enough to lose a relative to a RTA; so too have a few of my friends. I don't like speed traps or check points any more than any us but if you hear of repeated gobdawry and recklessness on the roads like the bikers I mentioned then more checks are needed, a lot more.

bunderoon wrote: »

It's just spin. Callinan tried it too. High visibility policing. It's not sustainable because the administrative work doesn't get done and piles up. Then the court appearances that result from the checkpoints all come due and there's nobody left for regular work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

there was a chap plowed out of it and killed by a drunk driver up my way a few years ago, the same people who complained about the lack of garda intervention with drink driving at the time that happened are the ones who complain now when they hear of check points and proactive policing.

if you`re not doing anything wrong then you`ve nothing to worry about. They don`t set them up to catch ordinary people out, they set them up to catch the f*cking low lives who think drinking and driving is ok

Most checkpoints are during the day. You never see them around at closing time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Discodog wrote: »
    Most checkpoints are during the day. You never see them around at closing time.
    Most checkpoints I've encountered have been at night.

*shrug*, YMMV, I supposed.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Most checkpoints I've encountered have been at night.

*shrug*, YMMV, I supposed.

Anyone who follows the Checkpoints Facebook & Twitter groups will know that many are during the day. There are few after 10 pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's not exactly scientific though.

One would expect that the vast majority of contributors to said groups are out and about during the day more than at night. Most are probably professional drivers and tradespeople, whose hours mostly cover 6am to 9pm.

Even if checkpoints were evenly distributed between day and night, I would expect the majority of checkpoint reports to be during the day.

seamus wrote: »
    That's not exactly scientific though.

One would expect that the vast majority of contributors to said groups are out and about during the day more than at night. Most are probably professional drivers and tradespeople, whose hours mostly cover 6am to 9pm.

Even if checkpoints were evenly distributed between day and night, I would expect the majority of checkpoint reports to be during the day.

Three right now all within Galway City. Is 11am prime time for drunk drivers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I dont think my locality (rural Mayo) is any different but for whatever reason in the last few months the amount of Garda checkpoints etc has been ramped up to an incredible degree, they are everywhere at all hours, breathalyzers, tax checks, speeding etc. I mean it makes zero sense for a force that was always complaining and maybe rightly so about being under resourced. obv a decison has been taken at a high level and im wondering by whom and for what reason?

Makes a refreshing change from ambushing Mayo fans on the Mullingar bypass on the Sunday morning of a big match in Croker.

442 Gardai who cancelled penalty point notices had to have been at least of Inspector rank or above. No member of Garda rank could cancel a notice.

So in other words most of the upper ranks are corrupt.
    What about personal responsibility? If we didn't have such a blatant disregard for motoring laws, Gardai would have more resources for other crimes.

Bottom line is that if you comply with the law, you'll be waved through to go about your business. I'd love to meet a checkpoint at least once every time I'm on the road

Ah pure and utter boll**.
    Catching people for motoring offenses is pure and simple about economics and is pretty straight forward.
    The vast vast majority of those caught never resist and hold their hands up.

I once asked a Garda why they never had the speed checks at night or why they were not out and about at night trying to catch people drink driving, etc and he answered pure and simple down to numbers and cost.
    The first thing you listed is "having a presence". That's hilarious seeing as the only time we see them around here is for a tax and insurance checkpoint. Take for example the infamous traveller family riot in the Oakwood hotel in Shannon lately. Everyone saw the video footage. By co Clare standards it was vicious and totally uncalled for. It's an event that was run trouble free for nearly twelve years and yet a select group of well known traveler families decided to destroy the whole spectacle. At the same time this was going on the local Gardai were out on a revenue checkpoint yet again. Rumor has it that when the phone calls came in to Shannon Gardai, they allegedly delayed their response, as it was one traveller family versus another. So much for keeping the peace. If that's what's been taught in templemore then templemore is a joke and needs to be completely scrapped or overhauled.

I remember number of years ago, 2007 I believe, a pub in Kilkelly was set upon by members of our newest ethnic group because they were refused entry.
    The owners and some other people had to barricade themselves inside while the windows were smashed in.
    From recollection it took nearly half an hour for the Garda station in Swinford to send any car.

This station is a district HQ, not just any old station.
    And according to Google is just over 11k and should take around 12 minutes.

And that wasn't the only time they were not great at responding.
    Another incident happened in another pub near Swinford where three Garda did shag all about a group acting out in a pub even though it was nearly closing time on a Sunday night.
    7 of them had to come back at 1am by which time the troublemakers had gone.
    How convenient.:rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    So in other words most of the upper ranks are corrupt.

That's a bit of a leap. That assumes every fine cancelled was cancelled without proper cause which is definitely not the case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement