Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Complaints

Options
  • 14-08-2018 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭

Trying to ask people to stick to the one particular complaint that I would like to discuss is akin to King Canute but here goes anyway!

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/complaints-against-taxis-surge-as-passengers-report-smoking-driver-tatty-seats-and-smelly-cabs-862159.html

In the case of the female passenger who paid over €9.50 - including a 70c tip - in 2c coins, 1c coins and five 20c coins, the woman reported the taxi driver saying ‘What are you giving me?” and she replied the fare and tip and he said: “I don’t want it. I have enough change here.”

She replied - “Are you refusing to take the fare or tip?” and told him ‘My husband drives a taxi and if I thought he was this rude to anyone, I would be disgusted”.

In response, the taxi driver replied: “Well then, you should know better!"

The woman remarked on his rudeness and he told her that she was rude, to get out of the taxi and close the door.

The case against the taxi driver was not proceeded with as there was no evidence of any offence.

To be honest I think I'd have told her off as well, (maybe not as politely as some might ) but I assume that we'd be in the same situation as shops and other business's where we would not be legally obliged to take such a large amount of small coins.

Cue the outbursts of smelly taxis, long way arounds etc etc
    Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

There's nothing obliging someone to accept payment when it's more than 50 coins, if the driver knew that he should have taken her to the nearest Garda Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

TBH the only times it's happened to me were

1 A girl took a shortish journey, less than €6 and offered a handful of coins I could see €4 in €1 and 50c coins and just didn't bother counting the rest.

2 A young lad and his mates took a taxi to local night club €7 or so on the meter, after he spent about ( seemed like more ) 5 minutes counting out his shrapnel one of his mates felt the embarrassment and my threatening to put the meter back on while he counted and paid the fare with a €10 note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Taxi Drivers not knowing where to go.

I got a taxi from Donnycarney to Phibsborough and had to give directions.

I was a fool back then and paid the fare in full

Yay second poster to the thread, got 100% further than I thought. Yiz can all let loose now lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

1. Stop racing and cutting all other road users up.

2. Start checking your cars for defects before you take it on the road.

3. Brake lights, Brake lights and brake lights..... Have you got any actually working.... No then replace the bulbs right away not drive for weeks and months like I see so many do.

4. Dipped beam or 5 watt side lights including rears. Check these work and replace when the light emitted from for example the h7 front bulbs is so low a candle would light up the road better.

5. Stop parking in bus stops and then get so angry at the bus driver that's trying his hardest to make sure his passengers get on/off safely.

6. Don't get out of your vehicle screaming abuse and squaring up.

7. Big John I really really wasn't happy to have ever come across you as you decided to follow me up the road, then proceed to punch my side window and abuse me.... You were the one that cut me up and forced me to take evasive action to stop a collision.
    You then proceeded to the front of my vehicle and rugby tackled the windscreen to make it look like I ran into your person.

You poor thing you made out in your complaint that you were hit 3 to 4 times but at the end said you were uninjured but mentally you could not carry on that day.....
    My heart bleeds.

8. Give respect to other road users.

9. Back to bus stops stop using them as ranks also.

10. Clean your cars.

11. Give good space to cyclists and learn to let the Looney ones off to do their thing.

12. I've ran out of time.....

If you would like to know more about the story at 7. Let me know!!!!

• Advertisement

You don't pay the full fare these days?

Who’s Big John?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Who’s Big John?

I can take it out but that's what he had written on his taxi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP the story sounds like a spoof, but if it was true I'd say she was just a geebag.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The woman remarked on his rudeness and he told her that she was rude
    Everyone was rude, no need to make a big fuss

• Advertisement

OP the story sounds like a spoof, but if it was true I'd say she was just a geebag.

Apparently it was a complaint made to the NTA which they duly followed up on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Why? For offering to pay the fare?

You might want to try that post a second time.

This thread just makes me realise that if I have to deal with the public, there is little doubt that I would be a serial killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Every barman has dealt with the old man (always an old man) who pushes a stack of coins onto the counter and tells you take the price of his pint out of that

And you get a scolding if you go for the larger coins :(

8.50 in 1cent and 2cent coins is taking the piss and breaches the 50 coin limit. Wind up merchant

Sounds like a curtain twitcher busy body to me

You might want to try that post a second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

3x2YBaa.png

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Every barman has dealt with the old man (always an old man) who pushes a stack of coins onto the counter and tells you take the price of his pint out of that

And you get a scolding if you go for the larger coins :(

8.50 in 1cent and 2cent coins is taking the piss and breaches the 50 coin limit. Wind up merchant

Sounds like a curtain twitcher busy body to me

More affectionately known as a c*nt

Hammer89 wrote: »
    3x2YBaa.png

Your man is getting his tenner worth out of her.

Dont worry youll get there eventually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭pgj2015

why wouldn't you pay the fare in full? it would be an offence if you didn't pay the full fare. people often give directions to taxi drivers, if they live in the middle of nowhere, how is the taxi driver supposed to know where they live. and even if they want to go to somewhere well known like say dublin zoo and they give directions to the taxi driver, did he/she not bring you to where you wanted to go? god love ya having to give a few directions:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Hammer89 wrote: »
    3x2YBaa.png

Av yiz got nuttin smaller luv?

pgj2015 wrote: »
    why wouldn't you pay the fare in full? it would be an offence if you didn't pay the full fare. people often give directions to taxi drivers, if they live in the middle of nowhere, how is the taxi driver supposed to know where they live. and even if they want to go to somewhere well known like say dublin zoo and they give directions to the taxi driver, did he/she not bring you to where you wanted to go? god love ya having to give a few directions:confused:

I live about two miles from Dublin city centre on one of the main routes into,and out of the city.

About 30 seconds from dublin zoo.

Not the middle of nowhere.

Now maybe I have the wrng end of the stick here but I imagine that a high priority for taxi drivers is that they know some of the streets that they drive.

Speaking of offences arent taxi drivers supposed to sit a test before they put a taxi on the road

I live about two miles from Dublin city centre on one of the main routes into,and out of the city.

About 30 seconds from dublin zoo.

Not the middle of nowhere.

Now maybe I have the wrng end of the stick here but I imagine that a high priority for taxi drivers is that they know some of the streets that they drive.

Speaking of offences arent taxi drivers supposed to sit a test before they put a taxi on the road

not really an offence.
    maybe the taxi driver was new to the job, it takes time to get to know a city when driving around it, like every person when they start a new job they will make mistakes.

not really an offence.
    maybe the taxi driver was new to the job, it takes time to get to know a city when driving around it, like every person when they start a new job they will make mistakes.

ok so its an offence not to pay your fare.

However, its fine not to know your way around parts of north dublin city. Good to know.

I rarely use taxis.

Now Id rather walk home if this is true

ok so its an offence not to pay your fare.

However, its fine not to know your way around parts of north dublin city. Good to know.

I rarely use taxis.

Now Id rather walk home if this is true

yes not paying your fare is like theft and not knowing your way around is just not knowing your way around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I've got a Scouse accent cos I grew up in Liverpool . Always amusing to see the backtracking from cab drivers when they realise you know the city!!!

Do all drivers try to rip off tourists ???

yes not paying your fare is like theft and not knowing your way around is just not knowing your way around.

I wouldnt mind if they were cheap. Now you have to pay them and do their Job for them. Soon we'll be sitting in the drivers seat and driving the car for them.

I've got a Scouse accent cos I grew up in Liverpool . Always amusing to see the backtracking from cab drivers when they realise you know the city!!!

Apparently it's ok for a taxi driver not to know where theyre going.

Havent you heard?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Apparently it's ok for a taxi driver not to know where theyre going.

Havent you heard?

This eejit tried to take me by the Port Tunnel going from Beaumont hozzy to Heuston!!! Told him to fkc off!!!!

Don't they have to do the knowledge or similar ??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement