Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Complaints

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

This eejit tried to take me by the Port Tunnel going from Beaumont hozzy to Heuston!!! Told him to fkc off!!!!

Don't they have to do the knowledge or similar ??

There was the famous story on liveline about the person who hailed a taxi in Dublin airport.

A taxi driver wouldnt take her because he wouldnt take he through the port tunnel. He claimed he was claustrophobic.

She thought this was a one off. A second taxi driver told her the same thing.

He suspicion was that the alternative route they suggested was the long way round. (She was a local)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

This eejit tried to take me by the Port Tunnel going from Beaumont hozzy to Heuston!!! Told him to fkc off!!!!

See above.

Apparently its ok for a taxi driver not to know where theyre going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

See above.

Apparently its ok for a taxi driver not to know where theyre going.

Big part of the job that I'd say!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Uber. Cheaper, all card payments, and no need to employ civil servants to handle complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

The shortest route isn't always the cheapest

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/taxi-driver-cleared-of-taking-tourists-for-a-ride-after-proving-his-longer-route-to-temple-bar-was-cheaper-36789726.html

And many a time I've taken people away from Camden St. to get to Harcourt St. and other areas because it's cheaper to drive a longer route rather than sit in a jam.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

go a taxi a few years ago from the north side to stephens green

jumped into the first one in the rank and headed off ,

big dude driving with a thick Nigerian accent

about 5 min into the trip he answered the phone whth the pharase " Hello this is the General "

in my partially drunk state it made me very uncomfortable,

but it was ok because he was just giving some one detailed instructions in pidgin english on how to open a bank account with the documents he had provided

n97 mini wrote: »
    Uber. Cheaper, all card payments, and no need to employ civil servants to handle complaints.

https://www.uber.com/en-IE/fare-estimate/

UberBlack ( registered limousine ) is more expensive than a taxi, simple journey from Upper O'Connell St to West Moreland St is forecast on Uber site as €15-€18 a taxi would be about half that ( unless they went via the tunnel :) )

Uber taxis are metered fares as they are required by law to use registered vehicles

I would also question the legality of a cancelation fee as outlined in their pricing €5 for a taxi and €10 for an UberBlack

Also as both UberBlack and UberTaxi use NTA registered SPSVs you're more likely to get a proper response from a civil servant rather than the somewhat hit and miss approach of Uber customer service

https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/www.uber.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I've got a Scouse accent cos I grew up in Liverpool . Always amusing to see the backtracking from cab drivers when they realise you know the city!!!

Do all drivers try to rip off tourists ???

A few years ago myself and my sisters, all of whom lived in Dublin, were getting a taxi to Ranelagh after a Donegal match in Croker where I was wearing my jersey. Taxi driver naturally assumed we were boggers up in the big smoke and tried to take us on the most convoluted trip imaginable across the city. He wasn't pleased when the three of us started giving him very specific directions for the rest of the journey. Chancer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Here are 3 as usual blocking a bus stop.

2 out having a chat and Octavia lad double parked.

No safe place for boarding or alighting passengers.

Did they move fook no they didn't.

Here are 3 as usual blocking a bus stop.

2 out having a chat and Octavia lad double parked.

No safe place for boarding or alighting passengers.

Did they move fook no they didn't.

Should have rang the council or the Gards and got them ticketed.

EDIT BTW the one 26179 doesn't have a valid area sticker on his roof sign.

It's the standard thing of no enforcement, no enforcement for cyclists red light jumping, no enforcement for illegal parking, no enforcement for so many offences!

2nd Edit did you really use a camera phone while driving a bus? and yet you complain about passenger safety....pot n kettle

• Advertisement

Spook_ie wrote: »

Gardai are not interested at all and council doesn't even reply.

Sure there are certain areas where clampers won't even touch ones unattended.

It is crazy what is let go on to be honest.

EDIT BTW the one 26179 doesn't have a valid area sticker on his roof sign.

It's the standard thing of no enforcement, no enforcement for cyclists red light jumping, no enforcement for illegal parking, no enforcement for so many offences!

2nd Edit did you really use a camera phone while driving a bus? and yet you complain about passenger safety....pot n kettle

Bit unfair doing the edits a good time after.

Yes I took the photos but I was not in motion had the doors open and the bus was also in neutral.

I am well aware of the legalities so I wouldn't incriminate myself by doing what you said.

If you want to know you only have to ask and I'm disappointed you made the comment you did without knowing.
    It makes me look like I did wrong when I didn't.

Oh and believe me I take passengers safety very seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I would be mortified handing over a lump of change like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Lux23 wrote: »
    I would be mortified handing over a lump of change like that.

TBH my taxi the other morning was a fiver and I apologised three or four times for handing over 2 2 euros and a 1 euro!

Bit unfair doing the edits a good time after.

Yes I took the photos but I was not in motion had the doors open and the bus was also in neutral.

I am well aware of the legalities so I wouldn't incriminate myself by doing what you said.

If you want to know you only have to ask and I'm disappointed you made the comment you did without knowing.
    It makes me look like I did wrong when I didn't.

Oh and believe me I take passengers safety very seriously.

Obviously you did do wrong and your passenger safety is in question if you're prepared to take photographs with a mobile phone whilst driving a bus ( doors open in neutral would be irrelevant if a Garda observed you ) and it was only when I realised that you had taken 3 separate photographs I decided that your high horse needed a slap, but it does show that lack of enforcement allowed you to take photographs anyway.

Obviously you did do wrong and your passenger safety is in question if you're prepared to take photographs with a mobile phone whilst driving a bus ( doors open in neutral would be irrelevant if a Garda observed you ) and it was only when I realised that you had taken 3 separate photographs I decided that your high horse needed a slap, but it does show that lack of enforcement allowed you to take photographs anyway.

Engine off also mind.

It would matter.

Show me a law where you are pulled in and not driving that this is an offence.

I thought this thread was about complaints of taxis anyway.....

How is it any time someone posts a photo or video on boards it's ripped to shreds and then the poster attacked.

I am contributing to the thread and want to highlight what is going on all around the city day and night.

These taxis make our job extremely difficult from their shoddy driving to disgraceful disregard for others around them bad parking.

Engine off also mind.

It would matter.

Show me a law where you are pulled in and not driving that this is an offence.

I thought this thread was about complaints of taxis anyway.....

How is it any time someone posts a photo or video on boards it's ripped to shreds and then the poster attacked.

I am contributing to the thread and want to highlight what is going on all around the city day and night.

These taxis make our job extremely difficult from their shoddy driving to disgraceful disregard for others around them bad parking.

Actually if you read the OP it's specific to a customer complaining that a taxi driver wouldn't take a fare plus tip in a quantity of 5x20c and the rest made up of bronze coinage, but as it the way of AH it degenerates into the LCD, therefore if you wish to digress from the OP then expect to receive as you give :)

As to engine off, you were prevented from pulling up at a bus stop by illegally parked taxis, I don't believe there is a ruling that allows you to break a law just because someone else is breaking a different law and also the bus stop in question isn't a stop that permits parking a bus AFAIK

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Whats this 50 coin limit people are referring too?

I have about €100 in my coin jar , 1c 2c and 5c coins, Im not paying a fee to change them to coins.

Will use them this weekend for a meal, lets see if after the meal they will accept them

I have about €100 in my coin jar , 1c 2c and 5c coins, Im not paying a fee to change them to coins.

Will use them this weekend for a meal, lets see if after the meal they will accept them

Go to one of the refurbished Circle K ( ex Topaz ) garages that insist on giving you back €39.99 in change from a €50 if you put in €10.01 of fuel and fill the machine up while paying for your purchases, should see the queue build up behind you as the coin counter goes "chugger chugger chug chug" counting your coins, the plus side is if you put in too much it gives you back higher denomination coins like €1 and €2 coins.

Found this for you
    10.—(1) No person, other than the Central Bank of Ireland and such persons as may be designated by the Minister by order, shall be obliged to accept more than 50 coins denominated in euro or in cent in any single transaction.

from

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1998/act/38/section/10/enacted/en/html#sec10

So the restaurant unless designated are not obliged to accept more than 50 coins, you would be advised to have an alternate payment method if the staff know their regulations and rights and things turn sour enough for the Gards to get called

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

In future, dont activate a thread from 6 years ago: just start your own.

From the Abbey Theatre to Wynns is up the laneway and a left. A very short distance and Abbey Street is a one-way in a maze of one-way systems.

Did you go to Store Street Garda Station??

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭thereiver

I think there's a toll for the port tunnel

Taxi drivers might prefer to avoid it

Taxi drivers have their cars inspected by the taxi office once a year they don't do the knowledge like in the UK

The problem is everyone wants a taxi when the pubs close some taxi drivers might not want to work at night

Dealing with the public is not easy

Some people do a runner try not to pay the fare taxi drivers set their own schedule we have a shortage of nurses and gardai. Drivers get old they retire around the age of 60 to make good money you need to work 40;hours a week

You have to pay whatever is on the meter when you reach your destination

My friend worked 10 years as a taxi driver he,s now retired

He would work from 6 pm til 4 in the morning 5 days a week it's a tough job I'd you want a social life

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Split out to new thread as otherwise posters will be replying to old posts from closed accounts and so forth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement