Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd buy that for a $: Retro bargains

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Is referring to a Snes as a Jap Snes discriminatory now?
    A US, NTSC, PAL, Asian or PAL is fine but "Jap" is discriminatory because... it's short for Japanese?
    Last people to use "Jap" in a derogatory manner were veterans of WWII, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is referring to a Snes as a Jap Snes discriminatory now?
    A US, NTSC, PAL, Asian or PAL is fine but "Jap" is discriminatory because... it's short for Japanese?
    Last people to use "Jap" in a derogatory manner were veterans of WWII, no?

I was just kidding!

I never understood how its discriminatory since it just shortens the word!

I think pewdiepie took too many rides on the tunnel of prejudice
    lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The Japanese lads on Ebay tend to use JP to denote region. I figure if they didn't mind Jap they'd stick it in as well cos tags.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hmm, I'll keep it in mind.
    I'm certainly not so attached to it as a turn of phrase, but then... when discussing the pleasures of game importing at work, could happen some day, do I use "Jap" in conversation to denote the region of my copy of Einhander or jaypee.
    I ask because to many of my clients jaypee is shorthand for a John Player Blue....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

It's got a negative connotation because as a term it was used heavily in war time propaganda.

• Advertisement

I get that this was a thing once, I just didn't know it remained a derogatory term.
    But, if it's offensive, I won't use it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I get that this was a thing once, I just didn't know it remained a derogatory term.
    But, if it's offensive, I won't use it any more.

I use it unashamedly all the time and will continue to do so :pac:

(When referring to imports of course and not people!)

Yeah, well I figured the same.
    A jap Snes or Jap Megadrive never seemed out of place here.
    I would not use it to describe an individual, but describing a device seemed to be the norm, on this forum at least.
    Doesn't seem terribly uncommon on ebay either, though they do seem to be EU sellers in the main.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Should we all be racist now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    Will let this all go for €150 to a boardsie - http://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/retro-games-job-lot/13668265

Any chance you could hold onto this lot till pay day later this month? :)

o1s1n wrote: »
    Any chance you could hold onto this lot till pay day later this month? :)

For the oismeister? Tis a done deal :)

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    For the oismeister? Tis a done deal :)

Cheers dude! On a bit of a SNES thing at the moment, been after Demons Blazon for an age!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Cheers dude! On a bit of a SNES thing at the moment, been after Demons Blazon for an age!

Grand, message me whenever to sort it all out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭frasr

Jurassic Park pinball in Cork, no price, but maybe free...

"Vintage Jurassic Park Pinball machine. In need of a bit of TLC. If you can collect it, you can have it."

https://www.donedeal.ie/toys-for-sale/vintage-electronic-pinball-machine/16754999

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

And... it’s gone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

My donedeal alert didnt pick that one up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Please say one of us got it?

Master of the Universe

eddhorse wrote: »
    Please say one of us got it?

I'd say it's in the back of Mitch's van as we speak :pac:

They've a nice selection of Japanese Famicom/Super Famicom/Md games in RAGE, not out on the shelf but available to have a root through if you ask.
    Nearly bought Ghosts'n Goblins for the NTSC NES while I was there, but €29.99 was a little steep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

Nope not guilty didn't even see it posted!!!

Ah thats a shame

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Hopefully someone claimed it here and just didn't post yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

wow. wasn't me either.

Let's hope we don't see it pop up on adverts with the price gouger tax applied....

Will Ole Jack Burton read this in time to avail of the awesome Teefury BTiLC tee they've got on sale today???
    http://www.teefury.com/

TAF pin on donedeal, though I'm sure someone has already been in contact. If room for negotiation, could be a reasonable price if the condition is right.

Would be somewhat wary given how often ones like this are listed on sites using pics from other sales or listings (I see this one has a dollar coin insert from the pic, but maybe I'm just too suspicious)
    https://www.donedeal.ie/collectibles-for-sale/1992-addams-family-pinball-machine-bally/16802205

Dang its gone, how much was it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

It was 3500 or something ? In around there as far as I can remember.

• Advertisement

Advertisement