Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite suburb of Dublin?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steve-collins

TK1 wrote: »
    Ive no reason to spoof, why would i, maybe it depends on what part of killester I would imagine? I lived in Abbeyfield, and no way would i get into city centre in ten minutes, sure it could take you that to get out onto the Malahide road, its always twenty or more depending on the traffic. Clontarf would take about ten minutes again depending on traffic. Ramble Inn is a dump, ive drank in it for various reasons, toilets always broke, carpert filthy, its a dump, nothing wrong with the locals, but the pub itself is a dump and badly needs a revamp and i dont know anyone that would disagree with that! ETA just go onto aa routeplanner, and it will tell you 18 mins and thats with no traffic delays.....

If your going from Abbeyfield why would you go down the Malahide road, Howth road is much handier. Not too mention Harry Byrnes and The Hollybrook are few mins walk from Killester which are in Clontarf or are you going to dispute that aswel.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Fact: it's larger than Monaco, Vatican City, and five times as big as Hyde Park.

Phoenix Park is not just bigger than Monaco, it's over 3 times bigger than Monaco.

It's crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 TK1

steve, ive done both routes, and malahide road is quicker believe or not. Why are you finding it so hard to believe. YOu mus tbe a great walker to get to Harry Byrnes in a few minutes, what part of Killester are you in? Or is it Donncarney, which is a big difference :) . Anyway, over and out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

Nothing comes close to the beautiful town of Balbriggan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Cienciano wrote: »
    Ranelagh would be my ideal place to live in. Great village and nice quiet sidestreets. Howth is nice, but a bit isolated. Dalkey village is probably the nicest imho. Can see why it's so pricey, the Dalkey Killiney area is quality. Or a crime ridden hellhole if you're from outside the pale.

25-30 minutes to Connolly ain’t that isolated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Wow, a lot of love for Rathmines here.

When I moved to Rathmines, I was there two days and walking to the shops, unmarked car with two armed detectives pulled up beside me and asked me where I'm from and what I'm doing here, I explained I had just moved in and all and they told me the area is very heavily policed (there were a lot of expensive cars etc. in the area), are there any other parts of the city where there's this kind of patrolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

El_Bee wrote: »
    When I moved to Rathmines, I was there two days and walking to the shops, unmarked car with two armed detectives pulled up beside me and asked me where I'm from and what I'm doing here, I explained I had just moved in and all and they told me the area is very heavily policed (there were a lot of expensive cars etc. in the area), are there any other parts of the city where there's this kind of patrolling?

Not really, the policing is there to protect the upper echelons of society(also in their other areas).
    It's quite amusing that we see people post their favourite areas of Dublin(usually the posh parts) but yet they could not ever afford to live in that same area in their lifetime, it's like some sort of fantasy that needs realism where they'd end up settling in some commuter town for decades!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

People pick the posh places as their favourite ones because theyre nice, why would you have to live there or be able to afford it to pick it? I coucld never afford to live in ranelagh but its beautiful and a really ****ing nice place to live and Im jealous of my friends that can afford to live there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

wakka12 wrote: »
    People pick the posh places as their favourite ones because theyre nice, why would you have to live there or be able to afford it to pick it? I coucld never afford to live in ranelagh but its beautiful and a really ****ing nice place to live and Im jealous of my friends that can afford to live there

Who can afford to live in Ranelagh, it's usually students multi-sharing or maybe someone whois quite wealthy. It's looks to me that the responses in this thread are from the student crowd who live there multi sharing their flatland presently enjoying their student lives, or people who desire to live there after they've moved to commuteland. Living in Ranelagh and it's sister suburbs is the subject of fantasy when people move on from their student days.

Of course, if Ranelagh and its sister burbs had high rise apartment blocks like in continental cities, people can settle there like in their youth. A pity that there is no prospect of that happening anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

You can high-rise all you like inside the canals. Outside - no focking way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Hoof_Harted

Abrakebabra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The question in the op was favourite suburb in Dublin, not where you can afford or not to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

klaaaz wrote: »
    It's quite amusing that we see people post their favourite areas of Dublin(usually the posh parts) but yet they could not ever afford to live in that same area in their lifetime, it's like some sort of fantasy that needs realism where they'd end up settling in some commuter town for decades!

I'm not sure you understand what "favourite" means.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So if I'm reading the results correctly... Rathmines is the clear winner, ahead of the coastal spots Howth, Malahide, Dun Laoghaire, Clontarf.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

odyssey06 wrote: »
    So if I'm reading the results correctly... Rathmines is the clear winner, ahead of the coastal spots Howth, Malahide, Dun Laoghaire, Clontarf.

Yep.. well serviced urban coastal villages with cracking amenities and lots of open space. They have it all really.

odyssey06 wrote: »

Yeah well lets be honest, the bulk of dublin is a sh*thole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

Stoneybatter is nice for a taste of real Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

El_Bee wrote: »
    Yeah well lets be honest, the bulk of dublin is a sh*thole.

It's not really though. In keeping with the spirit of the thread, what's your favorite suburb of Dublin, the one like instead of the one you choose to live in or lived in?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It's not really though. In keeping with the spirit of the thread, what's your favorite suburb of Dublin, the one like instead of the one you choose to live in or lived in?

I've already said, I lived in Rathmines for a period of time, fantastic place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

25-30 minutes to Connolly ain’t that isolated

Unlike other parts of Dublin, HOwth is surrounded by water. While it is not onerous to get to the city, as it is only contiguous with Sutton it has perhaps 20% of the accessibility of any equivalent suburb. THat's not necessarily a drawback if you like the sea!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Marcusm wrote: »
    Unlike other parts of Dublin, HOwth is surrounded by water. While it is not onerous to get to the city, as it is only contiguous with Sutton it has perhaps 20% of the accessibility of any equivalent suburb. THat's not necessarily a drawback if you like the sea!

Always found Howth had a bit of a strange vibe to the place can't put a finger to it. There's just something I just don't like about it but don't quite know what it is. It's a beautiful place due it's location and great for walking or outdoor activities but I wouldn't want to live there personally.

Advertisement