Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite suburb of Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Spoken like somebody who has never lived in Dublin but read a couple of articles online

WRONG!
    i studied and worked in dublin for many years. i own property there. i visit there at least every other month.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Has to be Portmarnock or Malahide

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

Wonderful community spirit here in Tallaght couldn't see myself moving to any other part of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 j.thornton

Howth is absolutely stunning for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Keatsian

Definitely Ranelagh, it's lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

fryup wrote: »
    seapoint,

lovely spot...great place for a swim on a summers day

Yeah one of those nice little cottages down on the shore there. Superb. DART behind you if ever did want to spend an afternoon in the madness. Some folks dip in the water in winter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

overcrowded, overpriced, congested, polluted, crime-ridden.
    what's not to like...

That’s utter bollox, it’s not overcrowded in fact it’s problem is that it sprawls too much, traffic is congested alright, pollution is no worse than other cities and it’s not crime ridden, all cities have crime and all cities have rough as areas. Dublin suburbs are full of leafy communities but the news has no need to report on these so you don’t hear about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

WRONG!
    i studied and worked in dublin for many years. i own property there. i visit there at least every other month.:p

Why was your landlord kicking you out of your rented property in Dublin 11 months ago when you have property here?

What part of Dublin did you buy this "property" in that's so overcrowded?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Am I right in assuming it has no pub?

No it has the gables

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Wonderful community spirit here in Tallaght couldn't see myself moving to any other part of Dublin.

I would NEVER leave Dublin. Period. I love this place too much.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    No it has the gables

Googled it, seems like a nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

There's very few cities better than Dublin. Being by the coast(regardless of weather) and the relative high standard of living immediately puts it high on list of European cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I live in a lovely spot here. Will never tell anyone where it is. Glorious place, no through traffic, no mad kids and 20 minutes to town, and very few know where the fek it is. I have spoken about it before.

I am a born and bred Dub though. So I know the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Robocop Corcoran

I live in a lovely spot here. Will never tell anyone where it is. Glorious place, no through traffic, no mad kids and 20 minutes to town, and very few know where the fek it is. I have spoken about it before.

Lambay Island?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,483 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Foxrock. the architecture of the houses have so much history I'd love to learn more about how these houses came about. Was driving through Foxrock the other day and the differences in architecture are huge (not the modern developments)- from Georgian to art deco 30's - don't know anything about the history of the area but imagine it's quite interesting in terms of how/why it came about.

We recently had a few developments planning denied because Foxrock (at least the 3 roads off the village) is characterised as being a sylvan setting, i.e. large houses, gardens and lots of trees. There's lots being built at the moment, but they're generally of a good size.

Wow, a lot of love for Rathmines here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,817 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

how do you see results

how do you see results

I'm the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

But what will you do when they move you to the new Mental Hospital in Portrane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steve-collins

Killester, some of the roads are like country roads leading into a village, real quiet and peacefull and only 10 minute drive from the city centre, 5 minute drive from the coast, nice pubs and resteraunts around and full of lovley little bungalows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Keatsian wrote: »
    Definitely Ranelagh, it's lovely.

Ranelagh would be my ideal place to live in. Great village and nice quiet sidestreets. Howth is nice, but a bit isolated. Dalkey village is probably the nicest imho. Can see why it's so pricey, the Dalkey Killiney area is quality. Or a crime ridden hellhole if you're from outside the pale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 TK1

Ah steve serioulsy, i grew up in killester, its definately not 10 mins drive into city centre, it would take at least 20 mins unless youre breaking lights, and its not 5 min drive to the coast, seriously, how can you say that with a straight face :) Theres only two pubs in killester, the ramble inn (killester ave) and beachcomber on howth road, would you really call the ramble inn a nice pub? Apart from that, you are right, killester was a lovely place to grow up in!

Ramble inn is a grand pub, full of locals but no trouble, but your a stones throw from clontarf with pubs like The Yatch, The Sheds and also couple minutes away from Raheny where you have The Manhattan, Raheny Inn and The Watermill, give or take its a 5 minute drive to the coast and a 10 minute drive to town except when its rush hour.

Are you an estate agent Steve, ramble inn is a grand pub? And what does that mean, full of locals but no trouble, why would the local costs trouble?? Anyway, ramble inn is a dump, you know it and i know it, you cant walk past the pub without smoke blowing into your face and the a load of "locals" hanging around outside, and there is trouble there, every few nights the guards are called, just cause i dont live there, my famkly still do so im over there a lot. Btw, im not a snob, know loads of people that drink in ramble inn but they even admit its a dump :) And a stones throw from clontarf, couple mins away from raheny? Serioulsy steve, stop, just stop :)

Whatever you say TK. Drank in the Ramble many a time and hardly any hassle bar the odd scuffle when someones drank too much. You also have the Killester Football club which is a grand little boozer .

the odd scuffle!! , my husband was amazed a few years ago when i brought him in, he couldnt get over it, said it was like something out of the commitments :) Still the drink is cheap. Prefer the beachcomber though but not half as lively, keep thinking if only they put some music on there i would go more often, its quite dead lately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Portmarnock by far.

Ok there's hardly feck all here except the beach, but that's what I love about Portmarnock.

Until recently (Lidl and the new building beside it) Portmarnock has hardly been touched. The beach is stunning, its where I run and walk the dogs.. I sometimes take a book down to read there too, its just stunning year round.

I love running the trails on Howth, there's some stunning views of the coast from the Mourne Mountains, east to Welsh mountains and down south as far as Arklow.

I think I live in one of the most beautiful parts of Dublin, I never get tired of this area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

TK1 wrote: »
    Are you an estate agent Steve, ramble inn is a grand pub? And what does that mean, full of locals but no trouble, why would the local costs trouble?? Anyway, ramble inn is a dump, you know it and i know it, you cant walk past the pub without smoke blowing into your face and the a load of "locals" hanging around outside, and there is trouble there, every few nights the guards are called, just cause i dont live there, my famkly still do so im over there a lot. Btw, im not a snob, know loads of people that drink in ramble inn but they even admit its a dump :) And a stones throw from clontarf, couple mins away from raheny? Serioulsy steve, stop, just stop :)

Nothing he said is wrong. You're just here spoofing tbh.

Unless you're talking about rush hour traffic you're ten minutes from the city, and almost at any time day or night you're five minutes or less from Clontarf.

I don't know why you're disagreeing with him, if you're from the area then you know he's telling the truth.

I've drank in the Ramble Inn, it wouldn't be my first port of call in the area but it's a grand local for a pint.

Ive no reason to spoof, why would i, maybe it depends on what part of killester I would imagine? I lived in Abbeyfield, and no way would i get into city centre in ten minutes, sure it could take you that to get out onto the Malahide road, its always twenty or more depending on the traffic. Clontarf would take about ten minutes again depending on traffic. Ramble Inn is a dump, ive drank in it for various reasons, toilets always broke, carpert filthy, its a dump, nothing wrong with the locals, but the pub itself is a dump and badly needs a revamp and i dont know anyone that would disagree with that! ETA just go onto aa routeplanner, and it will tell you 18 mins and thats with no traffic delays.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Google Maps says 14 minutes, and it tends to overestimate.

But it also depends on what you classify as the city centre. On Google Maps I used Custom House Quay.

Advertisement