Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conference Championships

Options
  • 15-01-2019 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,826 ✭✭✭✭

NFC Sunday 8pm

Rams @ Saints

AFC Sunday 11.40pm

Patriots @ Chiefs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

11:40......grrrrrrrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Rams and Pats to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

Saints and Chiefs.

Home advantage again is just so crucial at this stage in the season.

The Patriots road form all year has been poor so the Chiefs have to be favourites and should win. My only slight doubt is that the Patriots are the Patriots and usually find a way to win when it matters.

The Saints got a bit of a scare last weekend from the Eagles so I expect them to improve on that performance and beat the Rams.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Paleface wrote: »
    Saints and Chiefs.

Home advantage again is just so crucial at this stage in the season.

The Patriots road form all year has been poor so the Chiefs have to be favourites and should win. My only slight doubt is that the Patriots are the Patriots and usually find a way to win when it matters.

The Saints got a bit of a scare last weekend from the Eagles so I expect them to improve on that performance and beat the Rams.

An Eagles team with a lot of injuries and no run game ran them close ... Rams are a major upgrade on the Eagles, offensively at least...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

Saint

Pat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Fancy the Saints against the Rams, I think home advantage should be enough to see them through.

Can't really pick against the Chiefs in the 2nd game. The Patriots are 3-5 on the road this season, with 2 of those wins against the Bills (with no Allen) and the Jets. Obviously, the playoffs is new territory, but you can't ignore the form. The temperatures are expected to be well in the minuses so it could contribute to a low scoring game, I'd give the Pats more of a chance were that to transpire, but again, home advantage should be enough to see the Chiefs through.
    Not looking forward to work on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Not going to be as cold in Kansas as preciously expected.
    Will be about -5 so still gonna be cold but not what was on the cards.
    Its actually going to be colder in Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

I think both games have the potential to be Barnstormers.

Fancy both home teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

• Registered Users Posts: 39,474 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Going for the Chiefs and Rams to win the games. Also that's a poor question to Bill. There's a way of asking him a question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    There's a way of asking him a question.

Ask him where he’s onto next?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Going for Chiefs and Saints but finding the NFC game hard to figure out

Ask him where he’s onto next?

No, ask him about football tactics. If you ask him a yes or no question you won't get a good answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,603 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    No, ask him about football tactics. If you ask him a yes or no question you won't get a good answer.
    Ask him a good football question and he will blow your mind with the answer and the detail he will go into.

I'm not overly confident but I'm quietly confident that the Patriots will win on Sunday.
    I just think there isn't enough playoff experience on that Chiefs team and I think it'll be one of the key factors in the game.
    Mahomes is playing a championship calibre opponent for the first time in the playoffs. We will learn an awful lot about him on Sunday. From clutchness to how he reacts when the play breaks down and there is nowhere to go. To be a great QB you have to be able to make the right decisions in those key moments in a playoff game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I find it hard to pick against the Patriots having seen the last few months.

Saints by 5-7.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Damn I thought the games would be 6pm and 9.30 won’t be able to stay up late

Saints and chiefs for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

Have the Patriots ever won on the road on their way to a Superbowl?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Paleface wrote: »
    Have the Patriots ever won on the road on their way to a Superbowl?

They won the AFC Championship in Pittsburgh before beating the Rams in the Superbowl. They did the same thing again before beating the Eagles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

4-0 last week and 7-1 in the playoffs. Going for two home wins again this week. Playoffs have been pretty disappointing up until now but I expect both of these to be tight and easily go the other way.

Saints - Only bye team to have a real scare last week which should focus the mind from the start today. Rams secondary was picked apart too much last week by an inferior group of players than they'll be facing this week. Peters looks like a complete liability but if their secondary can hold things together in coverage they have the ingredients on the DL to do similar to the Saints as the Cowboys did earlier in the season. I however just don't have enough faith in Goff performing compared to Brees, especially with the noise in the stadium potentially impacting what help McVay can give him.

Chiefs - Despite Brady's outburst about not being respected there has rightfully been a lots of talk this week of the Patriots' achievements of making AFC championship games. There is however the issue that Brady has played in more Super Bowls than he has in playoff games on the road and the Patriots have a losing record on the road this year. I understand the hope that Bill learned so much about Mahomes during their first game but you have to remember that that was Mahomes' 6th real pro game and he's seen a lot and grown since then. I know how great Bill is at taking away what teams do well (which is why I'll likely have Patriots as my pick if they make the Super Bowl) but I don't see how that is done against the Chiefs offensive, as Mahomes can hurt you in too many ways and they have too many explosive weapons. On the other side I feel the Patriots won't be facing as easy a ride as they got last week and the Chiefs defense will be able to do just enough to eek out a win.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 175 ✭✭jimjimjimmy

Saints and Chiefs to win for me, Saints because I'm a Saints fan. Going for the Chiefs because they are at home and Brady's road playoff record is poor, by his standards. I've been hoping for a Saints v Chiefs Super Bowl most of this season, not changing my mind now.

Going to be a great night of football, off work tomorrow and have a fully stocked beer fridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Two home wins for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Really tough to call the first game. Home adv for the Saints might be enough. Wouldn’t mind seeing Brees get another shot at the SB.

Cheifs at home is a similar adv, and the Pats have been fragile away from home this year, but can never rule out the Pats with Brady at QB. Chiefs have outstanding talent on offense, so will need the “good” Pats D to turn up (without having the confidence that they will) to stand a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Jaysus the lad singing the national anthem just now hasn't got a note in his head.

I've just remembered that the AFC trophy is named after Lamar hunt the founder of the AFL and Kansas City chiefs. The chiefs have never won it because pre merger in 1970 they won the AFL championship to go to the super bowl. So if they win(which I've picked them to do) that will be a special moment for his son.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

I would be happy to see either of these teams in the super bowl, but fancy the saints to do the business at home.

Saints get a field goal on the first drive. It was almost a td.
    Defense needs to get off the field quickly now and give the Saints a chance to open up a two score lead early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Demario Davis making plays, love it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

That’s a huge turnover already.

• Advertisement

Wow a pick for the Saints. Their second drive starts just inside the red zone.

Advertisement