Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing your new candidate for Europe

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭mossieh

Best of luck, Tom. I'm not in your constituency but if you have a fund, I'll donate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Why do I feel we should be calling shenanigans on this one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Perhaps after this you could run for king? I think you'd look good with a crown and sceptre.

When I go forwards you go backwards, and somewhere we will meet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I wouldn't vote for the same map as him in QW, much less give him any more power than he currently has.

He's evil, just look at his shifty eyes.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

Life shouldn't revolve just around the internet. How will broadband for everyone deal with something like the ECB crashing or Russia declaring war on Europe over Crimea. This is what they deal with on a day to day basis in Europe. Not that our politicians are any use in these debates anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Why is it all the Mod's posts are approved, but mine has yet to appear? I wonder why that is?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

April Fools Day, No?

I'd vote for him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Skeleton XIII

But what about us braindead slobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

There's been a very mixed reaction to this announcement and it's been kinda fascinating to read. This is of course an April fool's joke and Tom is not nor has he currently any intention of ever running for any political office here in Ireland.

However, there are some important elements of truth in this that we don't want to gloss over or think we just poked fun at. Boards does believe in an open and free internet and net neutrality, but with that has to come personal responsibility for people's actions online. We would love to be able to let you say whatever you want here, but with the law being so completely incompatible with the internet, the service provider like your ISP and like us are the ones who get punished and not the person who made the statement. Tom has often touted the phrase "you own your own words" - this means you should be prepared to take responsibility for what you say and do on the internet and not hide behind a screen and to always remember that you are not shouting at the ether, there are other very real humans reading your words, reacting to your words, being affected by your words.

We do want Boards to be an independent third party platform where Irish people can talk to each other and to the companies they do business with and to their elected representatives. We'd love to have areas of government and civil service as well as individual TD's, Senators and Councillors officially represented on the site too. It's a slow process, but we've been around for 15 years and we're not planning on going anywhere :)

So to all of you who played along, thank you. :D To all of you who got suckered in, sorry :p And to Tom for agreeing to be a political candidate, even if it was just for half a day, thank you too ;)

PS: did people honestly think we would actually want to integrate your details into a system that seems to be horribly abused by it's users like PULSE? All this Garda Commissioner/GSOC/whistleblowing stuff makes for disturbing reading and we think keeping your data safe is rather important :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Best of luck Tom; too bad I'm not in your constituency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Dav wrote: »
    There's been a very mixed reaction to this announcement and it's been kinda fascinating to read. This is of course an April fool's joke and Tom is not nor has he currently any intention of ever running for any political office here in Ireland.

However, there are some important elements of truth in this that we don't want to gloss over or think we just poked fun at. Boards does believe in an open and free internet and net neutrality, but with that has to come personal responsibility for people's actions online. We would love to be able to let you say whatever you want here, but with the law being so completely incompatible with the internet, the service provider like your ISP and like us are the ones who get punished and not the person who made the statement. Tom has often touted the phrase "you own your own words" - this means you should be prepared to take responsibility for what you say and do on the internet and not hide behind a screen and to always remember that you are not shouting at the ether, there are other very real humans reading your words, reacting to your words, being affected by your words.

We do want Boards to be an independent third party platform where Irish people can talk to each other and to the companies they do business with and to their elected representatives. We'd love to have areas of government and civil service as well as individual TD's, Senators and Councillors officially represented on the site too. It's a slow process, but we've been around for 15 years and we're not planning on going anywhere :)

So to all of you who played along, thank you. :D To all of you who got suckered in, sorry :p And to Tom for agreeing to be a political candidate, even if it was just for half a day, thank you too ;)

PS: did people honestly think we would actually want to integrate your details into a system that seems to be horribly abused by it's users like PULSE? All this Garda Commissioner/GSOC/whistleblowing stuff makes for disturbing reading and we think keeping your data safe is rather important :D

Good one. Had me :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I realised straight away. But my posts were not approved for some reason...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

Its not in anyway implausable that he might run for office, nor is it implausable that an election manifesto might be as was proposed.

Dana (crack pot manifesto, which you would think was April fools), Sean Gallager (self styled business man) anyone?

Still I did post - doh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Hook, line and sinker.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Good effort, the excuse to pre-moderate posts was a masterstroke.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Hats off lads, lovely prank.

Tom is one of the least likely people I have ever met to run for office, and as such demonstrates perfectly the aphorism 'those most deserving of public office rarely seek it'. Tom would be a worthy representative for the Irish people if he chose to do so.
    As such my offer stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Devastated, you had me there as well! :o I would have voted and all! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

DeVore wrote: »
    I will stop at nothing,
    Say the right things,
    When electioneering I trust I can rely on your vote

A job that slowly kills you
    Bruises that won't heal

You look so tired and unhappy
    Bring down the government
    They don't speak for us

I'll take a quiet life
    A handshake. Some carbon monoxide

No alarms and no surprises please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Damn I took it that one of his policies was that all the details that were uploaded into Pulse would be there for all boardsies to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Ah you got me. Good one. :)

My eyes skipped over that one. Should probably be scrutinising candidates more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,053 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

All Glory to Hypnotoad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Mr. Murphy, your campaign seems to have the momentum of a runaway freight train. Why are you so popular?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I wasn't fooled at first, but as the day went on, I started to wonder.....! :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

What am I supposed to do with the 10,000 flyers I printed :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    What am I supposed to do with the 10,000 flyers I printed :(
    Distribute them anyway. If he won't take the office under his own power, lets see if ten thousand boardsies can shove someone into office kicking and screaming :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

This is of course an April fool's joke and Tom is not nor has he currently any intention of ever running for any political office here in Ireland.

Actually it's an idea, prank or not, that has some actual merit...the very idea that someone who knows that the internet is not powered by kittens running for office would be a good idea...

Although it would be once voice smothered by nonsense:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tom would make an awful politician anyway.

He's too driven, to honest and too willing to follow through on plans and promises. He'd go fncking spare sitting in a parliament listening to windbags talking a lot and doing absolutely nothing.

I only saw this thread today, and I was delighted until I read the date of the first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Me neither.

*goes out to peel Tom For Europe stickers off car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Riiiightt.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ion564

Aprils fools

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

So these last 48 hours have been a bit mad-busy for me, so I haven't had a chance to have as much fun with this as possible!!

Firstly, yeah ... this was an April Fool (even though most of the agenda is really stuff we are serious about!).

Secondly... wow, I cant believe the response I got for this from Boards, twitter, facebook and even texts from mates of mine offering money and support and work. Honestly, as the day wore on I was kinda touched so many people said so many nice things (generally followed about 30 minutes later by "you are a D*CK!" :)

But thirdly, no... while I would really like to be part of the solution, our political system is constructed to resist change, deliberately so in my opinion. I don't feel right now that I could stay sane and tackle that problem from the inside. I will continue to be an activist from the outside as best I can.
    I've watched a friend of mine, Stephen Donnelly, waste away in the Dail, while he has the experience and intelligence to lead this country. The inertia he has encountered is truly disheartening.

So, what a crazy Aprils Fool that turned out to be hahah... Many thanks to Dav for an awesome job on all the work to do this. It was an april fools for everyone else but kinda ended up being one on me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

You can exercise political change without being directly involved in politics. You're doing well just where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Considering the lack of choice for Midlands-North-West (who in their right mind would vote for Ronan Mullen?!), I'm tempted to spoil my vote by scrawling #DeVoreForEurope on it. :D

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement