Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing your new candidate for Europe

Options
  • 01-04-2014 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Inspired by Kim Dotcom's bold leap into the world of politics, Boards.ie announces a new candidate for the upcoming European Parliament elections.

301130.jpg

Tom "DeVore" Murphy has been an activist for internet rights for almost 20 years. In this time he has seen it change from Sir Tim Berners-Lee's humble beginnings to an integral part of daily life. However, we have all seen the shockingly poor knowledge and foresight shown by our politicians when it comes to understanding this revolutionary tool and this has to change. European citizen's rights are being decided upon by people with almost no hands on experience of daily life with the Internet.

With this said, Murphy's key issues will be:
    • A free and open internet for all
    • Internet access is a basic right, every citizen needs it
    • Repealing the 2009 Defamation Act to once again allow free speech in Ireland
    • Integration of Boards.ie's Moderation and Administrative tools into PULSE for the tracking and aprehension of internet criminals
    • Repealing "Sherlock's Folly" and enacting real and meaningful law in areas of copyright
    • Bring Dáil Éireann into the 21st Century - mandatory Social Media training for all members
    • Transparency in all Governmental and Civil Service departments
    • All schools to teach responsible internet use
    • Anti-spying measures introduced to all public and private sector internet data
    We propose that membership to Boards.ie be mandatory for all TD's Senators and elected representatives, as well as all departments of the civil service and that meaningful communication between the people and their servants be brought about to try and restore public faith in the government that serves them.
    For too long I've stood by and watched successive governments fail our country. We have attracted some of the biggest names in the international technology landscape to Ireland, but a fundamental lack of knowledge in how they operate costs us more jobs, more taxes into the economy and more innovation for the world over. Starting today, my campaign will aim to bring about a fairer, stronger and connected Ireland and Europe. We will no longer let our internet be held hostage by rogue "intelligence" agencies operating with impunity or by clueless ministers who wilfully ignore the best legal and expert advice in the country. We will make sure that those who watch the watchers will never have to fear a disgusting public display of scandal again.
    Tom "Devore" Murphy will be running in the Dublin constituency and if you live in this constituency, you can expect to hear from him or his team very soon.

Thank you all for your time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Your replies on this forum are pre-moderated, but please post your thoughts and messages of support and we'll approve them as the day goes on. We expect a personal statement from Tom around lunchtime today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

I hear he's just running to get a better shot at Merkel

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

This is a pretty cruel April Fools giving false hope of the idea of a politician with vision and integrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

While I wish him lots of success and think he can make some real, positive changes if given the opportunity, how will the following affect Boards rules regarding banning people etc?

A free and open internet for all
    Repealing the 2009 Defamation Act to once again allow free speech in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

This should actually happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ah now lads...........
    A bit too obvious........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I for one welcome our new OVorelord

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

With this said, Murphy's key issues will be:
    A free and open internet for all
    Dav wrote: »
    Your replies on this forum are pre-moderated,

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Two April 1st posts on one day, omergawsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

April Fools...... right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Dev for April Fools Taoiseach!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I think I would fly back to Ireland, gain residency rights and actually vote for this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'd vote for him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Long live the king!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I support every single issue mentioned 100%. Fair play agat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

You have my vote!

Was talking to Tom about this recently. He's very excited about his future as a politician. He's done so much for SSF and for mental health in Ireland that this was the natural progression. He'll get my vote.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I will stop at nothing,
    Say the right things,
    When electioneering I trust I can rely on your vote

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

Tom, best of luck with your run. You've always impressed me by your knowledge and ability to debate well on a range of topics.

If you have a moment, could you explain how you hope to accomplish things such as the Pulse idea when working out in Brussels?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The only problem is I can only vote for you once.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

What is this, some kind of joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I wish I could vote for this I believe in DeVore

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

DeVore wrote: »
    I will stop at nothing,
    Say the right things,

Your vote is mine, a valued and accurate view on all these key issues. Tom for Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

DeVore wrote: »
    I will stop at nothing,
    Say the right things,

I assume that you will stop at saying the things the people think they want to hear. Also you will now have every thing you typed as your history and judgement. So I think you may have meant "nothing will stop me" Good Luck, with you as possible future official. That is a future I can believe in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

Finally a reason to vote. Best of luck Dev!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Go get'em Tom. You'll be running the show within five years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I for one welcome our new alien overlord and look forward to the beginning of his 1000 year reign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I for one welcome our new alien overlord and wish him well in his 1000 year reign.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not sure about this - may have a bit of the Johnny Logan look but he's not getting my backing until I've heard what he's going to sing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Any reason April 1st was chosen!!??

Ahem...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement