Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Severe storm discussion 2 Oct

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I may be reading this all wrong but it looks like a shallow low is developing to the SSW of Ireland:

I see what you mean DE. I'm not sure either but might be just the movement of the clouds playing tricks on ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Actually, the 18Z FAX has a developing frontal wave centred around just south of the bottom of that blue line, moving northeastwards, so it's definitely not a comma. I think it's just part of the upper cloud pattern

xgibsy.jpg

Pinhole eye? :eek: ... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Thank ye Maq & Su, Yeah you are probably right about the higher clouds playing tricks on mine eyes.

What's a 'pinehole eye' I have never heard that term before?

What's a 'pinehole eye' I have never heard that term before?

Ah just me makin a joke again DE, sorry. :o It looked a bit like a small eye on that frame. During the hurricane season, tropial watchers looking at hurricane images are always keeping an eye out for a pinhole eye, a sign that a hurricane may be undergoing rapid intensification.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Got my power and internet back a while ago. It was an unreal storm, the sky turned as dark as duskish and the heavens opened. Had to attend livestock in the afternoon due to fears of flooding and an almighty shot like a gun went of about 500 yards away from us, next thing we saw was half the tree collapsing onto the road after being struck by lightning.

Half rattled from the bang we hastilty retreated indoors to wait for the shower to go. The next hour was spent cutting up the tree to get the road (Back bohereen) opened again.

Lightning is no joke and while it is nice to see and admire from safety when you are outside it is a different matter. This was the second time I came close to a lightning bolt when I was 11 in primary school a bolt struck about 12 to 15 feet away from us and blew the hoop off the basketball board!

Didn't get any pictures as I left my phone in the van and was too busy clearing branches from the tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Ah just me makin a joke again DE, sorry. :o

I knew it was a joke I just thought you said 'pinehole' rather than 'pinhole'. My mistake. :)

Having said that, I think Pinehole would make a great user name!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Stinicker wrote: »
    Got my power and internet back a while ago. It was an unreal storm, the sky turned as dark as duskish and the heavens opened...

Whereabouts were you? And what time! Cheers Bud!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Danno wrote: »
    Whereabouts were you? And what time! Cheers Bud!

I am in South East Kerry, it happened close to Kenmare Bay and was roughly some time between 12.30ish going on one. There had been a massive bout of lightning earlier in the morning around 9.30 - 10ish and it seemed to be cleared away, but came back again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Ah, so this must be the storm front I had the pleasure of driving under in Laois on Saturday afternoon. Never really seen anything like it in the flesh, only on TV. Actually looked fairly like the storm front that was pictured over that stadium in that other thread last week - but not quite as intense - a great big linear cleft between two banks of cloud snaking from horizon to horizon. After driving towards it for 20 miles, it happened to arrive where I was going just as I did. Torrential rain for about 10 minutes, then it brightened up. No thunder or lightening though, pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Still no pictures from this storm people?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

No storm at all around here..a bit of wind and rain but nothing out of the ordinary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Some aerial shots from the day. Points for guessing where.

02102010129.jpg

02102010130.jpg

02102010134.jpg

02102010137.jpg

02102010141.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tu2j2

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Some aerial shots from the day. Points for guessing where.

Shannon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

at an airport:cool:

so do i win;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

tu2j2 wrote: »
    Shannon ;)

bingo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

M.T, is there any chance that this area of cloud currently off the west coast might bring anything?

or is it more likely to be yet another wave of utter disappointment? :o

Just saw this now. I was not around over the weekend but my OH got caught in a torrential shower of hail with thunder and lightning just after 7.00pm on Sat evening (north west Clare). It seems that it would have come from what you outlined DE.

Advertisement