Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe storm discussion 2 Oct

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Some strikes along the Kerry coastline in the last hour:

http://www.meteox.nl/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=satradar

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Thanks for some interesting reports there. The first line we were tracking weakened after moving across Tipps, and a second cluster seemed to develop in roughly the same location as the first one and had roughly the same life cycle, if perhaps not as strong. Perhaps some news will surface about any other events with this cluster as some of the stronger radar echoes were around Mallow at the time that the storm report above was made. (from my look at a map, Mallow is about 50 miles northeast of where that report originated).

Meanwhile, radar now shows that the showery cells are expanding into more widespread but lighter-intensity rain so this alert is now considered to have expired totally, although some reports of heavy rain or lightning could continue from new cells developing in the southwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Cant understand given the radar colors of the showers today that we have no reports of thunder, in Galway around 3pm it got so dark I thought this is it but no just torrential rain and flooding.

Why would a thunderstorm not develop in the conditions today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Jean mentioned in this evenings forecast that there would be a continued risk for scattered thunderstorms this evening but would die out overnight.

M.T, is there any chance that this area of cloud currently off the west coast might bring anything?

129615.jpg

or is it more likely to be yet another wave of utter disappointment? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

18:45h now and I'm in Riverstick co cork on a hill looking south west. Some oninous dark clouds rolling in. I wish I was more educated in weather phenomenon to name the cloud types! It feels humid and still. Better top up the old generator for tonight just in case :) Looks like heavy rain in the distance to the SW. The clouds have a definate 'ridge' or 'border' running from South to north west.

EDIT: 19:00h heavy rain just started.

EDIT 02: 19:05h heavy rain stopped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

thankfully we missed the downpours over sw england. very intense
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

cool looking cloud coming over cork at the moment. heavy showers with it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

well that turned into nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

M.T, is there any chance that this area of cloud currently off the west coast might bring anything?

129615.jpg

or is it more likely to be yet another wave of utter disappointment? :o

I'd say there's as good a chance as any earlier today. The 18Z Valentia sounding just out shows a slightly more unstable setup than 12Z, with warm moisture advection at low levels and slight cooling at mid-upper levels. With some lift from the Kerry mountains, it could turn nice.

2010100218.03953.skewt.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    thankfully we missed the downpours over sw england. very intense
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

What do ye mean thankfully :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

I didn't notice this thread until now but there was some lightning and a few very heavy showers at around 1.30pm in south kilkenny close to the Waterford border. Was lovely clear fork lightening but I only saw three strikes!

The latest TAFs give PROB30 thunderstorms for Cork, Kerry, and Galway airports this side of midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

Well as Sunbabe08 above said.... Looks like all the blackstuff amounted to nothing. Nice tame evening near Kinsale now. Pity. :(.

Better luck elsewhere guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Su Campu wrote: »
    The latest TAFs give PROB30 thunderstorms for Cork, Kerry, and Galway airports this side of midnight.

Will the eastern half get it then the next side of midnight?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Going by the radar it should be raining here now, but not a drop in sight

I may be reading this all wrong but it looks like a shallow low is developing to the SSW of Ireland:

129631.jpg

seems to be heading for the SE of Ireland but again maybe I am seeing something that is not actually there. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Interesting to see where the weather warnings have been issued for across Europe for tonight and tomorrow.

http://www.meteoalarm.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Had some moderate showers this morning, more or less dry all afternoon here.

I may be reading this all wrong but it looks like a shallow low is developing to the SSW of Ireland:

attachment.php?attachmentid=129631&stc=1&d=1286051496

seems to be heading for the SE of Ireland but again maybe I am seeing something that is not actually there. :o
    I think that's a comma system, which will probably bring showers to the southeast later, but I think the chance of lightning is passing now as upper level warming is taking place, limiting deep convection. I think that system over Kerry and Limerick is as strong as it's going to get, no sferics from it so far and I'd say it'll stay that way.

We'll see what the KNMI classify that system to the south as in their 21Z Satrep

• Advertisement

I see what you mean DE. I'm not sure either but might be just the movement of the clouds playing tricks on ya.

Actually, the 18Z FAX has a developing frontal wave centred around just south of the bottom of that blue line, moving northeastwards, so it's definitely not a comma. I think it's just part of the upper cloud pattern

xgibsy.jpg

Pinhole eye? :eek: ... :p

Thank ye Maq & Su, Yeah you are probably right about the higher clouds playing tricks on mine eyes.

What's a 'pinehole eye' I have never heard that term before?

What's a 'pinehole eye' I have never heard that term before?

Ah just me makin a joke again DE, sorry. :o It looked a bit like a small eye on that frame. During the hurricane season, tropial watchers looking at hurricane images are always keeping an eye out for a pinhole eye, a sign that a hurricane may be undergoing rapid intensification.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Got my power and internet back a while ago. It was an unreal storm, the sky turned as dark as duskish and the heavens opened. Had to attend livestock in the afternoon due to fears of flooding and an almighty shot like a gun went of about 500 yards away from us, next thing we saw was half the tree collapsing onto the road after being struck by lightning.

Half rattled from the bang we hastilty retreated indoors to wait for the shower to go. The next hour was spent cutting up the tree to get the road (Back bohereen) opened again.

Lightning is no joke and while it is nice to see and admire from safety when you are outside it is a different matter. This was the second time I came close to a lightning bolt when I was 11 in primary school a bolt struck about 12 to 15 feet away from us and blew the hoop off the basketball board!

Didn't get any pictures as I left my phone in the van and was too busy clearing branches from the tree.

Ah just me makin a joke again DE, sorry. :o

I knew it was a joke I just thought you said 'pinehole' rather than 'pinhole'. My mistake. :)

Having said that, I think Pinehole would make a great user name!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Stinicker wrote: »
    Got my power and internet back a while ago. It was an unreal storm, the sky turned as dark as duskish and the heavens opened...

Whereabouts were you? And what time! Cheers Bud!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Danno wrote: »
    Whereabouts were you? And what time! Cheers Bud!

I am in South East Kerry, it happened close to Kenmare Bay and was roughly some time between 12.30ish going on one. There had been a massive bout of lightning earlier in the morning around 9.30 - 10ish and it seemed to be cleared away, but came back again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Ah, so this must be the storm front I had the pleasure of driving under in Laois on Saturday afternoon. Never really seen anything like it in the flesh, only on TV. Actually looked fairly like the storm front that was pictured over that stadium in that other thread last week - but not quite as intense - a great big linear cleft between two banks of cloud snaking from horizon to horizon. After driving towards it for 20 miles, it happened to arrive where I was going just as I did. Torrential rain for about 10 minutes, then it brightened up. No thunder or lightening though, pity.

Advertisement