Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gin-the most depressing alcoholic drink?

• 01-05-2019 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KM792

Fair to say I've now sampled enough of it to agree it is the most depressing drink known to man.
    Obviously alcohol in general is a depressant,but having drank wine,cider,beer,vodka etc and experiencing a wide range of hangovers,I find gin to be the worst.Almost like a sadness that lingers for a few days...

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Gin makes me cry, tequila makes me a party animal, whiskey makes me punch people

All a myth OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Only the first post of the thread necessary. Says it all.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057798937

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Alcohol is a CNS depressant, which doesn't mean what many confuse it as meaning - it slows down brain and spinal cord activity as opposed to necessarily depressing mood. Depressed mood can arise as a result of alcohol, but alcohol isn't inherently a "mood lowering agent" which is what many interpret the "alcohol is a depressant" thing as meaning.

Regarding gin, I don't know the constituents or the science of any of them, but it's easily possible that one or more of the additives used to flavour it, or something inherent to juniper berries, does indeed have an effect on mood which other spirits don't have. It could also be (and in my view is possibly more likely) that it's something in the tonic which does this - quinine has a large array of listed adverse effects when used medically, and although mood isn't one of them, things such as headaches, nausea, and altering one's blood cell profile are, which could very much result in one's mood taking a nosedive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

It doesn't suit some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

OP you reminded me I haven't had a gin in ages - Now I wouldn't really go for the new craze in gin and botanicals (big glasses, blueberries etc etc) but a couple of gin & tonics with ice and lemon are lovely on a summers evening. I don't find they make me sad although any drink could do that depending on the level of hangover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Aul ones drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Gin makes me cry, tequila makes me a party animal, whiskey makes me punch people

All a myth OP

So it's not the Brandy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

That’s what I thought for years and was surprised when this new trend took off.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Love a nice gin. Cry a river when I drink vodka.

Too much of anything and I'm in tears though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world… I walk into this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It never had a depressing affect on me.

The ethanol is the depressant and the only difference, in the affect on mood, between various drinks is the alcohol content.

Grand refreshing drink gin and tonic at the end of the night after 10 or 12 pints of stout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,825 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When ever I think of Gin I think of Audrey.
    Audrey%2BRoberts.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Gin + san pellegrino, Happy times.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Loved gin from when I first had it at 16 �� I would not pay a tenner for a glass of it though. Can’t beat an ice cold gin & tonic with a fat wedge of lime. <3

Sambuca, no.... I’m still not talking to her after I ended up missing Millennium Eve after a few too many shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,642 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Much prefer a 72% Swiss La Bleue absinthe with iced spring water from a fountain or a brouiller packed with ice too, there ain't nothing quite like it. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Sambuca, no.... I’m still not talking to her after I ended up missing Millennium Eve after a few too many shots.

Sure you can always enjoy the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I think it was Dylan Moran who described gin as "not so much a drink as a mascara thinner".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its a bullshyte myth. All alcohol is a depressive. The higher concentration you drink of it at a low ebb of the day or without food etc, the more depressed you will get.

Gin is just vodka (grain spirits) with added infusions of natural botanicals. Obviously juniper is the dominant flavour, but theres nothing in that or any of the other common infusions in gin that worsen its depressive effect over other strong grain spirits.

The bad name gin has (mothers ruin) goes back to when it was first invented. Cheap, home made, unrefined and unregulated grain spirits in the lower impoverished classes used to decimate people. Gin began as an exercise to make these spirits at least taste better, but if those people could have afforded good scotch or wine then those drinks would have ruined just as many families.

And so like all grog, gin is enjoyable up to a point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

When ever I think of Gin I think of Audrey.
    I'm the same, except with this one:

article-2604600-1D1E1D7800000578-91_634x500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,555 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The price of it can be pretty depressing...

Under 13 quid in Lidl and still better than Cork Dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭GBX

No, think it's a lovely heart warming drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,812 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Used to be called Mothers Ruin way back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

giphy.gif

Wetherspoons in Dun Laoghaire occasionally have a tea-flavoured gin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I find it cheeky that any UK people ever consider Irish to be drunks.

They don't know their own history, esp the London gin epidemic as characterised in Hogarth's famous engraving Gin Lane:
    22737559_max.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wetherspoons in Dun Laoghaire occasionally have a tea-flavoured gin :D

You can thank the hipsterisation of everything for that. Fcuking beardies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Gin and tonic is the happiest drink! Tastes of celebration and sparkle.
    You're all just doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Water in the 1700's was full of bacteria gin and beer were safer options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

You can thank the hipsterisation of everything for that. Fcuking beardies.

You're not pinning this one on the beards, smooth-skin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

topper75 wrote: »
    I find it cheeky that any UK people ever consider Irish to be drunks.

They don't know their own history, esp the London gin epidemic as characterised in Hogarth's famous engraving Gin Lane:
    22737559_max.jpg

To be fair that could just as easily be entitled "Dublin City Centre on St.Patrick's Day"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Vodka makes me stupid drunk/giddy.
    Beer just makes me drunk.
    Morgans spiced rums makes me angry and a downright cúnt.
    Gin makes me sad/tearful so I avoid it at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

To be fair that could just as easily be entitled "Dublin City Centre on St.Patrick's Day"

That particular scene portrayed in the pic, perhaps; the overall problem and its scale, no not so. By 1743, England was drinking 2.2 gallons (10 litres) of gin per person per year.

But eh... drunken paddies innit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭chrissb8

mikemac2 wrote: »

All a myth OP

It isn't. If you digest different tyoes of food differently than you digest different types of alcohol differently. Bit ridiculous to think that it's all the same. Has the same effect, sure but each in a varied way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'm partial to a Martini.

Definitely not with vodka and certainly never shaken.

Fcuk you James Bond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Going by the selection available now, feels like we're in another Gin Craze, and the last one didn't go well.

In 1736, the Middlesex Magistrates complained:

It is with the deepest concern your committee observe the strong Inclination of the inferior Sort of People to these destructive Liquors, and how surprisingly this Infection has spread within these few Years … it is scarce possible for Persons in low Life to go anywhere or to be anywhere, without being drawn in to taste, and, by Degrees, to like and approve of this pernicious Liquor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gin_Craze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Any time I've drank gin, I turn into a weeping, 45 year old divorcee, mother of 5. Sobbing into a glass, filling it with my tears as quickly as I can drink it.

Rum makes me blank out, but it's tasty as. Morgan's not so much, that fake vanilla makes me heave.

Tequila is party time, but that's because I'm knocking back strong alcohol, usually in a party atmosphere.

It's mostly due to the pace of consumption, and the underlying mood though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

chrissb8 wrote: »
    It isn't. If you digest different tyoes of food differently than you digest different types of alcohol differently. Bit ridiculous to think that it's all the same. Has the same effect, sure but each in a varied way.

Maybe if you were digesting different types of alcohol. But you arent. Its all the same type of alcohol. Thats why the effect of all alcoholic drinks are the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Bull****,

I dont really have a drink that makes me get angry or sad, if there was to be one it might, just might be whiskey

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

I think of Shane McGowan when I see Gin ... but yeah awful depressing drink.
    Horrible on it's own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Any time I've drank gin, I turn into a weeping, 45 year old divorcee, mother of 5. Sobbing into a glass, filling it with my tears as quickly as I can drink it.

Your not supposed to drink the whole bottle in one sitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

I think of Shane McGowan when I see Gin ... but yeah awful depressing drink.
    Horrible on it's own.

Cork Dry Gin is awful sh1te. I could happily keep a full bottle of gin in my cupboard for a year without drinking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,812 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I never found one particular type of drink more or less mood altering in either direction. If you go out in an aggressive, pissy, somber, upbeat or even euphoric mood, alcohol can seem to increase the levels of those emotions.

Can be different for everyone. Like my circle of friends on a heavyish night out. Nobody ever aggressive or troublesome but some become more animated, more schoolboyish, more funny..some nights that’s pints, weekends can be a couple of chasers..whisky, jagers, cocktails... whatever,

• Registered Users Posts: 10 matiasbloom

Strumms wrote: »
    I never found one particular type of drink more or less mood altering in either direction. If you go out in an aggressive, pissy, somber, upbeat or even euphoric mood, alcohol can seem to increase the levels of those emotions.

Can be different for everyone. Like my circle of friends on a heavyish night out. Nobody ever aggressive or troublesome but some become more animated, more schoolboyish, more funny..some nights that’s pints, weekends can be a couple of chasers..whisky, jagers, cocktails... whatever,

absolutely agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

topper75 wrote: »
    That particular scene portrayed in the pic, perhaps; the overall problem and its scale, no not so. By 1743, England was drinking 2.2 gallons (10 litres) of gin per person per year.

But eh... drunken paddies innit.

The drunken Irish stereotype in English culture seems to have predated that by quite a bit. Even Shakespeare wrote in "humourous" references to the stereotype in his plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭Tefral

I think that saying comes from the fact it was always your old rattly aunt at family gatherings that had the gin and tonic.

Personally I like a good fruity Gin and it definitely puts me in a good mood ha.

Advertisement