Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal People [BBC - RTE] - [**SPOILERS**]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I enjoyed the book and have finished the series there now.

I thought it was very well written, acted, directed etc. Fair play to all involved. Looks like it's getting some great feed back.
    It's nice to watch things set in Ireland, especially when the quality of acting / direction and cinematography is so high.

(might be showing my ignorance but we don't get many well produced drama series set in ireland really?)

Dublin Murders, which went out a few months ago, was high quality......very stylish

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭gp1990

probably that a dick is shown .

Binged the 12 eps , very enjoyable and emotional , great soundtrack .

You catch a bit of a glimpse of her own lady bits at one stage too, when she's doing the nude photoshoot :pac:

Just finished re-watching some episodes and not to cock-tease (haw haw) those that haven't seen it (there won't be many probably with all the time on our hands :p ) but I honestly think the last one is some of the most powerful television I've actually seen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

gp1990 wrote: »
    You catch a bit of a glimpse of her own lady bits at one stage too, when she's doing the nude photoshoot :pac:

Just finished re-watching some episodes and not to cock-tease (haw haw) those that haven't seen it (there won't be many probably with all the time on our hands :p ) but I honestly think the last one is some of the most powerful television I've actually seen

yep you see Lady bits more often than cocks though , think that why Joes listeners are having mickey fits :D

I agree with you it is an extremely powerful production .

yep you see Lady bits more often than cocks though

I mean the 'downstairs' part in this instance :D

Don't think there's an episode you don't see her tits :p

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

satguy wrote: »
    Watched all 12 episodes last night. (28 min per Ep)

It's a wee bit racy, but I hung in there, and enjoyed the story.

The bit in Sweden might have been left out, But for the most, it rolled along nicely.

Hey where can you get all the episodes?? I watched the 2 on tv on Tuesday night but can’t find the while serious anywhere!

• Advertisement

One thing I found funny in the first episode was the scene with her brother throwing her out of his car in the rain to collect his friends

Not his actions, but more so the fact it was extremely unlikely he'd ever offer to give her any sort of lift in the first place given he was a complete arsehole who basically disowned her!

They probably threw the scene in to emphasise his nastiness a bit more and to further showcase her negative relationship with teachers but in all likelihood wouldn't Connell likely bring her in each morning after dropping off his mom? Would've added an extra avenue to blossom their relationship also!

I know its staying true to the book, but personally I would have liked a bit more 'will they won't they' in the early episodes (as opposed to some of the more pointless stuff in later episodes) where he wrestles more with his conscience and guilt, to really illustrate the 'forbidden' element of the relationship, but its only a minor personal preference

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

Lizardlegz wrote: »
    Hey where can you get all the episodes?? I watched the 2 on tv on Tuesday night but can’t find the while serious anywhere!

BBC iPlayer. You'll need a VPN though.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Tork wrote: »

Agh ok thanks. My oH says BBC has blocked the VPN we have!

Are there any other apps or channels you can watch it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,356 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is it all on RTE Player yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

gp1990 wrote: »
    One thing I found funny in the first episode was the scene with her brother throwing her out of his car in the rain to collect his friends

Not his actions, but more so the fact it was extremely unlikely he'd ever offer to give her any sort of lift in the first place given he was a complete arsehole who basically disowned her!

He probably did it because their mother told him to. That was when she was still playing at being a mother to her.
    but in all likelihood wouldn't Connell likely bring her in each morning after dropping off his mom? Would've added an extra avenue to blossom their relationship also!

There's no way Connell would've ever brought her to school. I doubt Marianne's dreadful mother would've agreed to it (the son of her cleaner :eek: - perish the thought) and Connell wouldn't have wanted to either. Imagine the slagging he'd have got from his mates if he started bringing her to school with him? It was only after they went on to Trinity College that he was happy to be seen out in public with her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

His mam only did a few hours in the afternoons and not every day if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Strazdas wrote: »
    Dublin Murders, which went out a few months ago, was high quality......very stylish

I watched that, good production but the story and some of the acting was so poor IMO. All I could think was, wow True Detective Season One was so well done ha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,048 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Is it a UK vpn we need?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

to paraphrase Fr Ted - is it a nudey type of thing? do you see the lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

I've read the book since watching the series. The experience of being from a rural area in a Dublin college hit me in the gut! Brought back the realisation of the big, big gap in wealth that I hadn't been aware of before I went to college. I went to college with a scholarship because of my financial background and my exam results. I'll never forget my heart dropping into my boots when I told a very well off friend about it and they said "and do you mind people here knowing". Took me years to be able to feel proud of it again.

He probably did it because their mother told him to. That was when she was still playing at being a mother to her.

There's no way Connell would've ever brought her to school. I doubt Marianne's dreadful mother would've agreed to it (the son of her cleaner :eek: - perish the thought) and Connell wouldn't have wanted to either. Imagine the slagging he'd have got from his mates if he started bringing her to school with him? It was only after they went on to Trinity College that he was happy to be seen out in public with her.

That's true but its actually very common in rural areas - at least where I'm from - for students who are neighbours, or whose parents are friendly, to share lifts to school even if the students themselves barely know each other, especially when buses mightn't collect from certain areas

In their instance I don't think it'd be seen as a big deal given the employment relationship between their mothers (and its common knowledge C & M interact outside school as a result)

That said I guess it'd fit into his overall insecurities to refuse to be seen with her outside school as much as possible, even if its likely very few would care or notice.

The brother is the definition of an abusive, odious so-and-so though, I just find it far more realistic he'd drop her off basically at the gate of the house and make her walk the rest of the way :(

Musefan wrote: »
    I've read the book since watching the series. The experience of being from a rural area in a Dublin college hit me in the gut! Brought back the realisation of the big, big gap in wealth that I hadn't been aware of before I went to college. I went to college with a scholarship because of my financial background and my exam results. I'll never forget my heart dropping into my boots when I told a very well off friend about it and they said "and do you mind people here knowing". Took me years to be able to feel proud of it again.

I think the series is relatable to so many in so many ways

I remember myself being big into music at school and got chatting to one guy in my class one day (who would have been of the 'teacher's pet' mold, I was big into playing sport) who shared the same obscure tastes I did. We actually ended up going to a few concerts together

Of course I told no-one, this guy would generally have been thought of as a bit different, but I got to know him on a level no-one else did and looking back I absolutely cringe at being so desperate to be 'cool' as to essentially hide my friendship from him. It was much more of a friendship than half the shallow associations I had built up outside of that

I suspect many have similar experiences from their teenage years.

That's why as a teenager Connell's behaviour is perfectly typical, but obviously embarrassing and misguided when looking at it from the eyes of a grown adult

Don't even get me started on the drama that used to arise around the Debs every year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Absolutely, it shows how belonging is such a massive theme at any stage of life, but especially in teenage years, and many are so desperate to hold onto it that they won't jeopardise it.

A second part that really got me was the therapy session. I work in that field myself and found myself thinking back to being a therapist in training, sitting across from young people who were pretty much my own age with all that pain of college isolation that Connall was feeling, and feeling it all so acutely myself too. As a therapist, I've never seen such an accurate depiction of what it means to just become undone in a therapy session, both from the point of view of a therapist and of a client.

siblers wrote: »
    Tis good but when I was in school and if we had a girl as good looking as Mariane, every lad would be after her and no one would bother hiding it.
    I don't think it's anything to do with her looks. Purely that she's not part of the cool crowd, and actively talks down to them and even the teachers. So much so that she's almost "the enemy".
    siblers wrote: »
    Yeah but if someone is as attractive as she is, I don't think that social standing would come into it, especially in a rural school in Sligo

Shes an outsider more due to the fact she is free spirited and she stands her ground. The others just want to blend in and be liked among the other teens. That is the only thing that matters to many teenagers. Keeping the head down and blending in. Being able to make others laugh the odd time, etc.

Teenagers while rebellious, ironically set certain boundaries of conformity for themselves and if you are an independent thinker in any way, you are almost committing social suicide. Also there is the element of women being bitches to each other due to jealously. They spread a rumour or two or cut the back of the newly identified 'enemy' and it becomes highly contagious in no time. The other peers, both lads and girls are pressured and gaslighted into believing that her with the big notions is the enemy.

There is an element of a class barrier too. 'Stuck up cow', etc.

The one interesting thing about Marianne, is for all her strong will, she is quite self-depricating when it comes to trying to seduce Connall and reguarly acknowledges her own 'limitations' throughout the seduction process. 'no one needs to know' etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

Would love to binge watch the whole series...to those who use the bbc iplayer, do you have to pay for a vpn? Or is there a free hack?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Would love to binge watch the whole series...to those who use the bbc iplayer, do you have to pay for a vpn? Or is there a free hack?

its on Hulu platform too streaming and then there's the usual other methods of getting it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Use a free trial vpn or smart dns
    Google is your friend

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The fella playing Connell is extremely well cast. His persona is just exactly how I imagined when I read the book.

Marianna is not bad either but I think her lines havnt been great. In the book she had a lot of funny/witty opinions and quick retorts to the bullies but often she just comes off as aggressive and very negative , like when she attacked that teacher in ep 1, which is not the impression I really got from her in the book. Also in the book I think she put up a believable independent/confident facade that her peers believed and then you only learn its not real once connell gets to know her but in the show she just seems very obviously extremely insecure and broken from the get go

Overall I am enjoying it but I was hoping for a bit more humour, the funny introspective thoughts of the narration in the book was what made it stand out and I guess its hard to recreate on screen. The chemistry between the leads is very believable though and I suppose it is what will make or break this show so thats probably why its a decent watch

And a bit of a nit pick but seeing as somebody else mentioned, I think they should have picked a less attractive girl for the lead. In the book it was interesting dynamic because he was a popular guy who fell head over heels for this apparently plain/unremarkable looking girl . But in the show its just strange that this girl who looks like a model is getting called ugly in the hallways, just comes off as silly in those scenes and youre supposed to believe he is one of the only people who would be attracted to her

• Registered Users Posts: 28,515 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Really looking forward to this, loved the book. Was surprised when I read it was 12 episodes. i think they will really big up the drama in it. Great that it is jointly backed by Hulu and the BBC looks good production value.

Were RTE involved in the production? BBC3 branding even on the RTE Player is a bit unusual.
    Basq wrote: »
    That's nothing new.. most of the Dawson's Creek cast were in their late 20's playing 16 year olds.
    And the Inbetweeners lads were well into their 20s running round in school uniform. It kinda spoiled it for me when I read some of them were in the Cambridge Footlights society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Normal People is a quality production. Feels authentic in its Irishness. Evocative of relationships many of us would have had in our youth. Has a real depth to it. Lenny knows what he is doing.

Your man from it came across very well on the Late Late.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,201 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Were RTE involved in the production? BBC3 branding even on the RTE Player is a bit unusual.

And the Inbetweeners lads were well into their 20s running round in school uniform. It kinda spoiled it for me when I read some of them were in the Cambridge Footlights society.
    Nope it's bbc and hulu who produced it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,048 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

wakka12 wrote: »
    The fella playing Connell is extremely well cast. His persona is just exactly how I imagined when I read the book.

Marianna is not bad either but I think her lines havnt been great. In the book she had a lot of funny/witty opinions and quick retorts to the bullies but often she just comes off as aggressive and very negative , like when she attacked that teacher in ep 1, which is not the impression I really got from her in the book. Also in the book I think she put up a believable independent/confident facade that her peers believed and then you only learn its not real once connell gets to know her but in the show she just seems very obviously extremely insecure and broken from the get go

Overall I am enjoying it but I was hoping for a bit more humour, the funny introspective thoughts of the narration in the book was what made it stand out and I guess its hard to recreate on screen. The chemistry between the leads is very believable though and I suppose it is what will make or break this show so thats probably why its a decent watch

And a bit of a nit pick but seeing as somebody else mentioned, I think they should have picked a less attractive girl for the lead. In the book it was interesting dynamic because he was a popular guy who fell head over heels for this apparently plain/unremarkable looking girl . But in the show its just strange that this girl who looks like a model is getting called ugly in the hallways, just comes off as silly in those scenes and youre supposed to believe he is one of the only people who would be attracted to her

I don't agree about the less attractive girl.
    Here's why:
    When you are a girl of 18, a lot of us are lead to believe that you are not beautiful if you are not blonde, don't wear the current fashion, don't hang around with other 'beautiful' people etc.
    That was certainly the case when I was 18.
    Anyone who is a natural beauty at that age often flies under the radar.
    I'd use the analogy of the catwalk model (Marianne) v the glamour model (what kids of 18 perceive as beautiful).

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

wakka12 wrote: »

The girl is nothing but unattractive? I don’t see anything sexy in her at all. She wouldn’t be one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I feel like this was a tale of two parts - the first half the more traditional tale of boy-meets-girl, boy-loses-girl, boy-gets-girl back again, before the second half gets a lot darker in tone.

Really enjoyed it, I read the book today and one complements the other very well - which wasnt what either set out to do obviously, but one fills in the gaps of the other nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The girl is nothing but unattractive? I don’t see anything sexy in her at all. She wouldn’t be one for me.

Well shes hardly ugly is she? I'm not into women but shes clearly a decent looking girl, she looks like the spit of your one from 50 shades of grey.

I'm starting to enjoy this more now, after it left the Sligo setting. I feel like it is becoming more like the book now in terms of tone and Marianne's character is acting more like how I imagined her to be, appearing confident and independent but actually being very vulnerable. I was shocked to hear she is English her Irish accent is extremely convincing! Never would have guessed she wasnt Irish

Advertisement