Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol v diesel cars

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Headshot wrote: »
    Hi all.

I'm thinking of getting a new car but im tempted to go down petrol as the car will be cheaper but i'm wondering is it a false economy as i do a lot of mileage

I do 510km a week so is getting petrol a waste of time and if so how much extra roughly a week would petrol cost me extra?

Well if you take diesel at 1.20 a litre and petrol at 1.30 and use sensible fuel efficiencies like 5 or 6 l/100km for diesel on motorway and 6 or 7 for petrol relative to a specific vehicle which you can look up on sites like honest John a general annual comparison is pretty easy to calculate.

So if you do 20,000km a year then divide by 100. So 200 x 5. 5l/100km x 1.2 = 1320 EU a year for diesel. Or 1690 for petrol at 6.5l/100km. So 370 extra a year for petrol which you multiply across your predicted ownership time. So if you intend to keep for 5 years that's 1850 extra in fuel.

As you can see it's not a huge difference which is why hybrids offer no real cost benefit. Vehicle capital cost is the biggest thing you pay as well as interest on that which most of us borrow. On a 25k car the extra in fuel over 5 years above is just 7% of the total car cost which decreases once tax, insurance, parking, tolls and servicing and repairs are added in.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,848 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I hope I'm not deviating to much for my original question but now about 510km a week on a Hybrid petrol?

Just curious to know is it a very bad idea economy wise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I hope I'm not deviating to much for my original question but now about 510km a week on a Hybrid petrol?

That's 100km a day. What type of driving is it? city? open road? etc

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    That's 100km a day. What type of driving is it? city? open road? etc

Majority is country road. Unfortunately i'm only on the motor way 15 mins and after that it's all primary roads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

You'll probably get about 5.4L/100km, depending on the hybrid.

• Advertisement

mp3guy wrote: »
    You'll probably get about 5.4L/100km, depending on the hybrid.

not different to my current diesel then

I'm currently looking at the Rav4 at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

not different to my current diesel then

I'm currently looking at the Rav4 at the moment

New or old model?

New Model Rav4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

New Model Rav4

You'll probably only get around 6.7L/100KM in that hybrid, quite a big car and engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,371 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

For that type of driving (assuming you dont want/need a full EV) a diesel is better than petrol or hybrid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

mp3guy wrote: »
    You'll probably only get around 6.7L/100KM in that hybrid, quite a big car and engine.

This isn't aimed at the op but I can't help point out the contradiction of wanting a large engined suv which is both inefficient due to shape and size and has in this case a large engine and is expensive and then worrying about an extra 20 quid of fuel a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

I have a Lexus is300h, and I find it most economical on primary roads at about 90-100kmh. Get 50mpg at those speeds.

Advertisement