Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol v diesel cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,386 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The op said xc 40, that's 40k, not a chance I'd be spending that on buying a petrol or diesel....

Yes if your budget is 20k or thereabouts, you're not going to throw on 15 k to go electric. Bit if your budget is already electric price range , going petrol or diesel is madness in my opinion... throwing on 60 euro a week on fuel , more servicing and way more to go wrong....

At least the XC40 is a nice car, the petrol or electric Kona is still a 20k car in terms of fit and finish and market segment.
    Not arguing with you in terms of the benefits if electric, but the costs per kWh of producing a battery have dropped dramatically in the past 5 years, but some manufacturers are limiting demand deliberately by charging crazy prices, Kona is a case in point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

The op said xc 40, that's 40k, not a chance I'd be spending that on buying a petrol or diesel....

Yes if your budget is 20k or thereabouts, you're not going to throw on 15 k to go electric. Bit if your budget is already electric price range , going petrol or diesel is madness in my opinion... throwing on 60 euro a week on fuel , more servicing and way more to go wrong....

When you spec a Tesla they go through the trouble of providing an estimate of this savings calculation for you on the webpage.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    At least the XC40 is a nice car, the petrol or electric Kona is still a 20k car in terms of fit and finish and market segment,

Whatever about the finish of the Kona, the electric range/performance is not that of a 20k car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Electricity as a fuel is virtually free compared to petrol or diesel... workplace charging often free. Put in a night meter at home and its what? 9c kwh?

You have to factor in Vat and ground rent and PSO levies which puts it closer to 25cent ,so
    7.4 kw x 8 hours, assuming electric car owners charge 5 days a week I'm not seeing any saving over diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Look at the likes of this, stunning cars ... what would they he here ? 50k ?

https://www.polestar.com/uk/polestar-2/

https://www.irishnews.com/lifestyle/motorsdrive/2020/06/07/news/safety-first-as-polestar-2-edges-closer-to-euro-launch-1923475/

290 mile range, over 400bhp , 0-100 in 4.7 they represent excellent value for money if you plan Is to blow 40-50k on some petrol or diesel with the acceleration of a push bike in comparison

• Advertisement

mp3guy wrote: »
    Whatever about the finish of the Kona, the electric range/performance is not that of a 20k car.

It's a 20 k car with a bad grill, electric motor isn't worth a premium over Petrol. If you want electric cars to sell they have to be in the same price range, no ones going to step down from a n A4 to an i20 with big wheels

Look at the likes of this, stunning cars ... what would they he here ? 50k ?

https://www.polestar.com/uk/polestar-2/

Closer to 75k for what looks like a Peugeot 508

Yes but you’re paying an extra €25k for that. State (I.e taxpayers) covering €5k of that and also not charging VRT - as well as employees (quite legally) dodging BIK.

You have to factor in Vat and ground rent and PSO levies which puts it closer to 25cent ,so
    7.4 kw x 8 hours, assuming electric car owners charge 5 days a week I'm not seeing any saving over diesel.

Not true, just work it out, even with worst case rural rates including VAT. Day/night standing charge is only about €60 extra per year, the PSO is unchanged. You can easily get an 8.5c night rate from most providers. Charging 7.4 kw every night for 8 hours is a lot of energy, call it 50kw a day, which in an efficient EV is probably around 300km. So for a year of that five days a week it's 52x5x300 = 78,000km. Efficient diesel you'll probably get 5l/100km, so 3,900 litres of diesel is around €4,500 at €1.15/l.

The electricity would cost you 0.085*7.4*8*52*5 = €1,300, plus €60 increase standing charge, that's €1,360. Less than a third of the price. Plus you'll probably make savings running other stuff on night rate too (dishwashers, washing machine), > €3,000 a year saved. Drive less? Save less, but still save.
    It's a 20 k car with a bad grill, electric motor isn't worth a premium over Petrol. If you want electric cars to sell they have to be in the same price range, no ones going to step down from a n A4 to an i20 with big wheels

I love the grill. Don't want an A4 personally.

Not true, just work it out, even with worst case rural rates including VAT. Day/night standing charge is only about €60 extra per year, the PSO is unchanged. You can easily get an 8.5c night rate from most providers. Charging 7.4 kw every night for 8 hours is a lot of energy, call it 50kw a day, which in an efficient EV is probably around 300km. So for a year of that five days a week it's 52x5x300 = 78,000km. Efficient diesel you'll probably get 5l/100km, so 3,900 litres of diesel is around €4,500 at €1.15/l.

The electricity would cost you 0.085*7.4*8*52*5 = €1,300, plus €60 increase standing charge, that's €1,360. Less than a third of the price. Plus you'll probably make savings running other stuff on night rate too (dishwashers, washing machine), > €3,000 a year saved. Drive less? Save less, but still save.

I love the grill. Don't want an A4 personally.

You are trying to sell asupermini at a large saloon price, I used the A4 as it costs roughly the same, could have used a Tiguan or a crew cab Hilux to put things in perspective.

• Advertisement

You are trying to sell asupermini at a large saloon price, I used the A4 as it costs roughly the same, could have used a Tiguan or a crew cab Hilux to put things in perspective.

I'm not selling anything, just pointing out people have different preferences for cars and value various attributes differently.

You would have loved this €30k car from back in the day
    43-D1-F10-A-A3-D8-44-E8-9-E16-F0-E18-F5-B135-F.jpg

Absolute perfection :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I think my push mower has bigger wheels than that yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

As far as the electric kona is concerned i know someone who has a brand new one says the claimed range is absolute bull**** and regrets getting one and is looking to get rid in the very near future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Philb76 wrote: »
    As far as the electric kona is concerned i know someone who has a brand new one says the claimed range is absolute bull**** and regrets getting one and is looking to get rid in the very near future

the internet is full of website and reviews which tell the real range. If your going out to pay 40k and you don’t do research then you are an idiot

Nothing wrong with the car....

Where are you buying your electricity from? If your paying that your electricity company is absolutely fleecing you

Electric cars = 0% BIK
    Happy days.....

Sounds like manufacturer MPG for ICE cars tbh. Search online for any EV and you'll find some people getting worse than manufacturer range and others getting better. Nothing new or unique to any car really.

Sounds like manufacturer MPG for ICE cars tbh. Search online for any EV and you'll find some people getting worse than manufacturer range and others getting better. Nothing new or unique to any car really.

He knew the claimed range would be off by a bit just not that much getting around 190km driving it very easy

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Electric cars = 0% BIK
    Happy days.....

Well that's the end of that argument then

He knew the claimed range would be off by a bit just not that much getting around 190km driving it very easy

I'd love to know more details. Sounds like a 39kW model. Surely he can go to the dealer? Winter test here https://youtu.be/MN2cjKhkCqg, 90kmh 330km, 120kmh 250km at less than -10c.

190 is less than half the quoted range, and if that's in Ireland's climate the last few months, not overloading/towing/roof rack there's something fishy.

I'd love to know more details. Sounds like a 39kW model. Surely he can go to the dealer? Winter test here https://youtu.be/MN2cjKhkCqg, 90kmh 330km, 120kmh 250km at less than -10c.

190 is less than half the quoted range, and if that's in Ireland's climate the last few months, not overloading/towing/roof rack there's something fishy.

That's wot he's saying to be honest don't know which variant he has maybe someone on the forum has one who might be able to give their real world experience

That's wot he's saying to be honest don't know which variant he has maybe someone on the forum has one who might be able to give their real world experience

Well he is talking s**t.

I have a 36kWh battery and I can get 190km no problem in it. He has nearly double the battery. Is he charging the car? or leaving half the battery empty

I was right the first time, he is an idiot

Did they bring out the 39kWh Kona yet? I thought they only brought out the eNiro in 39kWh battery?

I think a few porkies are been told somewhere along the line

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

walshtipp wrote: »
    In my opinion diesel is still the best high mileage option.
    As for hybrids, their efficiency depends on type of driving. They are brilliant around town but on the motorway they are not all that efficient.

A3 Audi 1.4 TFSI is quick with 150bhp and I get 60+ mpg on motorway, maybe 25 - 40 around the city... not sure if its a hybrid though, point is petrol can be very good on motorway

Captcha wrote: »
    A3 Audi 1.4 TFSI is quick with 150bhp and I get 60+ mpg on motorway, maybe 25 - 40 around the city... not sure if its a hybrid though, point is petrol can be very good on motorway

That's a straight petrol, they do have a PHEV version of the A3 but weight is the issue, carrying around a large battery plus additional engine means you need to buy for your requirements. If your doing loads of motorway driving every day is doesn't make sense to be dragging around a petrol engine, fuel plus an electric motor plus battery.

Well he is talking s**t.

I have a 36kWh battery and I can get 190km no problem in it. He has nearly double the battery. Is he charging the car? or leaving half the battery empty

I was right the first time, he is an idiot

Yeah your right hes a lying idiot who doesn't know how to charge his own electric car

Where are you buying your electricity from? If your paying that your electricity company is absolutely fleecing you

I've been on to them, ordinary sized house, all appliances less than 3 years old, LED bulbs in all the light sockets, rarely use the oil heating, back boiler in stove, Bill averages 275-300 every 2 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

can't think of any car that size for 20 k bar a dacia duster?

Advertisement