Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petrol v diesel cars

• 14-07-2020 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,630 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm thinking of getting a new car but im tempted to go down petrol as the car will be cheaper but i'm wondering is it a false economy as i do a lot of mileage

I do 510km a week so is getting petrol a waste of time and if so how much extra roughly a week would petrol cost me extra?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Well considering older diesel cars are being banned in various cities across Europe I wouldn't have thought that would be your best option. I don't think it's likely to impact you if it's a brand new car since it will likely be reasonably decent in terms of emissions; but something to keep in mind especially if you're not going brand new.

Diesel does tend to be cheaper if you're running a vehicle for multiple years with consistent high mileage; I'm not sure precisely by how much these days.

I also believe modern petrol hybrids will give better fuel economy than diesel; not sure about longevity or long-term cost when compared to diesel though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,630 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Thanks Ronivek.

Yes it will be new, currently looking at a Volvo XC40

I suppose another thing to factor is I would suspect the Greens want to see the Diesel prices increase and we may not see any differences between diesel and petrol soon enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭walshtipp

In my opinion diesel is still the best high mileage option.
    As for hybrids, their efficiency depends on type of driving. They are brilliant around town but on the motorway they are not all that efficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Problems with diesels especially the DPF can be costly to fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Budget, car type etc.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Diesel!!

Cheaper fuel and lasts longer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Headshot wrote: »
    Thanks Ronivek.

Yes it will be new, currently looking at a Volvo XC40

I suppose another thing to factor is I would suspect the Greens want to see the Diesel prices increase and we may not see any differences between diesel and petrol soon enough

Another aspect is the whole Covid-19 nonsense. Diesel engines in general don't take well to long periods off the road or even long periods of low mileage local driving. The particulate filter in particular can become clogged and they're expensive to replace.

Anecdotally I've had problems with 2/3 of our diesels due to the lockdown enforced low mileage; thankfully the particulate filter in one case cleared up after some motorway driving. The other car required an engine tear-down for a blocked valve; again seemingly related to low mileage and being off the road.

As to the price of diesel and any changes to the yearly road tax that's also a potential issue; and from the Programme for Government they're talking about 'phasing out' petrol and diesel entirely from 2030:
    We will:
    • Use a range of policy approaches to incentivise use of electric vehicles (EVs) and encourage a shift away from petrol/diesel vehicles.
    • Legislate to ban the registration of new fossil-fuelled cars and light vehicles from 2030 onwards and phase out diesel and petrol cars from Irish cities from 2030.

So from that perspective if you plan on keeping something for up to 10+ years maybe a petrol hybrid would be preferable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭maherhonda

There is a lot of scare mongering about Diesels for some reason. If your doing 510KM a week definitely get a Diesel.

I've driven both petrol and Diesel, although I find petrols nicer to drive you can't beat Diesels on fuel economy.

Some petrols are doing great mpg these days....

See prices are on the way up again too.

If you're doing motorway and big runs diesel would be best suited....

City and short drives petrol all the way and hybrid or plug in could also suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Depending on budget I'd go full electric or diesel if not... what's your budget ? If going new electric us near free fuel , tax and servicing , also reduced tolls ...

Look though, realistically the largest cost , will be depreciation and finance costs if going new...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 robm360

I drove petrol cars for 16 years, got a diesel Honda Civic over 2 years ago. Never one ounce of trouble. Should have changed sooner.Was put off for years from buying diesel by all the scaremongering around them. Good fuel savings to be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

510km is not huge driving, but add in a little here and there and you are well over 600.

One big advantage for diesel is vat on diesel is reclaimable for vat reg professionals and companies whereas petrol is not.

More mpg and about 8c a litre cheaper makes it worth it.

Can I jump on here too for suggestions.

A hatchback car for my wife with a budget of 7-8k who does very low milage.
    Maybe 30km of town driving a week. Maybe a couple of long drives per month.

There are barely any petrol cars for sale now that match that criteria, with a bit of power. Has to be over 1.4 at least.

Does anyone have a resource to show the dangers of diesel or DPF filters? YouTube didn't bring me much luck.

FillaName wrote: »

There are barely any petrol cars with a bit a it of power. Has to be over 1.4 at least.

Does anyone have a resource to show the dangers of diesel or DPF filters? YouTube didn't bring me much luck.

Prius ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,434 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Only 510 kms a week. Geez buy an Electric Car. Hyundai Kona does 450 kms to a charge.

Why pay for fuel and a payment, when you can just make a payment on an Electric car that is capable of the miles you do.

How much is an electric car these days? Is it even worth getting a 2nd hand one?

Petrol and diesel are both rip off fuel v electric... electric is near free fuel! Way less to go wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Only 510 kms a week. Geez buy an Electric Car. Hyundai Kona does 450 kms to a charge.

Nearly forty grand for a car with the internal space of a Corsa!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Petrol and diesel are both rip off fuel v electric... electric is near free fuel! Way less to go wrong...

How so? Weighs a lot more, will cost more to buy new and rob you in suspension parts, brakes and tyres,still has all drivetrain parts and ancillaries as ICE, electricity isn't cheap

• Advertisement

I'd rather dip my balls in acid than pay 40K for a car, especially an electric corsa size one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

My lady has a 2l turbo petrol A5.

Mpg is about 35.

But one thing a diesel will never match is the quietness and how smooth it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

What's the wait time for a tesla model 3?
    maherhonda wrote: »
    I'd rather dip my balls in acid than pay 40K for a car, especially an electric corsa size one.

I agree. Hard enough to part with 4k.

The Op is looking at a new xc40, that's pushing 40k new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Here we go again

corkgsxr wrote: »
    My lady has a 2l turbo petrol A5.

Mpg is about 35.

But one thing a diesel will never match is the quietness and how smooth it is.

Have a 2ltr Petrol Vtec, was driving a 1.6TDI before that. Difference is unreal with regards the smoothness and noise.

Don't think I'd go back Diesel myself unless its needed. Only have a 8KM drive in and out of work these days compared to 1200KM a week in the Diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

€40k for a budget mini crossover that’s €20k in petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I've switched from a 2l Diesel to a 2l Petrol...

Delighted with the change, no more worrying about doing short distance runs, the Dpf light coming on, the clattery engine noise/additional vibrations...
    Insurance came down too..
    Petrol engine feels much more refined and 500 - 600 km is easily achievable, even in a 2 litre, never mind some of the smaller 1l turbo petrols which are even more efficient...

Diesels have there place in longer distance motorway runs.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

That's the issue, space. If you want the space you'd get in large saloons and estates you're really into the ultra premium electric segment at the moment. It'll be a while before that segment expands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

colm_mcm wrote: »
    €40k for a budget mini crossover that’s €20k in petrol.

But electricity is nearly free. :D

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    But electricity is nearly free. :D

I buy a car with a fresh NCT for 1500 or I buy an electric car for 40000.

Wonder how long it would take me to see the financial benefits when i drive 16KM a day.

Even when I have a 1.6TDI doing 1200KM's a week It would probably take 8 years or more before I see any financial benefits.

FillaName wrote: »

There are barely any petrol cars for sale now that match that criteria, with a bit of power. Has to be over 1.4 at least.

Honda jazz or fit

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Water2626262

The vast majority of new car sales and imports the last ten years have been diesel. It is steadily declining now but still a huge amount of diesels on the road. Huge amount of aged, low mileage diesels too if you look on carzone. Of the 9,621 diesels for sale right now no newer than 2016 reg, 3,787 have less than 100k kms (60k miles).

I think all these DPF stories are overblown. Driving diesels for years now at fairly low mileage and a lot of short hops and never had issues (touch wood).

I don’t doubt these problems happen but If they were as bad as some people make out, the mechanics across the country would have backlogs for weeks and it would be a topic on liveline every other week.

I think that's a throw away remark, seats 5 adults like any car,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭fabsoul

I change to petrol after 20+ years with diesel, And I'm very happy i made
    the change, The new peugeot 1.2 PureTech engine is sweet, Im getting around 5.7L per 100km about 800km per full tank. I have 3300km done so far and don't be put off by it been only 1.2 its quick, And the auto gearbox is very good.
    I have a test drive in the 3008.

I think that's a throw away remark, seats 5 adults like any car,

Internal dimensions are similar ,Kona is not a large car, base model 3 series for the same money.

• Advertisement

Internal dimensions are similar ,Kona is not a large car, base model 3 series for the same money.

Ah but it's tall, higher floor, but higher roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I have zero interest in an electric car.

I really don't see the point.

I can drive anywhere in the country (and back probably) in my diesel. If I exhaust the tank, takes 2 mins and I can do the same again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ah but it's tall, higher floor, but higher roof.

Call it what you want but it's still a 20k car selling for 40k including grants and that is where the problem lies for electric cars.

40k will buy you the likes of a one year old BMW 5 Series hybrid which will still ferry you around in luxury whether you plug it in or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Oh christ, not John Cadogan again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Base model 3 is ~10k more expensive, 10% less range and only RWD. Assuming you mean Tesla.

mp3guy wrote: »
    Base model 3 is ~10k more expensive, 10% less range and only RWD. Assuming you mean Tesla.

318i SE Auto is €40690.

The BMW price includes €6800 of VRT which the Kona is exempt from. It also doesn’t get the €5000 grant that the Kona has built into its price.

Even the most blinkered EVangelists agree that the Kona EV is overpriced and that Hyundai are taking advantage of the SEAI grant and silly BIK system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

maherhonda wrote: »
    I buy a car with a fresh NCT for 1500 or I buy an electric car for 40000.

Wonder how long it would take me to see the financial benefits when i drive 16KM a day.

Even when I have a 1.6TDI doing 1200KM's a week It would probably take 8 years or more before I see any financial benefits.

No, you would never see a financial benefit within the lifetime of the EV.

For fun, I did the numbers for the UK (too lazy to find the VRT) for buying the current Honda Civic Type R vs a Nissan Leaf. Apart from the considerably quicker acceleration and vastly greater range, load carrying, better handling and fun factor of the Civic, the difference in price would buy enough petrol for 30,000 k of driving. After that, the Leaf would start to save you money, but really, a Jazz or 1.8L petrol Civic would have been a less extreme comparison, so the price difference would have been greater meaning a possibility of no cost saving within the usual ownership period for most people.

Of course that wouldn't apply here due to VRT, but it sort of shows how very expensive EVs still are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,222 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm on my third EV. I do 50-60k per year and this EV is not saving me money. Now it's a Tesla model S and was not bought with the reason of saving money.

If you want to save money get a bus ticket.

If youre spending a huge chunk of change on a car, get whichever one you like most. Petrol, Diesel, electric. The most expensive part is buying the car. You wont notice a tenner a week in more fuel. If, like me, you drive a lot, get a car that is a nice place to be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

colm_mcm wrote: »
    318i SE Auto is €40690.

The BMW price includes €6800 of VRT which the Kona is exempt from. It also doesn’t get the €5000 grant that the Kona has built into its price.

Even the most blinkered EVangelists agree that the Kona EV is overpriced and that Hyundai are taking advantage of the SEAI grant and silly BIK system.

Right, but my comment was only based on the assumption he wasn't talking about a BMW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Headshot wrote: »
    Hi all.

I'm thinking of getting a new car but im tempted to go down petrol as the car will be cheaper but i'm wondering is it a false economy as i do a lot of mileage

I do 510km a week so is getting petrol a waste of time and if so how much extra roughly a week would petrol cost me extra?

Don't get a diesel. They could do to diesel running and registration costs what the greens did to petrol in 2008. Before that, petrol was cheaper to buy than diesel, as it should be, because when you refine a barrel of oil, you get a lot more petrol from it than diesel, meaning that without government messing, petrol is naturally cheaper then diesel.

You could look at an EV, as plans are to continually increase vehicle fuels and home heating costs until everyone is in poverty, but you really have to look at the whole ownership costs, which include purchase price, not just the running costs.

mp3guy wrote: »

3 series BMW, why would anyone want an old model Mazda?

I know a girl with a petrol Kona, she said last week she took 3 grown men in rear no problem, and one up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

I know a girl with a petrol Kona, she said last week she took 3 grown men in rear no problem, and one up front.

Ooh matron :D

That's most likely because she was bet up against the steering wheel....

• Advertisement
Advertisement