Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

E39MSport wrote: »
    Damn it anyway - They could at least put a warning on their VRT calculator.

There IS a warning on the calculator. There has also been news articles, countless threads here, countless Facebook articles and let's not forget the amount of people who phoned radio stations complaining about it.

You have no grounds to appeal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

michellie wrote: »
    There IS a warning on the calculator. There has also been news articles, countless threads here, countless Facebook articles and let's not forget the amount of people who phoned radio stations complaining about it.

You have no grounds to appeal it.

Perhaps you could point out the warning here?

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s2

It appears that based on your comment that in order to be aware of this change, one must watch Irish news or listen to Irish radio or donate ones personal information to a megomaniac.
    I do none of the above. I do however admit to not having read the entirety of the ROS information and will have to bear the cost accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭deezell

.......It appears that based on your comment that in order to be aware of this change, one must watch Irish news or listen to Irish radio....

...... or donate ones personal information to a megomaniac.
    I do none of the above......

I suppose if you don't regard national media or pay attention to the affairs of the state it's inevitable that you might be caught out for want of common local knowledge (it was in the Budget), and fair play, you hold your hand up for that, but as for the 'information donations' and assuming your didn't mean the old 80's Atari video game, I'm more interested in who or what the meg(al)omaniac is who wants your data. Do tell. Is it your man who owns Faceache? Murdoch? Boris Putin-Trump? Spill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Perhaps you could point out the warning here?

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s2

It appears that based on your comment that in order to be aware of this change, one must watch Irish news or listen to Irish radio or donate ones personal information to a megomaniac.
    I do none of the above. I do however admit to not having read the entirety of the ROS information and will have to bear the cost accordingly.

"the calculation does not cover the NOx charge",

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why do Irish logbooks not list the NOx emissions after they would have been obtained from the v5 and/or manufacturer?

• Advertisement

deezell wrote: »
    I suppose if you don't regard national media or pay attention to the affairs of the state it's inevitable that you might be caught out for want of common local knowledge (it was in the Budget), and fair play, you hold your hand up for that, but as for the 'information donations' and assuming your didn't mean the old 80's Atari video game, I'm more interested in who or what the meg(al)omaniac is who wants your data. Do tell. Is it your man who owns Faceache? Murdoch? Boris Putin-Trump? Spill.

Facething of course - that was the reference.

Anyway, I spend most of my time travelling abroad not listening to Joe Duffy.

The warning I'd expect on the calculator itself might read in prominent red lettering 'Warning : the calculated figure does not reflect changes introduced in budget 2020 and may be grossly inaccurate.'

They clearly haven't got their act together with regard to changing the calculator in line with the budget.

What use is an official VRT calculator exposed on public Internet that states in bold lettering' Complete the following to obtain a Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) calculation for a vehicle.'... when it's totally misleading???

There's no getting away from the fact that this is a typical Irish sh1tshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I would consider it more an Irish thing to do soemtbing without fully researching it first.

L-M wrote: »
    I would consider it more an Irish thing to do soemtbing without fully researching it first.

That's very helpful. Thankfully I'm not Irish.

I used the revenues VRT calculator to determine amount due.

It should have a disclaimer on the resulting calculation. Period.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bella34

To get the full VRT and NOX thingy I went online...and got a heartattck!! It was called myvehicle.ie and they showed the full VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭jimmyjim11

do you need to apply for NCT if car is younger that 4 years ? a 162

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭User1998

NCT for 162 is due in July at the earliest. Check the registration date on the logbook and thats the month it will be due. If its a UK import its probably September

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Lads over here and Uk and just want to advise newbie Uk buyers like me that the garages really will not budge off the retail prices!!! That’s the price , fully stop!! And I’m finding that there’s a lot of salespeople here that really couldn’t give a ****!!! I went to an Evan halshaw dealership today and he hadn’t a ****ing clue about his car or did he want to bother looking .... I actually thought him more about it !!!.. and he had two different reports with different co2 emissions for the car !!! Be careful!

Anyways just wondering ... a car I looked at says Jan 14 and is 63 plate which commences sept 13 to feb 14... if i brought that car in would that definitely be taken as Jan 2014 or is there a danger that could be taken as 13 and worth less as result!?

Question 2... anyone know why 14 X5 engines have 254 bhp vs later 258bhp yet have same 0-60 and top speeds ? The co2 is 164 vs 158 also... as far as I know it is the same engine so what changed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

I'm hoping to buy a car from the UK and the seller has shown me a copy of the V5C but there's lots of information missing from it. It doesn't even have the model or anything, it just says Toyota for the make and the rest of the sections for the model and type etc. are just blank. It also shows 0 for the co2. I'm just wondering if this will likely be a lot of hassle with getting the correct VRT rate?

Also, under the tax class it says Private/Light Goods (PLG). Does anyone know what that means?

The car was originally imported into the UK from Japan if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

LillySV wrote: »
    Lads over here and Uk and just want to advise newbie Uk buyers like me that the garages really will not budge off the retail prices!!! That’s the price , fully stop!! And I’m finding that there’s a lot of salespeople here that really couldn’t give a ****!!! I went to an Evan halshaw dealership today and he hadn’t a ****ing clue about his car or did he want to bother looking .... I actually thought him more about it !!!.. and he had two different reports with different co2 emissions for the car !!! Be careful!

Anyways just wondering ... a car I looked at says Jan 14 and is 63 plate which commences sept 13 to feb 14... if i brought that car in would that definitely be taken as Jan 2014 or is there a danger that could be taken as 13 and worth less as result!?

Question 2... anyone know why 14 X5 engines have 254 bhp vs later 258bhp yet have same 0-60 and top speeds ? The co2 is 164 vs 158 also... as far as I know it is the same engine so what changed ?

Have you checked the Nox on those? I assume they could be huge??

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

X5 built from June 2014 would be Euro6

L-M wrote: »
    Have you checked the Nox on those? I assume they could be huge??

Yea keep checking the nox excel sheet for everything !
    Audi q7s are out of the equation so considering X5 or 15 onwards Touareg

The spreadsheet isn’t a guarantee of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The v5 will say date first registered on, this will determine the registration of the car here. If it's a non NIRL car you can put the reg in to the MOT website and it will tell you when it was first registered https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

....Anyways just wondering ... a car I looked at says Jan 14 and is 63 plate which commences sept 13 to feb 14... if i brought that car in would that definitely be taken as Jan 2014 or is there a danger that could be taken as 13 and worth less as result!?

Run the uk reg on the DVLA site to confirm month of registration. Afaik its Sept. to Feb inclusive for 6x regs, March to August for 1x. If the month of reg of a 63 reg is Sept to Dec, car will be a 13 here, if its Jan or Feb it will be a 14 reg here. Same goes for later years when we introduced split year reg, so a uk 65 reg can be 152 or 161 here, and a uk 15 reg can be 151 or 152 here.

Regarding the 2014 X5, are you referring to the 2.0 Diesel? This changed engine from the innovative but troublesome N47 to the M47 in 2014. The N47 was the one with doomed timing chains, requiring complete engine removal to replace (assuming you didn't ignore the chatter and let your chain break, destroying the engine). You could be referring to the 2l petrol hybrid 14 engine, about which I know nothing, but car variants will often have tweaked output and slightly different emissions depending on configuration, tuning, tyres etc. From the emissions you quote, Im assumimg it's the 2l diesels.

Run the uk reg on the DVLA site to confirm month of registration. Afaik its Sept. to Feb inclusive for 6x regs, March to August for 1x. If the month of reg of a 63 reg is Sept to Dec, car will be a 13 here, if its Jan or Feb it will be a 14 reg here. Same goes for later years when we introduced split year reg, so a uk 65 reg can be 152 or 161 here, and a uk 15 reg can be 151 or 152 here.

Regarding the 2014 X5, are you referring to the 2.0 Diesel? This changed engine from the innovative but troublesome N47 to the M47 in 2014. The N47 was the one with doomed timing chains, requiring complete engine removal to replace (assuming you didn't ignore the chatter and let your chain break, destroying the engine). You could be referring to the 2l petrol hybrid 14 engine, about which I know nothing, but car variants will often have tweaked output and slightly different emissions depending on configuration, tuning, tyres etc. From the emissions you quote, Im assumimg it's the 2l diesels.

No X5 30d

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    X5 built from June 2014 would be Euro6

Sorry only seeing this now ... so I’d have to buy car from June 14 to be euro 6? That’s the 158co2 difference so ? U don’t happen to know what the change is physically to engine to allow that ??? Just curious to difference

Not a clue, I just remember reading about cars which were Euro6 compliant earlier than necessary. It may have been when they changed engine to the B47 from the N47

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭amf78

Is the Pope a Catholic?
    Not just to boost new car sales, but to inflate used car prices, making it 'affordable' to trade up.
    Dealers were all for importing if it could have been restricted to them. People here have noted the attempted restrictive practice by some BMW UK franchises to refuse export to private importers.

I wouldn't have anything against importing being restricted to them.
    But first they need to stop competing with loan sharks as far as markup is concerned (though in fairness they have a lot to learn from landlords).
    Second, the government needs to scrap the VRT, or cut it down to a few tens of euros, as it's currently being done in most of Europe. You know, like that old fashioned idea of free circulation of goods within the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The "free circulation goods within the EU" card gets mentioned alot here but some people don't seem to understand what that means. There is nothing stopping you buying a car from anywhere in Europe, your not being restricted in doing that. VRT is however an additional registration tax if you want to permanently bring it into Ireland. Other EU countries have their version of VRT, for some it's a small fixed amount while for other countries it's a good bit more expensive that what we pay here. Check out how much the Danes pay for their equivalent.

amf78 wrote: »
    But first they need to stop competing with loan sharks as far as markup is concerned (though in fairness they have a lot to learn from landlords).
    Second, the government needs to scrap the VRT, or cut it down to a few tens of euros, as it's currently being done in most of Europe. You know, like that old fashioned idea of free circulation of goods within the EU.

Where is this being done in most of Europe? Cos I can give you a list as long as my arm of European countries that have registration taxes, Ireland sitting somewhere in the middle in terms of cost.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The "free circulation goods within the EU" card gets mentioned alot here but some people don't seem to understand what that means. There is nothing stopping you buying a car from anywhere in Europe, your not being restricted in doing that. VRT is however an additional registration tax if you want to permanently bring it into Ireland. Other EU countries have their version of VRT, for some it's a small fixed amount while for other countries it's a good bit more expensive that what we pay here. Check out how much the Danes pay for their equivalent.
    I could be mistaken, but didn't VRT replaced the excise/customs duty (which existed until 1992)? If so, changing its name doesn't change what it is.
    I'm aware that similar "schemes" exist in other EU states. Last time I looked into this, 16 out of 27 EU states had it. But the key thing is that the majority of those 16 countries charge tens or hundreds of euros at most.
    You mention Danes... Finns pay comparable amounts, and have you seen their cars? I'm not sure you'd like to see something like that in Ireland. When you pay and arm and a leg for a car (whether locally or abroad), guess what most people end up doing? And I don't mean walking more or taking the bus...
    Cos I can give you a list as long as my arm of European countries that have registration taxes, Ireland sitting somewhere in the middle in terms of cost.
    Let's not exaggerate. Unless you have extremely short arms, you don't need the full length of your arm to write down all Eu member states, let alone those who have VRT. If you take into account all countries in Europe you add a few more, but even then...

I’m writing them lengthways

:D good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

short arms and long pockets I reckon.

• Advertisement

amf78 wrote: »
    But first they need to stop competing with loan sharks as far as markup is concerned (though in fairness they have a lot to learn from landlords)......

That's an interesting comment re loan sharks. Garages could easily bump their margins using complex finance agreements, which cost a lot more than a loan from the credit union. Attractively priced cars worked out very expensive when you had baloon payments, early redemption penalties (if you wanted to trade in while there was a few months left on your existing loan), and my favourite, the three year loan which looked attractive till you realised there were 37, not 36 monthly payments.

Advertisement