Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petrol v diesel cars

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

bazz26 wrote: »
    Well god help them if they are spending that much time driving in an Kona EV to warrant it saving them 20k. I'd say that is the exception rather than the rule with your typical private owner who isn't driving it for the tax breaks. They would probably only be doing average mileage so hard to see where those people would actually save that 20k difference over the petrol unless they keep the car for many years at which stage the range on the Kona EV will probably be obsolete compared to newer rival EVs.

I can see some similarities to 2008/2009 with people going out spending thousands on new cars to save a few hundred on motor tax.

Do you like any electric cars ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mp3guy wrote: »
    I heard some people, maniacs if you ask me, actually buy EVs for environmental reasons.

The virtue of signalling. ;)
    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Do you like any electric cars ?

I don't care about them either way, they don't interest me. Don't see what difference that makes though. Even if I wanted to spend 40k on an EV it wouldn't be on a Kona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

The virtue of signalling. ;)

Just saying it's a motivation for some EV buyers, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Well god help them if they are spending that much time driving in an Kona EV to warrant it saving them 20k. I'd say that is the exception rather than the rule with your typical private owner who isn't driving it for the tax breaks. They would probably only be doing average mileage so hard to see where those people would actually save that 20k difference over the petrol unless they keep the car for many years at which stage the range on the Kona EV will probably be obsolete compared to newer rival EVs.

I can see some similarities to 2008/2009 with people going out spending thousands on new cars to save a few hundred on motor tax.

That's their decision.

Not sure how you see similarities, people swapped a 2007 car to a 2008 to reduce 200 euro on tax. While still spending the same amount of fuel etc.

THe cost saving on electric include servicing, fuel, tolls, BIK, tax, insurance in most cases etc. Plus they are better for the environment. The tax reduction in reality is minimal. Combine with solar PV and you can have zero cost for fuel while also reducing home energy costs.

The Kona has a 64kWh battery for instance, how would that be obsolete? All the manufactuers have settled on a 4XkWh and a 6XkWh option. Some bringing out a higher battery option which will only be for the few.

In 5-6 years time you will still be buying a new EV with a 64kWh battery, even the most progressive companies are suggesting an alternative to the current battery make up will not be in general production till after that. Degradation which is always fired out is not going to affect unless you have hundreds of thousands of KM on the car which at that stage it would have already paid for itself and like a combustion engine car it would be scrapped anyway.

If low mileage on the car it will be worth more in second hand market because at that stage the fuel cost for petrol/diesel will be high based on the current trend.

In reality, the exterior of the car will fail before the battery and the motor will. Even in that situation the batteries are hot property to get used as SolarPV backup system.

So do you really think someone buying a new electric is the same as swapping a car to reduce tax by a few hundred?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's an electric vehicle, altogether different technology, it's hard to know exactly how to value a car but this common perception that electric cars are very expensive is mostly flawed in terms of comparison with conventional I.C.E cars

In your mind perhaps, but not to most other people who aren't into tech for techs sake and just want transportation they can afford. Given the enormous weight of batteries, I'm sure it is a different driving experience - great if you are into barges.

cnocbui wrote: »
    In your mind perhaps, but not to most other people who aren't into tech for techs sake and just want transportation they can afford. Given the enormous weight of batteries, I'm sure it is a different driving experience - great if you are into barges.

Safe to make a guess you have never driven an electric car so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

can't think of any car that size for 20 k bar a dacia duster?

Dacia is a lot bigger, there's about 10 vehicles in the mini-crossover segment Nissan Juke,Renault Captur, Suzuki SX4, VW T-cross

The electric Kona is a totally different driving experience to a petrol

Most people couldn't care less about driving experience,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Most people couldn't care less about driving experience,

If that were true, everyone would own a dacia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Driving experience am I missing something here i drove two different Nissan leafs and was as boring as some of the posters in this thread now unless the kona has Ferrari designed chassis wot experience being behind one while it trundles down the nass road at 50kmh the excitement is unbearable

• Advertisement

Philb76 wrote: »
    Driving experience am I missing something here i drove two different Nissan leafs and was as boring as some of the posters in this thread now unless the kona has Ferrari designed chassis wot experience being behind one while it trundles down the nass road at 50kmh the excitement is unbearable

Have you driven a Nissan combustion engine car and found it exciting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Have you driven a Nissan combustion engine car and found it exciting?

Drove a skyline found it very exciting and and a sunny GTI r which was brilliant

Philb76 wrote: »
    Drove a skyline found it very exciting and and a sunny GTI r which was brilliant

So is that a no or a yes?

Spin around in a Pulsar which the Leaf 2 is based on and see how exciting that is

Lot of them about, wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot barge pole but would need a bigger pole for a Zoe or Leaf, who designed them ? Mary Berry

Lot of them about, wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot barge pole but would need a bigger pole for a Zoe or Leaf, who designed them ? Mary Berry

Zoe is based on the Clio and the Leaf is based on the Pulsar

Standard enough cars and similar to most on market

The Zoe will end up filtering down to the Dacia longer term anyway......Dacia after all is just really old Renault kit

Zoe is based on the Clio and the Leaf is based on the Pulsar

Standard enough cars and similar to most on market

The Zoe will end up filtering down to the Dacia longer term anyway......Dacia after all is just really old Renault kit

Leaf is truly ugly ,
    Hydrogen cars will be operational by the time Dacia start using Zoe parts, electric vehicles will never be used in Eastern Russia , the most of South America and Africa, even parts of the US and Canada will never find electric vehicles usable so I believe in 10-15 years time the electric car will be obsolete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If they cared about driving experience, they woukdnt be in 90% of cars on irish roads ... pretty much the only criteria are age, motor tax and diesel... the dest doesnt matter :rolleyes:

Leaf is truly ugly ,
    Hydrogen cars will be operational by the time Dacia start using Zoe parts, electric vehicles will never be used in Eastern Russia , the most of South America and Africa, even parts of the US and Canada will never find electric vehicles usable so I believe in 10-15 years time the electric car will be obsolete

Based on what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I struggle to see why anyone would buy a new kona.

You can get a 1 year old 530e m sport for 40k or 520d msport if you want a diesel for less than 45k

I know which car I’d rather spend my time in.

• Advertisement

Based on what?

No electrical infrastructure, sub Saharan Africa is home to the petrol landcruiser, Russian Siberia is Diesel , flimsy little plastic cars that weigh the same as a single cab Hilux will never be suitable for harsh environments, Hydrogen fuel cells on the other hand will , there's an island off Scotland where they are trialling hydrogen

http://www.surfnturf.org.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Headshot wrote: »
    Hi all.

I'm thinking of getting a new car but im tempted to go down petrol as the car will be cheaper but i'm wondering is it a false economy as i do a lot of mileage

I do 510km a week so is getting petrol a waste of time and if so how much extra roughly a week would petrol cost me extra?

Well if you take diesel at 1.20 a litre and petrol at 1.30 and use sensible fuel efficiencies like 5 or 6 l/100km for diesel on motorway and 6 or 7 for petrol relative to a specific vehicle which you can look up on sites like honest John a general annual comparison is pretty easy to calculate.

So if you do 20,000km a year then divide by 100. So 200 x 5. 5l/100km x 1.2 = 1320 EU a year for diesel. Or 1690 for petrol at 6.5l/100km. So 370 extra a year for petrol which you multiply across your predicted ownership time. So if you intend to keep for 5 years that's 1850 extra in fuel.

As you can see it's not a huge difference which is why hybrids offer no real cost benefit. Vehicle capital cost is the biggest thing you pay as well as interest on that which most of us borrow. On a 25k car the extra in fuel over 5 years above is just 7% of the total car cost which decreases once tax, insurance, parking, tolls and servicing and repairs are added in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,634 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I hope I'm not deviating to much for my original question but now about 510km a week on a Hybrid petrol?

Just curious to know is it a very bad idea economy wise?

I hope I'm not deviating to much for my original question but now about 510km a week on a Hybrid petrol?

That's 100km a day. What type of driving is it? city? open road? etc

That's 100km a day. What type of driving is it? city? open road? etc

Majority is country road. Unfortunately i'm only on the motor way 15 mins and after that it's all primary roads

You'll probably get about 5.4L/100km, depending on the hybrid.

• Advertisement

You'll probably get about 5.4L/100km, depending on the hybrid.

not different to my current diesel then

I'm currently looking at the Rav4 at the moment

not different to my current diesel then

I'm currently looking at the Rav4 at the moment

New or old model?

New Model Rav4

New Model Rav4

You'll probably only get around 6.7L/100KM in that hybrid, quite a big car and engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

For that type of driving (assuming you dont want/need a full EV) a diesel is better than petrol or hybrid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

You'll probably only get around 6.7L/100KM in that hybrid, quite a big car and engine.

This isn't aimed at the op but I can't help point out the contradiction of wanting a large engined suv which is both inefficient due to shape and size and has in this case a large engine and is expensive and then worrying about an extra 20 quid of fuel a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭almostover

I have a Lexus is300h, and I find it most economical on primary roads at about 90-100kmh. Get 50mpg at those speeds.

Advertisement