Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd be wary of those Ford Powershift auto gearboxes. Some of them can be troublesome and not cheap to put right either.

Thanks - had no idea! Reading more about that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Dazed2020

Hey all, wanted to get some views on a couple of used cars I'm looking at.

Looking at 3yr old Mercedes GLE 250s & torn between two that suit my price range (I'm based in the UK, so much more affordable than Ireland).
    Both have approx 17,000 miles (27,000 km).
    One has had two previous owners & now the dealer, The dealer assured me (of course) that it's normal & with higher end cars people trade up every year, which i understand. but still raised my suspicions about whether it's a lemon & why people would sell so quickly.
    The other car has had 1 owner but did 16,000 miles from 2017-18 then pretty much laid up. It's done a couple hundred miles since & been untaxed since august 2018 & sold to the dealer in February this year. Dealer didn't know history, said the driver could have been ill etc. makes me worry about the diesel engine having been used much at all for the past 2 years,
    Both will be approved used, so come with 100 point check, full service & MOT, 1yr warranty which puts me somewhat at ease.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

Found a car I'm hoping to go see tomorrow. Private seller (although he's had about 20 listings on DoneDeal). Price listed is for 3k.

Sounds like a stupid question but how does payment usually work - is it always cash for this amount?

If I can't get the actual cash (bank closed on a Saturday) what's usually done then, hope that he holds it for me and I go back down on Monday? Do people usually give a deposit so that he'll hold it for me?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,276 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Cash only I'd say, make sure you see the logbook. If you know nothing about cars bring someone with you who does, they could spot something seriously wrong with it. Seller could be fine in that he is sourcing cars dealers are offloading as trade-ins they have no use for or may be selling cars there's issues not worth fixing on.

Check the NCT is legit by putting reg in to NCT.ie. A car history check not a bad idea either that check if it's a write off that may be hard to insure.

Thanks for the advice. I don't really know anyone who'd be available to come down with me tomorrow. Looks like the car will be at the guy's house at least.

Put it into NCT.ie and the NCT date is legit (nct.ie actually gives a few months later due date, which I guess is due to Covid extension).

I rang my insurance and gave them the reg, nothing seemed to pop up for them on their end.

The ad has the 'greenlight' on DoneDeal also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

All that is great but it doesn't mean much in the way of certainties. Somebody selling about 20 cars is a trader so it means he knows more about selling cars than you do about buying them. Unless you know your beans then a novice buying a car without having someone mechanically knowledgeable looking it over first is a recipe for disaster. 3k is a fair chunk of change to spending blindly.

Yeah very true. Car is in the Wexford area. I'll see about getting someone to come down with me or try the carinspection website if seller is happy to facilitate

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Try buying a car from it’s owner that’s had it a few years instead of these tax dodgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭ooter

planning on heading out to a dealer's garage tomorrow to have a look at a used car, would it be better to just cold call and ask to see the car there and then rather than contacting them in advance?

It mightn’t be there when ye get there so maybe ring ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know the lie of the land for insurance on cars over 10 years of age these days? Just dipping my toe in the market, dont currently have my own car policy. Had heard something a few years back that insurance companies dont want to insure cars over 10yrs and if they do it is big money, does that still ring true?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Back Home

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know the lie of the land for insurance on cars over 10 years of age these days? Just dipping my toe in the market, dont currently have my own car policy. Had heard something a few years back that insurance companies dont want to insure cars over 10yrs and if they do it is big money, does that still ring true?

Yes

Not really much of an issue unless it’s 15 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

This has probably been asked but couldn't find a solid answer.

Paying in full for a car later this week (already paid deposit), total of 8k left.

My debit card only allows 2.5k in transactions per day. I have Revolut but I think the limit is 5k. I imagine actual cash is also not desirable and an online bank transfer would take a couple of days to clear.

What's the done thing here?

I would guess it's bank transfer but will I be able to drive the car away while the money is in limbo on the way to the dealer?

Are you sure about the 2.5k thing? My BOI visa debit allows something like €25k

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Are you sure about the 2.5k thing? My BOI visa debit allows something like €25k

Yea I checked with KBC chat customer service

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

KBC are such a pain.

Just ask for the bank details of the garage, transfer it each day. You should be able to transfer 5k a day. So do 5 Monday and the balance Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭F5500

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/seat-leon-fr-240bhp-btcc-body-kit-may-swap-/24794608

Anyone want to weigh in on that? Had been looking at E60 520-530D MSports but this popped up as a possible alternative.

If 240bhp is true, is that a very aggressive remap? From a Google they seem to be 170 as standard so that would be a jump.

Any info or opinions welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

5k for a 12 year old Leon and the NCT is up next month, the dreamer thread is that way >>>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/seat/ibiza/fpa/202002217587189?SOURCE_ID=SOURCE_ID_FPA_FROM_FEAT_LIST&journey=FeaturedListing

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/opel/corsa/fpa/202008252910921?journey=DealerStockList

First timer to this revved up section of Boards, maybe not the last.

We are looking at buying our first car and the budget is around 8k, could maybe push to 10k. The linked cars above looks perfect, relatively low mileage, within our budget and we have a good quote for insurance on them.

We are considering whether to go test drive but would anyone have any opinions on the ads in the attached that would be relevant for us (remember, no car currently to having a car so we aren't too picky; just want something pretty reliable and comfortable within our budget). Many thanks for whoever replies!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

By way of update, the update no one asked for, we didn't bother with those cars. We used cash and some finance to get a 2016 Golf.

Was just about to say that 2013 Corsa was very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭raclle

What's the best site for used cars?

Still in the market for an i30d

Carzone seems crazy expensive

Garages looking for anywhere between 7-10k for 2012 cars is madness

Can you buy private on carzone?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ivan1983

Hello everyone, I'm planing to buy a Mazda 3, 2014, 2.2 diesel, so is there anyone with car like that for some advices/references? :-)
    I'm from Galway and I found one on DoneDeal in good condtion, I already went to check the car, few marks here and there but that's it... the rest looks and feels excellent. (I can't put link as new user here).

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭raclle

Did you check for rust?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,017 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ivan1983 wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I'm planing to buy a Mazda 3, 2014, 2.2 diesel, so is there anyone with car like that for some advices/references? :-)
    I'm from Galway and I found one on DoneDeal in good condtion, I already went to check the car, few marks here and there but that's it... the rest looks and feels excellent. (I can't put link as new user here).

Thanks in advance.
    Run, fast, from any Mazda with a diesel engine. Seriously.

Not your ornery onager

It’d be too much of a risk for me anyway.

raclle wrote: »
    Did you check for rust?
    Esel wrote: »
    Run, fast, from any Mazda with a diesel engine. Seriously.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’d be too much of a risk for me anyway.

Really lads? This generation doesn't rust (not at this age at least haha) and these Skyaktiv diesel engines are better then ever.

It seems I'm more updated. I watched many reviews for this model, 2013-2015 and there wasn't single complaint. They are more reliable than any German car, only problem could be if previous owner didn't take care for preventive maintenance, etc.

Thanks for reply anyway.

They’re terrible engines and far less reliable than their Germany counterparts.

I’ve yet to meet a good one

• Advertisement

L-M wrote: »
    They’re terrible engines and far less reliable than their Germany counterparts.

I’ve yet to meet a good one

I still can't believe.
    I was also considering Honda Accord (2011/2012/2013) but they are more expensive and road tax is also higher (380 vs 190)

Advertisement