Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭User1998

For used cars if there are no previous owners as in one owner from new it will say:

Previous owners -

It never says: Previous owners 0, does it?

If there are two owners in total, one previous owner and one current owner (excluding a dealer who isn’t an owner) it will say:

Previous owners 1

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Great post, would like to add that buyers should check underneath the car for rust, often hidden by dirt when the visable parts of the car are clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

User1998 wrote: »
    For used cars if there are no previous owners as in one owner from new it will say:

Previous owners -

It never says: Previous owners 0, does it?

If there are two owners in total, one previous owner and one current owner (excluding a dealer who isn’t an owner) it will say:

Previous owners 1

Yes, but for some dealer cars it’s putting previous owners as 1 on a 1 owner car, whereas if the seller was a private seller it would say - previous owners.

May be a glitch on how they bulk import dealer ads from Carzone or wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I just checked a few ads I have one DoneDeal and they’re all the correct owners.

I even put on up one yesterday that I traded in yesterday (That hasn’t yet been bought in our dealer code) and that’s still showing the correct owners.

If it’s a PRE Reg I can see how because you don’t get issued a log book until you tax a car, but everything else should be right.

It’s fairly misleading to be fair if it’s not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

Thanks all.

Does anyone have any opinions on the current VW dealership pricing structure i.e. they appear to have standard pricing on 2018 VW Polos of €17,995 for instance.

I'm thinking of enquiring about the Polo I posted earlier (it doesn't have any price but I would imagine it's because it has 16,000 km, so I'm guessing it will be a few hundred more)- https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-polo-cl-comfort-line-1-0-tsi-d7f-95hp/24532387

I'm just wondering how low do you think they would go in price given they all have standard prices?

• Advertisement

There isn’t a “standard price”, more of a market value.

If you need an Automatic Polo that’s as good value as you’ll get.

If you don’t need an Auto you’re probably over paying by 2-3k

If you don’t want the Comfortline, you’d probably buy a brand new one in A Trendline, Nonmetallic for the same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭brimeh

I have a car for sale on donedeal that says previous owners: ---

Does that mean it thinks I am the original owner from new? Or could it be because its a UK import and they can't verify UK owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭User1998

It means you have been the only owner in Ireland, it doesn’t count UK owners

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭brimeh

User1998 wrote: »
    It means you have been the only owner in Ireland, it doesn’t count UK owners

That makes more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭djan

Hi, I will be going to look at a car tomorrow. Was wondering if online checks such as car tell.ie etc are worthwhile?

My main concerns would be outstanding finance and how that would work in practice and mileage and potential write off status etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,537 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

djan wrote: »
    Hi, I will be going to look at a car tomorrow. Was wondering if online checks such as car tell.ie etc are worthwhile?

My main concerns would be outstanding finance and how that would work in practice and mileage and potential write off status etc.

Yes do the check before parting with money. Additionally check that chassis number matches logbook. Only buy from seller as named on logbook.

Yes do the check before parting with money. Additionally check that chassis number matches logbook. Only buy from seller as named on logbook.

Thanks will do that. I think the seller might be selling the wife's car, so unless it's in his name, should I leave it?

It’s either his “wife’s” car or actually his wife’s car.

If it’s actually his wife’s car buy away, if it’s not he may be a “part time” trader so just thread carefully.

Chances that:

Wife will have kept her maiden name
    She’ll also have registered it at her sisters house
    They just moved house so it’s registered at an old address

Then again, husbands often sell their wife’s car.

Well apparently the wife is out of the country for the past while. Assuming that it's not his name on the log book. Should I leave it at that or what is the worst case scenario. Thanks for your help again!

djan wrote: »
    Well apparently the wife is out of the country for the past while. Assuming that it's not his name on the log book. Should I leave it at that or what is the worst case scenario. Thanks for your help again!

Do some sensible checks, does the address on his drivers licence match the address on his wife’s car etc.

Trust your gut instinct though.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭pcasso

Would anyone have any idea what the wriggle room on price might be for a secondhand car from a dealer.
    It is a hyundai i30 and the asking price seems to be where most similar are pitched.
    Would I be correct in assuming that trading in a low value car against it might reduce the haggling room for lowering the price.
    Thanks.

Sell the cheap car and get a discount off the newer one is usually the way to go.
    Try and get a grand off. If there’s loads of similar ones for sale for the same money then try them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Itainire

Hey lads I have a budget of about 7-8k and looking for buy a small first car like a Clio, not older than 2014 and not more than 90k km mileage

The budget is all for the car ..I have separated budget for insurance and other expenses.

Is it irrealistic? Should I wait and save more money? I would like a safe reliable car better with touchscreen.. Wondering if my budget of 8k is enough

Totally doable for that year.

You probably want CarPlay/Android Auto, make sure it has this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Itainire wrote: »
    Hey lads I have a budget of about 7-8k and looking for buy a small first car like a Clio, not older than 2014 and not more than 90k km mileage

The budget is all for the car ..I have separated budget for insurance and other expenses.

Is it irrealistic? Should I wait and save more money? I would like a safe reliable car better with touchscreen.. Wondering if my budget of 8k is enough

There's a some out there but you'll have to sift through a good few Dacia Sanderos, Toyota aygos, and the likes.

Check out 2013+ Toyota auris too.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Itainire

Thanks all! I know absolutely nothing about cars and have no family or friends to help me out lol

I have a possible dumb question.. When in a used car website from an authorised dealership the price is written down as "cash" it doesn't really mean cash cash right? I mean they don't really want me to go around with 8k in the pocket right? I will able to pay through bank transfer?
    Sorry I know it's a silly doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

They just mean a straight sale, no trade in. Bank transfer. draft or debit card is how I have paid in the past

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Hi all, I'm looking at buying a new car used and found what seems to be a good car from a reputable dealer in Dublin. The only thing is the car is a UK import.

What additional considerations should be borne in mind here? Is it possible to check the UK service history? The fact that it's an import wouldn't be any sort of red flag, would it?

Thanks - I don't know much about cars:o

Goose76 wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm looking at buying a new car used and found what seems to be a good car from a reputable dealer in Dublin. The only thing is the car is a UK import.

What additional considerations should be borne in mind here? Is it possible to check the UK service history? The fact that it's an import wouldn't be any sort of red flag, would it?

Thanks - I don't know much about cars:o

Be careful that it isn't a write off insurance repair in the UK. You can check if it has been using motorcheck.ie or cartell.ie

https://www.myvehicle.ie/car-news/write-off-categories-in-the-uk-explained#:~:text=A%20category%20A%20insurance%20write,as%20a%20total%20insurance%20loss.

Also with UK cars they seem to be more susceptible to rust so make sure you give the underneath a good look, check the arches, the axles, the belly pan screws etc

Also listen for squeaks from the clutch and watch for any revs if the clutch is pressed down while the car is in neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Kilboor wrote: »
    Be careful that it isn't a write off insurance repair in the UK. You can check if it has been using motorcheck.ie or cartell.ie

https://www.myvehicle.ie/car-news/write-off-categories-in-the-uk-explained#:~:text=A%20category%20A%20insurance%20write,as%20a%20total%20insurance%20loss.

Also with UK cars they seem to be more susceptible to rust so make sure you give the underneath a good look, check the arches, the axles, the belly pan screws etc

Also listen for squeaks from the clutch and watch for any revs if the clutch is pressed down while the car is in neutral.

Thank you!! The pricing etc does seem a smidge too good to be true (FYI: https://www.capitalmotors.ie/car-details/2555483/ ) so I will definitely give it a thorough check as best I can.

It's automatic so no clutch issues to consider at least but then perhaps other issues could be harder to discover.

I'm on the lookout for an automatic small-ish car that will still have a large enough boot to accommodate a large dog and is still large enough generally to accommodate a very tall partner. Unsurprisingly, this combination is a bit hard to find within a reasonable budget:P

Make sure you find out what's covered under the warranty but otherwise dealer seems legitimate!

Definitely grab the reg number and give it a check on motorcheck or cartell!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Kilboor wrote: »
    Make sure you find out what's covered under the warranty but otherwise dealer seems legitimate!

Definitely grab the reg number and give it a check on motorcheck or cartell![/quote

There's free app that gives some UK history , like MOT dates etc. Few extra quids gives even more. Worth a shot imho

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

There's free app that gives some UK history , like MOT dates etc. Few extra quids gives even more. Worth a shot imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd be wary of those Ford Powershift auto gearboxes. Some of them can be troublesome and not cheap to put right either.

Advertisement