Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard E Grant says straight people should not play gay characters

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Everyone knew Rock Hudson was gay in the business it never stopped him working but had he come out his career would have been killed in a moment. Not because of bigotry in Hollywood but because of the assumed bigotry in the wider population, films with Hudson tended to be big releases and important to the bottom line so freaking out Mr and Mrs Middle America was never an option. He knew that as much as the head of production at Warners or Universal knew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Get Real

This is the kind of thinking that, ironically, is at complete odds with the progressive world he is trying to be.

Basically barring people from roles based on whether they're gay or straight. Just in this instance it's reversed and so is "positive" discrimination.

I also never got this regarding "cultural appropriation". I've no problem with condemning actual racism (as it should be) but a western woman wearing a Sari for example, isn't stealing someone's culture. It's a celebration of multiculturalism. Surely it's a good thing that we're willing to share each other's traditions. I'm not sure who is offended by it. For example, are we offended when people use the Shamrock or Harp, or get a tattoo of same? Of course not, they're free to do what they want and it's a positive thing that others want to engage with and celebrate another's culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Richard E Grant is most famous for playing Jesus in the biopic Jesus Christ Almighty. Jesus was a well known practicing homosexual who spend his whole life cavorting around with gangs of up to 12 men feeding them bread and calling them his 'apostles' as part of some weird kinky role play activity. When he wasn't nancying around in robes feeding them bread he was being worshiped by them regularly sometimes roped up on a cross. Does Grant now think the role should have gone to someone else?

Now, if Richard E Grant want's to be ridiculous I see no reason why I can't be either.

Get Real wrote: »
    This is the kind of thinking that, ironically, is at complete odds with the progressive world he is trying to be.

Basically barring people from roles based on whether they're gay or straight. Just in this instance it's reversed and so is "positive" discrimination.

I also never got this regarding "cultural appropriation". I've no problem with condemning actual racism (as it should be) but a western woman wearing a Sari for example, isn't stealing someone's culture. It's a celebration of multiculturalism. Surely it's a good thing that we're willing to share each other's traditions. I'm not sure who is offended by it. For example, are we offended when people use the Shamrock or Harp, or get a tattoo of same? Of course not, they're free to do what they want and it's a positive thing that others want to engage with and celebrate another's culture.

Totally agree with this. Should we be outraged when someone from Japan or Africa wears a suit and tie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

AllForIt wrote: »
    Richard E Grant is most famous for playing Jesus in the biopic Jesus Christ Almighty. Jesus was a well known practicing homosexual who spend his whole life cavorting around with gangs of up to 12 men feeding them bread and calling them his 'apostles' as part of some weird kinky role play activity. When he wasn't nancying around in robes feeding them bread he was being worshiped by them regularly sometimes roped up on a cross. Does Grant now think the role should have gone to someone else?

Now, if Richard E Grant want's to be ridiculous I see no reason why I can't be either.

Edgey. Razor sharp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Seamai wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish, though he is a bit of a ponce so it would be like second nature to him.

VcLriTLY_400x400.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

lol

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Wibbs wrote: »
    "Perfumed ponce"*... :D

I got a slap on the knuckles last night from a moderator called Beastie for referring to Richard E. Grant as a "Bit of a Ponce", I was told that the word ponce was "homophobic" yet I see in response to my comment this above was posted by someone else and is still there. While I'm all for moderation where appropriate this completely OTT. I sent a pretty stiff message back to the moderator concerned and told him in no uncertain terms where to go.
    As a middle aged queer (don't normally use that word to define myself but hopefully I'll get struck off for using it) man who put up with a fair amount of crap growing up in 70's and 80's Ireland I've been called a lot of names and ponce would have been at the milder end, I'm not remotely offended by the word.

The mods response smacks of virtue signalling in the extreme and is every bit as ridiculous as Grant's suggestion that gay characters should only be played by gay actors.

I see comments on this site in relation on far more serious matters that go unchecked. Do your job properly mods and don't assume you can speak for the likes of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Seamai wrote: »
    The mods response smacks of virtue signalling in the extreme

Maybe he just didn't get the reference? Not everyone has seen or remembers 'Withnail & I', I suppose.

Grant's bollocks talk on this matter is even all the more disingenuous, considering, in the very same movie, Richard Griffiths (straight as a die) played Uncle Monty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

My father summed it up nicely last night I thought "Professional Liar talking sheite ? Im shocked" . :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Whatever happened to you know ........ Acting ..... a part, role

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

What a load of bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

AllForIt wrote: »

Care to do a similar post on Mohammad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Kevin Bacon played a child molester in a film years ago. As far as I know he's never molested a child in real life. This is very problematic and offensive to paedophile actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Tony EH wrote: »
    Maybe he just didn't get the reference? Not everyone has seen or remembers 'Withnail & I', I suppose.

Grant's bollocks talk on this matter is even all the more disingenuous, considering, in the very same movie, Richard Griffiths (straight as a die) played Uncle Monty.

It's like a tide give in to it boy!

Advertisement