Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Radio in Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

You have two good choices. First, If you have Virgin cable in Dublin, there are analogue BBC FM signals for all BBC channels piped through the cable that can be picked up directly and connected to your FM aerial jack of your radio. This feature has been available in Dublin since 1974 when Virgin Media used to be called RTÉ Relays.

The other choice is picking up BBC radio using these antennas on MW and LW. They boost the signal enormously by just placing them close to the radio and tuning the knob on the antenna. They are passive and don't need batteries or power. The big one is the MW antenna, and the small one is the LW antenna. I have even picked up American and Canadian AM channels using these antennas. You can get them on AliExpress for a few quid. They are awesome.

I'm not sure that FM radio is still carried on Virgin Media cable anymore, or if it is its an extremely legacy service and may not be carried in all areas.

There was also FM radio on the old Cork Multichannel cable network in Cork City, which was apparently switched off when analogue cable services ended there quite some years ago at this stage. I haven't plugged a radio into the cable jack for a long time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think you may be able to get radio 4 on medium wave maybe or just go to the website bbc 4 fm on a phone or pc, tablet , you can listen to bbc 4 live or click on the previous days programs to hear them I used to listen to bbc radio 5 on medium wave before smartphones and apps were available

I think cricket on radio is usually on before 6 pm anyway for obvious reasons

I am listening to BBC Radio 2 now on analogue cable.

R1, R2, R3, R4, R5 Live, R6, BBC Radio Ulster all available on analogue FM frequencies via the cable In Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

The first four plus Radio Ulster can be picked up loud and clear on FM on the car radios around the north-east (Louth, east Meath).

In some parts of Dublin, Radio 3 can be picked up weakly on 92.0FM , especially when weekend pirate Retro FM is not on, and Radio 4 can be picked up on 96.0FM, battling with weekend pirate ABC 80s in some areas. I think Radio 1 can also sometimes be picked up around 99.7FM.

Post edited by Declan A Walsh on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

if you have an old UPC box hooked up to a TV.. the Radio menu still works if you don't want to use an FM tuner.

But the quality of the digital BBC channels from the UPC digital box are very poor indeed, 90 kbps I think. Very hard on the ears, worse than AM.

The analogue BBC FM signals coming from the Virgin cable are far superior.

Full frequency range and no digital artefacts.

Well worth directly hooking up the Virgin cable to your FM receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

BBC Sounds App is brilliant.

I listen to BBC4 Extra all day and the app is far superior to the website

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

sure it would also depend what you are feeding it through? a hifi or amplified speakers?

The Apple 4k boxes using radio.net, linked to a TV and then a soundbar / a hifi amp also works great

Hmm I’ll check at some stage. Haven’t got a radio that’s capable of being plugged into coax anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,838 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Looks like you can only get BBC radio in high quality via iPlayer so you need to be in the UK or have a VPN that is not blocked by iPlayer:

You can get BBC radio stations at a lower bit rate via Freesat satellite or through a variety of internet radio apps. I use Replaio Radio on android, which I found good enough I paid for it.

I have an LG smart TV with a freesat tuner so I can get BBC radio stations via the satellite dish or via the internet using the TV's web browser and a site like https://onlineradiobox.com/search?q=BBC

The TV outputs audio to an external 2.1 stereo sound system with a couple of amps, speakers and a subwoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Just listen to it directly from my phone, to be honest, the sound is great. Not like you're in a concert hall :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

All the main BBC radio stations, including Radio Ulster and the World Service, are available on the Radio Garden app/platform. It also includes a number of local BBC stations.

A crocodile clip on the radios FM antenna will do the trick if there is no FM antenna socket to your radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,902 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It seems BBC 5 Live doesn't work on the BBC Sounds App any more, I normally listen to football games on it. Anyone know what happened? It says it's not available in this area but I was able to listen to all matches last season and the Euros.

Rights issues I assume

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Or a TV with a DVBC tuner (which would be most new ones, a decade or so of LG and maybe five years back or so for Samsung) - RTE1 TV SD and the radio channels are not encrypted.

Advertisement