Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Radio in Dublin

Options
  • 29-11-2019 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Is there a way to receive the BBC radio channels in Dublin?
    What sort of radio would be most user friendly if they have to switch between FM and potentially DAB for BBC Radio?

thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

GodlikeRed wrote: »
    Hi folks,

What sort of radio would be most user friendly if they have to switch between FM and potentially DAB for BBC Radio?

thanks,
    DAB coverage is like FM; if you're not close enough to a transmitter, you won't get a signal. You'd be better off streaming it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

Hi folks,

thanks,

You won’t get the BBC stations on DAB in Dublin, A good car radio can get them on FM but as for a house I’d be putting a small dipole in the attic or on the roof to receive them unless you’re on a height.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

There's an app called The Radio (blue background and a white speaker icon in the middle).
    Download it (it's free) onto your phone/ device, select all the BBC stations you want and listen via your bluetooth speaker whilst in the house, or via bluetooth in your car.
    That's what I've done for years - it's perfect.
    I ended up buying an ipod 6th Gen for €60 off adverts, just to have the app/ ipod + bluetooth speaker as a radio at home so I didn't have to use my phone all the time.
    I connect my phone to listen to BBC radio when in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

If you have a Vigin media TV package they come with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

BBC have an official i player radio app that you can use. Its an international one so no region restrictions. Just search iplayer radio and you should get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You won’t get the BBC stations on DAB in Dublin, A good car radio can get them on FM but as for a house I’d be putting a small dipole in the attic or on the roof to receive them unless you’re on a height.

A cautionary note on erecting an aerial in the Dublin region to pick up BBC FM from NI...

I used to be able to get BBC R2 from Divis on 90.1 MHz in the car but that frequency is now used by Spirit Radio from Bray Head.

For home listening, I use a retired Android phone connected to my house Wi-Fi and a Bluetooth speaker. There's plenty of radio apps out there but for BBC radio, I use the 'BBC iPlayer Radio' app (links below) which allows you to store a widget (app icon) on your home screen for any or all of the individual stations.

Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bbc.globaliplayerradio.international&gl=IE

iTunes: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/bbc-iplayer/id416580485

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

I find that a simple horizontal dipole can work wonders at reducing the co-channel noise from local Irish stations, which are usually vertically polarised.
    The signals from Camlough near Newry are considerably stronger than Divis in North County Dublin, but it's all about location.
    In the summer months the higher powered transmitters across the water can fade in and out most days, but they almost vanish totally in the Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mariomaker

Use Tune In Radio on your smartphone and send it to any bluetooth speaker or device.

Alternatively, you might find a smart speaker like Google Home at a good price over the holidays. The sound quality from Google Home Mini is particularly good. I'd buy another one if I found it for €40 or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I rather suspect that the OP is looking for sports coverage that's usually geoblocked.
    There's a way to get the channels on the Sky satellite network that will let you listen through your TV without any regional restrictions you have to go to "other channels" section on a Sky box and manual tune in the station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

jrmb wrote: »
    Alternatively, you might find a smart speaker like Google Home at a good price over the holidays. The sound quality from Google Home Mini is particularly good. I'd buy another one if I found it for €40 or less.
    They are currently only €34 in Currys for the 2nd gen, and €24 for the 1st gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

flazio wrote: »
    I rather suspect that the OP is looking for sports coverage that's usually geoblocked.

5Live is on 693, 909 and 990 KHz AM. Worth storing all three on the car radio and pick the one with best coverage on the day.

990 KHz is a relatively weak signal from Wales but sometimes comes through clearer than the others.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

coylemj wrote: »
    5Live is on 693, 909 and 990 KHz AM. Worth storing all three on the car radio and pick the one with best coverage on the day.

990 KHz is a relatively weak signal from Wales but sometimes comes through clearer than the others.
    990 has the big benefit of having one R5L transmitter on frequency. At night on 693/909 you are receiving many transmitters and the dreaded echo.

Same story down here in Cork, at night 693 and 909 can get quite echo-y, but clear reception of BBC Radio 4 on 756 from Redruth

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭GodlikeRed

Thanks all, for the replies.
    Its for my mother, I think the google home mini might do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭LiveRadio.ie

At home, I listen BBC stations on Roberts portable radio daily.

At the office I prefer www.LiveRadio.ie platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Antenna

MW, LW as well as local FM and DAB receivable in Dublin listed here, though with some inflated transmission powers stated (such as spirit and talksport):

http://radiomap.eu/ie/dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 39 paulod123

The issues using any of the internet apps for BBC coverage is the football and Cricket is not broadcast due to rights restrictions. This is the main reason I listen to BBC which is usually BBC 5 Live and BBC 4 LW. I ended up installing a Satellite dish and a freesat box all for less than 70 euros and now I can get all the BBC radio stations with no rights restrictions. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pete Best

Mariomaker wrote: »
    Use Tune In Radio on your smartphone and send it to any bluetooth speaker or device.

Unfortunately, all BBC stations were removed from Tune In last year.

The best app for BBC Radio stations is the Radioplayer. Currently, nothing is geo blocked, though that could.change next year.

If your car has Bluetooth, connect your phone to the audio system, store the stations in the favourites section, and you can change channel using the up down buttons on the steering wheel. Really handy. I use the Irish Radioplayer, which is very similar to the U.K. version, for RTE, Newstalk, etc.

Last time I was in Greystones I could receive BBC Radio on FM with a simple basic radio, so I’d imagine some of the higher parts of the city should be able to receive either the north Wales transmitter sites or Divis.

BBC Radio Wales on MW should be pretty strong, along with Radio Ulster, Radio 4 Long Wave, and 5 Live from Lisnagarvey.

Other options are via satellite on Sky or Freesat.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eguiney

Pete Best wrote: »
    Unfortunately, all BBC stations were removed from Tune In last year.

The good news is that they only removed them in the UK. The BBC stations still work here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Lovenova

Hi folks,

thanks,
    BBC iPlayer for radio app is no longer geo blocked and works in Ireland . Other than occasional blocks on sports, all main station are available. Another good app is UK RADIO

• Advertisement

eguiney wrote: »
    The good news is that they only removed them in the UK. The BBC stations still work here.
    Yes, I listen to the World Service on TuneIn every day.

Google Home will automatically select the BBC Sounds stream of BBC stations, and TuneIn for anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Nick Grimshaw is leaving BBC Radio 1 after 14 years, six of which were on Breakfast. His show will be taken over by Jordan North & Vick Hope

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I use tunein radio app on my phone.

A good internet radio is the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

For home use may I recommend the Roberts 93i, Roberts 94i, or later versions & variations, Revo Superconnect is also a beauty if a tad expensive!

Other brands and models are available.

DAB Radios are not an option.

Up until a few years ago you could drive around south Dublin and listen to BBC Radio 2 loud and clear (atmospherics depending), but then Spirit Radio came along and both BBC Radio 2 FM frequencies were given to them, and that was the end of that ........

Radio 4 'Long Wave' has always been another option but the signal is dire at the best of times, so yes, I agree with the previous poster, get the Tunein App on your Smart phone, or download BBC Sounds which is top drawer quality > plug it into the car stereo and you're smiling :)

They start broadcasting on other stations late at night.

You could try radio wales on 882 (or the others radio scotland radio 4 etc) for a clearer signal if you are driving late.

For home use may I recommend the Roberts 93i, Roberts 94i, or later versions & variations, Revo Superconnect is also a beauty if a tad expensive!

Other brands and models are available.

DAB Radios are not an option.

Up until a few years ago you could drive around south Dublin and listen to BBC Radio 2 loud and clear (atmospherics depending), but then Spirit Radio came along and both BBC Radio 2 FM frequencies were given to them, and that was the end of that ........

Radio 4 'Long Wave' has always been another option but the signal is dire at the best of times, so yes, I agree with the previous poster, get the Tunein App on your Smart phone, or download BBC Sounds which is top drawer quality > plug it into the car stereo and you're smiling :)

the 198 lw signal used to be really good. I don;t know what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,672 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

They start broadcasting on other stations late at night.

You could try radio wales on 882 (or the others radio scotland radio 4 etc) for a clearer signal if you are driving late.

Radio 4 carries the World Service from 1 am to 5.20 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I think BBC Radio 4 on 198 LW had some upgrades in work on the transmitter. Whether they reduced power or not, I don't know. I think, once I've heard that they plan to review the BBC LW transmission some time in 2022, however I am not certain about that. Often it seems I am the only BBC Radio 4 listener left on LW.

In parts of North Dublin BBC Radio 1 can be picket up on 99.7 and BBC Radio 2 on 90.1, however this signal tends to be weaker. I think that's Divis in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i used to listen to bbc 4 on longwave and bbc radio 5 on medium wave ,now i just go to the bbc websites on chrome browser ,it can listen live or listen to previous programs .

i think some other bbc stations can be listened on medium wave ,

if you do not want to install an app on your phone.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl7j

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I listen to BBC 4 on longwave when away from wifi. I have an ancient tiny radio and it works perfectly on the earphones.

I also get very good coverage on the car radio on LW.

Problem is that LW is used for cricket regularly. I use google when at home and tune in app sometimes to get FM.

Advertisement