Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-purchase surveys

Options
  • 06-11-2019 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

How necessary are pre-purchase surveys for cheap but old GRP cruisers that have been happily plying the waters without any apparent issues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Insurance companies may require them and it world also depend on the type and size of boat your buying. If your buying a 25 foot old wooden gaffer you might want one as stuff isn't always visible to the eye when going for a look where as a small run about speed boat in fibreglass you mightnt care

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

For a cruiser I would 100% get one.

As said above for a small fishing boat or speed boat you can suss out most of the issues but for something like a cruiser you need to know what you are looking for. Over a certain value your insurance will want to see one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Anyone have an indication of price ?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭deaglan1

To have the boat lifted & put back in water - €300
    The Inspection itself €300-400
    Plus, if necessary, inspector travel and accommodation costs

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If you know nothing about boats its well worth getting a pro to look at it for you " the cheeper the boat the more expensive to repair "

11705282_839397752812405_1432653344097478595_n_zps4ev3ix7r.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Pm me. I know a surveyor who can give you a quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Thanks Steve. I'm considering a boat that's for sale at the moment, have not yet made a decision. I've never used a surveyor on past purchases, the boats were either known to me or too cheap to warrant the expenditure on a survey. If I go ahead I'll PM you. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

No worries p.
    I'll more than likely see him this weekend so if you want to send me some details I could get a ballpark figure. He's based in Howth.

Advertisement