Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekends boxing 02/11 Taylor v Linardatou, Canelo vs Kovalev

Options
  • 01-11-2019 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭

Decent weekend of Boxing on 'normal' Sky Sports

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,705 ✭✭✭✭walshb

From being a huge supporter and champion for Katie in the amateurs, I ave next to no real interest in her pro journey.......it's just boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

I generally don't like women's boxing but she's been in a couple of decent scraps. I think the raw novice pro that fought Katie in York Hall showed how to beat her. Massive pressure and rough her up. Going up in weight even more so. She's no power to keep big fit physical women off her.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Surprised Katie weighed in at almost 140lbs, I'd say that's her natural 'walk around' weight..
    Her opponent started at Featherweight so will be no bigger than her anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Eddie was never going to risk his big name against a big super lightweight. Well matched

Surprised Katie weighed in at almost 140lbs, I'd say that's her natural 'walk around' weight..
    Her opponent started at Featherweight so will be no bigger than her anyway.

Why surprised?

The fight is at 140....she didn’t have to cut as much this time.

She walks around low to mid 140s....just training hard and not having to worry too much about diet...

• Advertisement

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Eddie was never going to risk his big name against a big super lightweight. Well matched

Things is none of the Super lightweights are big.

The other Belt holders (McCaskill and Bustos) are past KT victims who moved up.

walshb wrote: »
    Why surprised?

The fight is at 140....she didn’t have to cut as much this time.

She walks around low to mid 140s....just training hard and not having to worry too much about diet...

For her first few pro fights (where there was no weight to make) she was coming in at 132.
    I've mate Katie before and she is tiny, doesn't look 140+lbs.

But yes, not saying she is out of shape or anything, she looked her normal self on the scales.

For her first few pro fights (where there was no weight to make) she was coming in at 132.
    I've mate Katie before and she is tiny, doesn't look 140+lbs.

But yes, not saying she is out of shape or anything, she looked her normal self on the scales.

She is on record saying she walks around 142 or so...

She doesn’t just make 135 without effort...

Hence she was obviously going to be several lbs heavier than 135 lbs when fighting for a 140 lbs belt..

5 lbs is nothing, considering your weight without watching it can fluctuate 4-6 lbs in a day for an average sized person..

Canelo 174.5 with a six pack and his watch on.

Kovalev after stripping off is 1/4lb over, looked surpised to be overweight.

I heard read there is a 10lb re-hydration clause. Canelo is smart.

Kovalev made weight a few minutes later. Can't have been a big problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Rehydration could be key in this one. Set up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    I generally don't like women's boxing but she's been in a couple of decent scraps. I think the raw novice pro that fought Katie in York Hall showed how to beat her. Massive pressure and rough her up. Going up in weight even more so. She's no power to keep big fit physical women off her.

Easier said than done for most.
    McCaskill was probably better than credited.
    Since the Taylor loss she's picked up 2 World titles at 140lbs and would be regarded as the #1 at the weight.

Persoon is able to do it, bit she's an exceptional fighter. There may not be another female fighter at 135-140 lbd who could do to Taylor what Persoon did......maybe Chantelle Cameron.

Persoon is horribly awkward and crude...

Her style may have caused Katie issues, because Katie has no power, and is not all that physically strong...

Barring this, she’s far from exceptional..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Persoon is horribly awkward and crude...

Her style may have caused Katie issues, because Katie has no power, and is not all that physically strong...

Barring this, she’s far from exceptional..

Out of curiosity what standard do you measure against? No power, no strength relative to whom?

Out of curiosity what standard do you measure against? No power, no strength relative to whom?

She's not without her flaws, but compared to the women in the divisions around her, exceptional is exactly how I'd define Delfine Persoon.
    The fact she can make Super-Featherweight with her frame makes it even more impressive !

No real standard...the women’s scene is just not all that good...

Never said she had no strength...

From all I have ever seen from Katie inside a boxing ring, both pro and amateur, and looking at all her traits, her physical strength and her punch power score low for me.

Hey, may not be low enough for it to be exposed over 10 x 2 min rds...

Another area where she seems a little weak is cardio stamina. Fit, no doubt, but again, over 10 x 2...I think if rds were 12 x 3, Katie could really suffer.

Big Ears wrote: »
    She's not without her flaws, but compared to the women in the divisions around her, exceptional is exactly how I'd define Delfine Persoon.
    The fact she can make Super-Featherweight with her frame makes it even more impressive !

From following Taylor's fights the two stsnd outs to me have been persoon and Mira potkonen going back to the amateurs. The two hardest, toughest fights she had but, i mean, its not as if Taylor is all that far behind in terms of power or strength. At least to my mind anyway.

From following Taylor's fights the two stsnd outs to me have been persoon and Mira potkonen going back to the amateurs. The two hardest, toughest fights she had but, i mean, its not as if Taylor is all that far behind in terms of power or strength. At least to my mind anyway.

Her toughest fight, and where her lack of stamina and strength showed was a fight v Queen Underwood in the semis of WCs back in 2010 I think was the year...

Don’t get me wrong, she’s fit, strong, fast and everything else; just physical strength, power and stamina are three low scoring areas that I see.

Her toughest fight, and where her lack of stamina and strength showed was a fight v Queen Underwood in the semis of WCs back in 2010 I think was the year...

Don’t get me wrong, she’s fit, strong, fast and everything else; just physical strength, power and stamina are three low scoring areas that I see.

Which she won lets not forget...a war from opening bell to last. The hardest fight was potkonen in rio, we didnt give the winner enough credit at the time. I get what you are saying but this seems all relative to me. These fighters can give her problems with their style but i dont see them as being that more powerful or physically imposing than Taylor tbh.

Which she won lets not forget...a war from opening bell to last. The hardest fight was potkonen in rio, we didnt give the winner enough credit at the time. I get what you are saying but this seems all relative to me. These fighters can give her problems with their style but i dont see them as being that more powerful or physically imposing than Taylor tbh.

I had Katie a winner in Rio...

It was her hardest fight in terms of difficulty to get the win. It was not near her hardest in the physical tough sense...

• Advertisement

I had Katie a winner in Rio...

It was her hardest fight in terms of difficulty to get the win. It was not near her hardest in the physical tough sense...

I didnt but thats by the by. I just think in hindsight we focused exclusively on taylor and didnt give potkonen enough credit. I dont necessarily think Taylor underperformed, she came up against an opponent ready to go up a level. I watched potkonen ko an experienced fighter at the world champs recently, shes as tough and strong as what's there imo. Surprised she only got bronze in the end admittedly!

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Rehydration could be key in this one. Set up

Could be. Maybe the 10 lbs will suit SK instead of hindering him..

Sometimes a large weight gain post weigh in can “hurt” a fighter...

10 lbs of good, efficient and smart rehydration could be exactly what SK needs, as opposed to say, many more lbs just for the sake of it!

Bakole looking good 2 fights in a row now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,723 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Terri harpers opponent is a nutter

Bakole looking good 2 fights in a row now.

I didn't see his fight tonight, but his recent form is showing two things for me.
    1. He's definitely improving and while I don't expect him to challenge at the top he's a solid heavyweight fighter.
    2. How good Michael Hunter is, a lovely boxer who's size will probably let him down against the Elite, but he can beat any sub elite guy out there.

Big Ears wrote: »
    I didn't see his fight tonight, but his recent form is showing two things for me.
    1. He's definitely improving and while I don't expect him to challenge at the top he's a solid heavyweight fighter.
    2. How good Michael Hunter is, a lovely boxer who's size will probably let him down against the Elite, but he can beat any sub elite guy out there.

I think Bakole has more potential than that. I remember there was some issue coming into the Hunter fight. Was Hunter a last minute replaement?

Bakole is big and strong and can both box and bang. Has decent foorwork too.

Agree on Hunter but he lost to Usyk in the cruisers and Usyk is a much bigger man than Hunter. Hunter is an inch shorter and looks flabby at 215lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭megadodge

I'm a little surprised at the 'forgone conclusion' feel there seems to be about the Kovalev fight. I really feel this will be a close affair.

If nothing else the size difference is pretty serious. Canelo isn't exactly a big middleweight and Kovalev is a big unit at light-heavy. Kovalev's jab is still one of, if not the best in the whole of boxing and while Canelo is a good puncher I don't think he'll be hurting Kovalev with any singles. Canelo's ability to counter Kovalev's jab could be the winning or losing of the fight. Kovalev has a high output and hits very hard and Canelo can be sparing enough with the punch output...

I'm not saying Kovalev is definitely going to win (I've predicted Canelo in the other thread), but I'm surprised nobody seems to be giving him a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

megadodge wrote: »
    I'm a little surprised at the 'forgone conclusion' feel there seems to be about the Kovalev fight. I really feel this will be a close affair.

If nothing else the size difference is pretty serious. Canelo isn't exactly a big middleweight and Kovalev is a big unit at light-heavy. Kovalev's jab is still one of, if not the best in the whole of boxing and while Canelo is a good puncher I don't think he'll be hurting Kovalev with any singles. Canelo's ability to counter Kovalev's jab could be the winning or losing of the fight. Kovalev has a high output and hits very hard and Canelo can be sparing enough with the punch output...

I'm not saying Kovalev is definitely going to win (I've predicted Canelo in the other thread), but I'm surprised nobody seems to be giving him a chance.

A close affair means that Canelo definitely wins on the cards or at worst gets a draw though. Thats why finding an avenue for Kovalev to win is so difficult. I think Canelo will win on the cards fair and square this time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭megadodge

Morrison J wrote: »
    A close affair means that Canelo definitely wins on the cards or at worst gets a draw though. Thats why finding an avenue for Kovalev to win is so difficult. I think Canelo will win on the cards fair and square this time anyway.

I'm talking about the way nobody seems to be giving Kovalev a real chance. I think he has one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

That Harper fight was great, will she be battering Taylor in a year or so, I’m wondering

Advertisement