Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Full Ironman in cork next year

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

McCrystal doing well. The lack of swim could be good for him, will have him off the bike possibly in the top 3 then he just has to run for his life. He'd usually be behind for the swim.

It could be a pro and a con the runners in the group will have that bit more energy it will be interesting to see if Brownlee blows up he's aggressive on the bike and gives it everything on the run.

Just watching on their Live stream and they're trying to portray it as pretty but it's a manky day there will be some very cold age groupers coming in later on. I'd say DNF's will be very high.

As for the swim looking at that clip above it was probably the right choice as unfortunately they have to cater to the weakest swimmers, although they'd never admit that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

No different to them all doing a 3.8k swim really if it is circa 2 hours.

https://imgur.com/a/DyYEzZz swim doesn't look all that bad from here:pac:
    DyYEzZz

You're not standing in the cold and wet if you are swimming. Wet yes but you should be warm. Those waiting must be freezing. If not they will cook 20 minutes into the bike

Feel sorry for all, guy that works with me was doing this as his first and he said during the week that he was going to be seriously pi$$ed if they even shortened the swim. He trained for an Ironman that's what he wanted. Real shame for anyone on their first.

Watching the footage, good to see lots treating it as their usual Sunday morning spin, rolling around in a group with their mates.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

mossym wrote: »
    You're not standing in the cold and wet if you are swimming. Wet yes but you should be warm. Those waiting must be freezing. If not they will cook 20 minutes into the bike

Just said the same here. Those still waiting to start must be freezing. I was just thinking of Tyrone there a while ago. That was carnage for a half because none of us where prepared for cold weather on the bike. See people there on coverage going out in just tri-suits. I don't think they will make it to 180.
    Watching the footage, good to see lots treating it as their usual Sunday morning spin, rolling around in a group with their mates.

lol - thinking the same here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Flashbacks to Eireman in Courtown here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

What an absolute p!sser for a serious first timer.
    But I'm sure the good people of Ironman will allow a reduced entry to another event.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

I also feel sorry for all the tattoo shops in Cork that would have made a fortune doing Ironman logos on people over the next few days....

Too soon??

What an absolute p!sser for a serious first timer.
    But I'm sure the good people of Ironman will allow a reduced entry to another event.......

it's an absolute pi$$er for everyone out there today looking at the footage.

i hate to see this. got asked so many times over the last year why i wasn't doing this, my honest answer was to do all the training to run the risk that you would end up suffering through a cold wet miserable day in ireland (as they did in challenge galway a few years back) didn't appeal to me. hoped it wouldn't turn out like this, having seeing the build up all week i was actually thinking about next year, but this is one instance where you hate seeing your instincts validated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

mloc123 wrote: »
    Flashbacks to Eireman in Courtown here...

Oh dear god...no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Walked by the shore a few minutes ago, absolutely right call about cancelling. You'd be risking the lives of boat crews, never mind the weaker swimmers. Huge swells.

• Advertisement

Ignorant question -
    How does a cancelled swim affect Kona qualification?
    Brownlee was talking about winning Kona during the week. Might be just promotional fluff, but just curious

Ignorant question -
    How does a cancelled swim affect Kona qualification?
    Brownlee was talking about winning Kona during the week. Might be just promotional fluff, but just curious

It all remains the same slots are still allocated. I believe there's 40 up for grabs in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Bryan McCrystal is crushing the bike course, hopefully he can pull out some more time.

Im enjoying the coverage. Crowds look great considering the weather.
    Windmill hill looks like some craic haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

where can i get live times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    where can i get live times?

There's an Ironman app but you only get updates as they pass through checkpoints

TheBazman wrote: »
    There's an Ironman app but you only get updates as they pass through checkpoints

any website?

• Advertisement

any website?

If you're on facebook they have a live feed running on Ironman now The tracker is an app you get in the app store

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    If you're on facebook they have a live feed running on Ironman now The tracker is an app you get in the app store

im not on facebook but i have a live feed there, thanks folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭brock92

https://www.facebook.com/IRONMANnow/

any website?

http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman/cork/#axzz5rfCqgtYS

click on Live now brings up the tracker

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reidman

https://www.corkcoco.ie/en/news/ironman-ireland-cork-live-stream

I’d take a full swim and the rest over what they’re going through today - best to everyone out on the course looks tough - get to the finish 💪💪💪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

im not on facebook but i have a live feed there, thanks folks

This link is working for me.
    https://track.rtrt.me/e/IRM-IRELAND-2019#/map

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

Really disappointed in the Ironman coverage of Bryan McCrystal. The weather conditions have clearly caused technical issues with the cameras following the pros as Bryan has not featured on screen at all. Surely Ironman have the money to waterproof their equipment ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Shedite27

TriFirst wrote: »
    Really disappointed in the Ironman coverage of Bryan McCrystal. The weather conditions have clearly caused technical issues with the cameras following the pros as Bryan has not featured on screen at all. Surely Ironman have the money to waterproof their equipment ?

Think it’s the motorbike that’s having trouble with the toad conditions and keeping up with him.

He’s gonna have a 10 minute lead going into the run.

Looks like the others are taking no chances on the road conditions, McCrystal putting the hammer down

How many years of a contract have Ironman signed for Cork ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

If I'd known it was going to be a duathlon I'd have entered. (Can't swim!!:()
    Conditions look fairly rough though, so perhaps not.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

How many years of a contract have Ironman signed for Cork ?

Three.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Three.

Its deeply unfortunate that they weather has been so bad. The coverage has been poor too, sadly not a great advert for Ireland or Ironman as brands.

Its deeply unfortunate that they weather has been so bad. The coverage has been poor too, sadly not a great advert for Ireland or Ironman as brands.

Yeah wouldnt mind seeing the front of the race at some point

Anybody know how much of a lead BMC had out of T2 Brownlee is taking the best part of 5 min off BMC through 10km.

7 mins through 15km Brownlee is flying it, will he blow up though?

It would also help to know the order of starting. How much of a head start had Brownlee over BMC? Looking at the predicted finishes Brownlee looks to have it in the bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭brock92

Anybody know how much of a lead BMC had out of T2 Brownlee is taking the best part of 5 min off BMC through 10km

http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/coverage/athlete-tracker.aspx?race=cork&y=2019#/leaderboard/top-pro-men-ironman/T2

• Advertisement

Looking at the app, BMCs total race time is about 7 seconds more than Brownlee's.
    Brownlee running at a much faster pace.

So BMC had 17 min lead on AB out of T2 - transitions the same 3:04

AB had taken 10-11 mins out of BMC through 20km so BMC definitely losing time although more likely AB spurred on by seeing him on the out and back run.

AB has also passed Thomschke.

Now to figure out the start interval times but it can only be mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

With the swim being cancelled are there still qualifying positions for Kona?

With the swim being cancelled are there still qualifying positions for Kona?

Yes, theyre still the same

Just heard BMC was out on bike ahead of AB so anything within 4 mins of BMC should see AB win on adjusted time. I don't think it'll come to that though. AB looks so light on his feet BMC looks to be suffering

I think the commentators said that Brownlee started 11th? Was it 10 second intervals they started in so most that can be in it is a couple of minutes? Whether Brownlee has the legs for a marathon will be the difference perhaps.

I think the commentators said that Brownlee started 11th? Was it 10 second intervals they started in so most that can be in it is a couple of minutes? Whether Brownlee has the legs for a marathon will be the difference perhaps.

I think someone said 30s intervals

Think AB may already be leading and he's very close to passing BMC on the course

Facebook live feed has AB as virtual leader by 30secs at 30km

• Advertisement

Brownlee passes McCrystal .. not that the Ironman coverage caught it

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

He'll finish well ahead of McCrystal by the finish

That was crazy, AB was about 15m behind him about to pass and they change to the womens leader :confused:

Chris871 wrote: »
    That was crazy, AB was about 15m behind him about to pass and they change to the womens leader :confused:

The coverage has been beyond poor, as I said combined with the 'technical difficulties' of basically not waterproofing transmission equipment and the dreadful weather it has been a poor advert for Ironman sadly. I feel the most for Bryan mccrystal who led the race for most of the day on his home turf and yet it wasnt even caught on camera. Ironman are a disgrace.

Hard luck to Bryan, he gave it everything on the bike and to finish second to Brownlee was immense !!!

The coverage has been beyond poor, as I said combined with the 'technical difficulties' of basically not waterproofing transmission equipment and the dreadful weather it has been a poor advert for Ironman sadly. I feel the most for Bryan mccrystal who led the race for most of the day on his home turf and yet it wasnt even caught on camera. Ironman are a disgrace.

i'm guessing this is the first coverage you have watched?

i'm not surprised they had difficulties, how much is the government about to drop on rolling out broadband coverage to give coverage to remote areas, like the areas they were cycling through today?

agree it's a shame they had issues, but if you had watched any in the past you'd know that was a serious improvement over their prior efforts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

but you are aware that AB took the lead much earlier as started the race 4.30 or so min behind bryan ... and they where rougly on the ball when that happend.

so bryan still good lead coverage when he was technicaly not leading anymore.

I am not saying coverage was good ( i dont quite understand why they show a race with the lowest price money possible when they had a stellar field at euro 70.3 champs that had a much higher price money and deeper field) but I still like to point out the facts.

peter kern wrote: »
    but you are aware that AB took the lead much earlier as started the race 4.30 or so min behind bryan ... and they where rougly on the ball when that happend.

so bryan still good lead coverage when he was technicaly not leading anymore.

I am not saying coverage was good ( i dont quite understand why they show a race with the lowest price money possible when they had a stellar field at euro 70.3 champs that had a much higher price money and deeper field) but I still like to point out the facts.

What was the prize money? couldnt find that anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Chris871 wrote: »
    What was the prize money? couldnt find that anywhere.

15 000 $ in total. apology that's the 70.3 it was 40 000
    I think elsmore 70.3 was 75 000 ( that's correct)

I see the bad mouthing has already started on other forums. That wasnt an Ironman the Kona places should've been withheld, they cant call themselves triathletes etc etc:pac:

i'm guessing this is the first coverage you have watched?

i'm not surprised they had difficulties, how much is the government about to drop on rolling out broadband coverage to give coverage to remote areas, like the areas they were cycling through today?

agree it's a shame they had issues, but if you had watched any in the past you'd know that was a serious improvement over their prior efforts.

Broadband width in rural Ireland had nothing to do with Ironman's transmission issues. The organisers would have had a satellite link from the motorcyclists relaying the feed back to a central HQ I presume in Youghal. The problem was the feed kept going down because of the wet conditions affecting the transmission equipment on the bikes, nothing to do with broadband at all.

I have watched other Ironman branded races this was the worst yet for coverage. I cant understand a company / brand worth upwards of 1 billion dollars having such basic issues with their broadcast. Ironman need to hire an experienced sports TV director so they can do the sport and the competitors justice with some proper coverage. Triathlon is a sport that needs all the help it can get to grow, that coverage today did Ireland and the sport of Triathlon a disservice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement