Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't Have Protein Shakes... Should I Take BCAA?

Options
  • 24-11-2019 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been to a few different nutritionists lately and it turns out I am intolerant to the following:

- Dairy
    - Red Meat
    - Peas (highly intolerant at that)

Nutritionists and intolerances to the side... i've tried Soya protein shakes and they literally turn to cement when I put them in a nutri-bullet... I have to eat the protein shake with a spoon... in which I have given up on.

I have, however started consuming more whole proteins from vegetables, nuts, seeds, along with chicken and fish, however I miss the convenience of a protein shake after the gym.

Would a BCAA drink do much as a replacement for a whey protein shake?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

paul7g wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been to a few different nutritionists lately and it turns out I am intolerant to the following:

- Dairy
    - Red Meat

Nutritionists and intolerances to the side... i've tried Soya protein shakes and they literally turn to cement when I put them in a nutri-bullet... I have to eat the protein shake with a spoon... in which I have given up on.

I have, however started consuming more whole proteins from vegetables, nuts, seeds, along with chicken and fish, however I miss the convenience of a protein shake after the gym.

BCAAs are not the same as whey protein. Whey has a broad spectrum of amino acids. BCAAs are three specific amino acids.

Add more liquid to the soy protein shake and it'll be less thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭paul7g

Thanks Alf, I’ve tried more water and it just seems to become incredibly thick.

Plus, I hear Soy protein can give you man boobs? :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i don't find the soya that thick in a shaker - might be worth a try

bluewolf wrote: »
    i don't find the soya that thick in a shaker - might be worth a try

Any thoughts or concerns over the Estrogen in Soy protein?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

If by intolerant to dairy you mean Lactose Intolerant, than you should be fine with a 100% pure whey isolate. It's quite expensive, but worth it if you react badly to lactose. I'm lactose intolerant and use the Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydrowhey and suffer no symptoms after it, compared to powders with whey concentrate which would cause sever bloating, cramps, and most of the day sitting on the toilet.

• Advertisement

anacc wrote: »
    If by intolerant to dairy you mean Lactose Intolerant, than you should be fine with a 100% pure whey isolate. It's quite expensive, but worth it if you react badly to lactose. I'm lactose intolerant and use the Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydrowhey and suffer no symptoms after it, compared to powders with whey concentrate which would cause sever bloating, cramps, and most of the day sitting on the toilet.

Thanks, I've been told I am dairy intolerant, and not just lactose, and believe or not, allergic to peas, so I've beeb struggling to find a suitable protein shake.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Thanks, I've been told I am dairy intolerant, and not just lactose, and believe or not, allergic to peas, so I've beeb struggling to find a suitable protein shake.

Generally a dairy intolerance is lactose intolerance, unless it’s a dairy allergy which is different. Did you get it verified by a registered dietitian? A dietitian is far more qualified than a nutritionist. In fact nutritionists don’t even have to be qualified, anybody can call themselves a nutritionist whereas a dietitian is like a doctor, it’s a protected title.

I spent a lot of time and money with doctors, consultants and gastroenterologists doing tests and trying medications, etc, trying to figure out what was wrong with me before being told just it’s IBS. I went to a dietitian who worked on an elimination diet with me and figured out that I’m lactose intolerant. I’d recommend paying the extra money to a dietitian rather than a nutritionist but YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Have you looked at Food Marble to see what you're intolerant to?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Any thoughts or concerns over the Estrogen in Soy protein?

not for me - think they're minor in men anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FoodC

You can try hemp seed protein powder. Hemp seeds are actually rich in micronutrients and The protein contained in hemp seeds is comparable to the amino acid composition of animal proteins, and thus, do not contain cholesterol and saturated fatty acids so maybe try it.
    Here is an article about hemp seeds: https://foodclinicdiet.com/cannabis-the-best-source-of-omega-acids-and-proteins-in-the-vegan-diet/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

https://www.bulkpowders.ie/organic-pumpkin-protein.html

Or ...
    Over time and if the training becomes harder, supplements can promote muscle growth. However, the paper also concludes that these changes have not been proven over the long term. A 2012 review paper further says that protein “increases physical performance, training recovery and lean body mass”… but for the benefit to be optimal, it should be in combination with a fast-acting carbohydrate.

But even if athletes and gym goers may benefit from a post-workout protein boost, that doesn’t mean they should reach for the supplements and smoothies. Most people get more than their daily recommended allowance from food, says Kevin Tipton, a sport professor of the University of Stirling. “There’s no need for anyone to have supplements. They’re a convenient way to get protein, but there’s nothing in supplements you can’t get in food. Protein bars are really just candy bars with a bit of extra protein.”

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20180522-we-dont-need-nearly-as-much-protein-as-we-consume

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

How is this testing carried out

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hi,

- Dairy
    - Red Meat

Just add more water, I know this was mentioned but keep adding water? I have them a lot and it's not thick at all. I don't blend it, just get a large container, and mix it with a spoon.

There are other types too that are non dairy, hemp etc, and there are blends. Check out the protein powder sites for those.

Advertisement