Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murphy apologises to a female put into a hotel

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

listermint wrote: »
    Theyre not already.? There are 4 times as many Airbnb listings as rental listings. Over 10,000 at last count in Dublin alone. Figures probably higher

Maybe those renting could be considered Houseless, but they probably wouldn't have time to launch a full media campaign on facebook etc etc and attend protests and all that. Better just keep goin to work bringing up the kids to be the best they can and try make a positive contribution to society and wait for ars*holes like murphy/Anti Accountability Alliance/Sinn Blame to house all the "Homeless":rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Maybe those renting could be considered Houseless, but they probably wouldn't have time to launch a full media campaign on facebook etc etc and attend protests and all that. Better just keep goin to work bringing up the kids to be the best they can and try make a positive contribution to society and wait for ars*holes like murphy/Anti Accountability Alliance/Sinn Blame to house all the "Homeless":rolleyes:

Sorry I don't understand your response to what I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Theyre not already.? There are 4 times as many Airbnb listings as rental listings. Over 10,000 at last count in Dublin alone. Figures probably higher

Airbnb premises are listed continuously, as it's a short term rental, probably 90% listed at any one time, probably less than5% of regular rentals listed at any one time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

sorry should have said I agree and it will only increase.

the rest was a separate point but relevant if those renting would then go from houseless to homeless

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Such a handy system, pop out a sprog or two, turn the waterworks for TV, hide the father's, free house in year or so worth 100000s of Euros.

Where's the bloody father why isn't he paying for the kids upkeep and accommodation too ?

We don't even know how long these people have been in Ireland .

Minister in 'charge' (really just keeping the seat warm ) does a show and dance.

Taxpayers getting up busting their arses for a days pay the have to hand over a big wedge of tax for these wasters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I think residential property ownership should not be an attractive investment for investors. And I don't see anything wrong with that viewpoint. There is no right to own property to rent to people so governments shouldn't make it easy or attractive. They have been doing both all over the place. Terrible policy.

Couldn't agree more. The whole 'buy to let' type of personal investment should be completely discouraged. When I hear 'landlords' complaining that rental income won't meet their mortgage repayments on the rentals, my ire rises. They basically want to acquire an asset of some value and get someone else to pay for it. If these people were driven from the market, then at very least more properties would be available for people who wish to buy and live in them. How often did we hear these people moan after the last crash, that their 'pensions' were gone and begging for debt forgiveness?

We need a rental market but if people want to run rental property businesses, well let them do it full time - and buy their properties from the current assets and income for their business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

bodyguard1 wrote: »
    I would like to hear more about her circumstances Mr Murphy claims she was ashamed to find herself in the situation of being homeless but was brave, bright and hopeful for the future.........then go out and get a job like the rest of us to support our family. I am sick of hearing about people with bleedin heart stories who feel that the World owes them something and that they are entitled to be housed by the State at the Taxpayers expense. I go out to work at 5.30am every day and work at a job that doesn't pay well and I am not mad about doing but hey I have a mortgage to pay and a wife and two kids to support and put through college and my wife does the same unfortunately we are not hopeful for the future as all of our take home pay goes on keeping a roof over our heads, paying or bills and taxes and putting food on the table and giving our kids a good education so that maybe they can make a better life for themselves in the future but cest la vie :mad:

I'd say that your story represents the majority in Ireland.
    However, your story does not line up with the slant that the liberal media is spinning. If we were to believe the likes of RTE, the homeless situation is akin to the 1847 famine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

I simply don't understand why people keep trying to argue over the definition of homeless and whether or not there's a crisis.

Fact is there's a housing problem if that sound better, doesn't really matter what it's called.

Another fact is that solving it is in the interest of the majority of people in this country.

The current high rents are simply because there are so many people competing for the same property. Sort out the social housing situation and these people aren't taking up private rentals, rent prices will fall. Private renters benefit, parents of adults who can't move out benefit, people on the housing list benefit. It's hard to see who doesn't benefit except landlords maybe.

Why do Irish people not see the benefits of coming together to solve a problem rather than judging and calling people names?

How does labelling people solve any problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I think there is a real forever-homeless crisis in the Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Quick way to get a house.

Why bother saving and working for years??
    So why haven't you availed of this get-a-house-quick scheme if it's so easy?
    Wow, so the 500,000 people renting are homeless!!
    A house and a home are not the same thing.
    Graces7 wrote: »
    Seriously internationally the term "homeless" means without a roof over your head. ie yes sleeping rough.
    This is just completely incorrect. There is no international agreement or consistency on what "homeless" means. In the US and in poor countries, "homeless" means living in the street.
    Throughout most of Europe, homeless refers to anyone without a permanent residence.

We're beyond a point where it's acceptable to say that so long as the streets are clear, then job done. This family of five are all living in a shoddy hotel room, hooray!

Eh, no. Yes, people used to live in tenements. And no, that wasn't OK. "People managed". That's a low bar for a modern society. Shouldn't we be aiming to ensure that everyone has a basic standard of living?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Graces7 wrote: »
    Then I am homeless. living in rented accommodation? This is not my home Given the state of rentals here, I could be thrown out for many reasons. Not a home in your esoteric meaning..
    Seriously inte
    rnationally the term "homeless" means without a roof over your head. ie yes sleeping rough.

Your figures will be skewed by the less accurate definition? You need also to find out if they incl ude as I seem to remember they do, those couch surfing and living with family?

If you're living with family, you can't register as homeless.
    If you're renting a place, then you can't register as homeless either.

And you're right our numbers are not accurate - they don't represent the true extent of our housing crisis. It is far worse than the 10,000 living in emergency accommodation and the hundreds of rough sleepers on the streets of our towns and cities every night.

Where has this crisis actually started? Like, where did it come from?

From what I can see, all those protesting, seem to be the layabout/hand-out type of person? These are the kind that have a child or two and get offered a council house in their area.

Is it just that Jacinta and her two fatherless children are not being offered houses they'd like anymore? Is that legitimately the reason behind this crisis?

I haven't heard anyone complaining about the lack of housing available to purchase privately, all I keep hearing is the Govt/Councils should be buying houses?

Is this entire saga actually just based around council tenants not getting offered houses? Or is that just the way it's being portrayed on boards?

As an aside, I know a woman, two kids (no father on the scene), and her rent is €25 per week. €100 per month. I'm living in an (arguably worse, more anti-social) estate next door to her, and I'm paying €670 per month on a mortgage (and that's after the Council gave me a discount on the house). Council will never entertain me again, but she recently had a brand new front door installed due to the previous one being draughty.

There are many times I wonder what I was thinking when I decided to buy this house, instead of buying a different house elsewhere, and then sticking my name down on the rent here and inheriting this from the Council after my Dad dies. Then I could rent it out for multiples of what I'm paying the Council, safe in the knowledge they haven't the manpower or neck to check on, or evict tenants.

Some of us (like me) are just born too honest, and stupid.

Where has this crisis actually started? Like, where did it come from?

From what I can see, all those protesting, seem to be the layabout/hand-out type of person? These are the kind that have a child or two and get offered a council house in their area.

Is it just that Jacinta and her two fatherless children are not being offered houses they'd like anymore? Is that legitimately the reason behind this crisis?

I haven't heard anyone complaining about the lack of housing available to purchase privately, all I keep hearing is the Govt/Councils should be buying houses?

Is this entire saga actually just based around council tenants not getting offered houses? Or is that just the way it's being portrayed on boards?

As an aside, I know a woman, two kids (no father on the scene), and her rent is €25 per week. €100 per month. I'm living in an (arguably worse, more anti-social) estate next door to her, and I'm paying €670 per month on a mortgage (and that's after the Council gave me a discount on the house). Council will never entertain me again, but she recently had a brand new front door installed due to the previous one being draughty.

There are many times I wonder what I was thinking when I decided to buy this house, instead of buying a different house elsewhere, and then sticking my name down on the rent here and inheriting this from the Council after my Dad dies. Then I could rent it out for multiples of what I'm paying the Council, safe in the knowledge they haven't the manpower or neck to check on, or evict tenants.

Some of us (like me) are just born too honest, and stupid.

You obviously don't read newspapers, watch the news or step out of Louth because there's a huge problem in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick with buying or renting houses.

It's funny how when it doesn't have any effect on someone's life they can simply ignore the fact that a problem exists.

BBFAN wrote: »
    You obviously don't read newspapers, watch the news or step out of Louth because there's a huge problem in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick with buying or renting houses.

It's funny how when it doesn't have any effect on someone's life they can simply ignore the fact that a problem exists.

I don't know what any of that means in relation to my post at all..?

I don't know what any of that means in relation to my post at all..?

You say you haven't heard anyone complain about the lack of housing to buy privately??

BBFAN wrote: »
    You say you haven't heard anyone complain about the lack of housing to buy privately??

I asked is the legitimate issue behind the crisis, that Council houses are not readily available, or is this simply a skewered portrayal of the issue being presented on Boards.

I am only hearing, constantly, that the local Councils need to buy more houses/land. There doesn't seem to be an equal (or even noticeable) crisis being presented for those that are looking to buy privately.

My post is more to find out if my general understanding of the issue is accurate. If so, I find it irritating as many people, who work hard and have got the money for a deposit, are actually unable to purchase houses that are being built, if they're simply being built for Council tenants.

To add to that, Louth does indeed have it's own local housing crisis, but, locally, it does only affect council tenants. There are a fair few (arguably overpriced) properties for sale. But there is also a lack of council housing to house council tenants. So private buyers are alright, but those relying on subsidised housing are down on their luck at the moment.

There is, however, an estate being built right beside the large riverside park in the town. A literal 5 minute walk to the bus station (handy for Dublin Commutes), and also 5 minutes strolling to the town centre. Fantastic views of the river boyne, a large local park with playground and skate park less than 3 minutes walk away, and Fire and Garda stations both within a 5 minute walk. Also being built along one of the towns most popular walking trails.

These houses are council houses, so no matter how much you've saved up, as a private buyer, you will never get into one.

This is the kind of thing that irks me. And I find it frustrating in the extreme. However, although this is the issue locally, I was posting here to see if this is also the national issue, or if the national issue has more balance to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Don't know what he's apologising for. She should be thanking the government and tax payers of this country for putting a roof over her head when she doesn't have the means to do herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

I asked is the legitimate issue behind the crisis, that Council houses are not readily available, or is this simply a skewered portrayal of the issue being presented on Boards.

I am only hearing, constantly, that the local Councils need to buy more houses/land. There doesn't seem to be an equal (or even noticeable) crisis being presented for those that are looking to buy privately.

My post is more to find out if my general understanding of the issue is accurate. If so, I find it irritating as many people, who work hard and have got the money for a deposit, are actually unable to purchase houses that are being built, if they're simply being built for Council tenants.

To add to that, Louth does indeed have it's own local housing crisis, but, locally, it does only affect council tenants. There are a fair few (arguably overpriced) properties for sale. But there is also a lack of council housing to house council tenants. So private buyers are alright, but those relying on subsidised housing are down on their luck at the moment.

There is, however, an estate being built right beside the large riverside park in the town. A literal 5 minute walk to the bus station (handy for Dublin Commutes), and also 5 minutes strolling to the town centre. Fantastic views of the river boyne, a large local park with playground and skate park less than 3 minutes walk away, and Fire and Garda stations both within a 5 minute walk. Also being built along one of the towns most popular walking trails.

These houses are council houses, so no matter how much you've saved up, as a private buyer, you will never get into one.

This is the kind of thing that irks me. And I find it frustrating in the extreme. However, although this is the issue locally, I was posting here to see if this is also the national issue, or if the national issue has more balance to it.

2000 new houses in drogheda are planned. It might help with supply issues when they are built.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/regionals/droghedaindependent/news/extension-of-plans-for-2000-homes-37325188.html

2000 new houses in drogheda are planned. It might help with supply issues when they are built.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/regionals/droghedaindependent/news/extension-of-plans-for-2000-homes-37325188.html

A huge load of houses, beat in on top of each other with no room to breathe. Lots of Council tenants added for the craic.

Sure how could that go wrong? :rolleyes:

EDIT: to add, i don't actually generally mind Council tenants. I was/am one in many ways. But all it takes is one dirty little scumbag and the whole estate is fcuked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

seamus wrote: »
    Eh, no. Yes, people used to live in tenements. And no, that wasn't OK. "People managed". That's a low bar for a modern society. Shouldn't we be aiming to ensure that everyone has a basic standard of living?

What are we defining as the basic standard of living though? There seems to be a wide variance between what most of us grew up with (3 bed house, 1 room for parents, 1 room for boys, 1 for girls, 1 bathroom for everyone in the family) and what the expectations are now (a solo bedroom for every child, multiple bathrooms).

When I first moved out of student accommodation (least said the better) and started working, I was renting a room in a house with three strangers. We had a bedroom each, and a bathroom between the 4 of us, and shared the kitchen and sitting room. At the time, sharing a 2 bed apartment with one (or maybe two!) bathrooms was something only rich people with big salaries could aspire to.

So, what would you consider as the basic standard of living for an adult with one child? For two adults with 2 children (both the same sex)? For one adult with 3 children (2 of sex a, 1 of sex b)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,622 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Now Varadkar apologises to homeless families
    isxoS5O.jpg?1

zell12 wrote: »
    Now Varadkar apologises to homeless families

How about some of those “homeless” families taking responsibility for themselves? Sick of reading about poor “Single” mothers having numerous babies by immaculate conception expecting others to provide a new house for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

There aren't enough houses to meet demand regardless of what income you have or your work status.

If we included everyone who has to sleep on a sofa in their friends house or the families that live with the parents parents etc the true homeless figure would be a lot higher

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

How about some of those “homeless†families taking responsibility for themselves? Sick of reading about poor “Single†mothers having numerous babies by immaculate conception expecting others to provide a new house for them.

Should they build these homes themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Wanderer78 wrote:

I think what the poster is saying is, if you're broke and homeless, it might make sense not to have a baby.

I think what the poster is saying is, if you're broke and homeless, it might make sense not to have a baby.

How many humans have been, and continue to be pre-planned, and should child raring be only allowed for certain income levels?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    How many humans have been, and continue to be pre-planned, and should child raring be only allowed for certain income levels?

Human beings are created by 2 people. The vast majority of homeless stories feature a mother and child/children. There are no excuses for more than one child being born into homeless. Personal responsibility should guarantee that. No matter what your culture or religion, there are ways of avoiding pregnancy. Personal responsibility on BOTH parents part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Human beings are created by 2 people. The vast majority of homeless stories feature a mother and child/children. There are no excuses for more than one child being born into homeless. Personal responsibility should guarantee that. No matter what your culture or religion, there are ways of avoiding pregnancy. Personal responsibility on BOTH parents part.

Let's take ErIca Fleming as an example - her child was around 8 or 9 years of age when they became homeless in 2015.

Erica became homeless because even inspite of working the rent levels increased beyond her ability to pay.

She only has ONE child.

She did nothing wrong up to the point of becoming homeless. She did the responsible things you want but still ended up with no home.

A parent can have a child on the basis that they have a home in 2018.

But next year they end up homeless because some landlord wants to sell the property.

the only problem with this logic is, reality can and is different.

another angle of this problem, i suspect very few, if any unemployed people were a part of the high level political and economic meetings that have helped to create our housing issues, in fact, id stick my neck out and say, no unemployed persons played any part in these meetings, ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Wanderer78 wrote: »

They can if they so wish or buy their house with a mortgage like the rest of us- of course that would mean working for a living rather than laying on their backs popping out endless children to use as welfare tickets.

Advertisement