Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

D&D Tutorial Game: Big Trouble in Little Nectopia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Necro wrote: »
    'There have been sightings of goblins in the forest. We are to patrol the areas nearest the town here and report back any sightings. I trust some of you are versed in scouting?'

He looks at Nuklok and Shaadyx in particular.
    OOC: Do tieflings have darkvision?

I nod to Shaadyx and to Harmsway then move out 50ft ahead of the party and start looking for signs of goblins.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

OOC: Yep

The party leaves the village, following the path south as it winds towards the forest, Shaadyx and NukLok about 50 feet out in front scouting for danger.

As the two reach a clearing just before the forest begins, Hemsworth calls softly.

'Hold up. We should check the area for any signs of goblin activity.'

OOC: Perception (Wisdom) Check, all of you. You can all roll a d20 here (command is #d20) if you know your modifier, add it otherwise I have it anyways.

Target is 15.

OOC: Goblins are my "favoured enemy" - Ranger feature and my background of Haunted One due to goblins. :) Can I use a Survival check rather than perception to check for goblin signs? Survival check allows me an Advantage roll.

OOC: Sure, go for it :D

OOC: Rolz an 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Guffy

Ooc: is there something extra to add on for darkvision other than modifier?

Rolled a 9

Guffy wrote: »

Rolled a 9

OOC: No unfortunately. Just means you can see in the dark

OOC: Nope. Darkvision is simply the ability to see in poor light. It can be used strategically by allowing a scout to move out ahead of the party and away from any torch bearers but it doesn't modify your roll (unless your GamesMaster magnanimously grants you advantage on a roll :D ).

As the group search the area for any signs of goblin activity, they come up with nothing (OOC: Basically none of the rolls were a success)

Hemsworth sighs and mutters to himself 'Bloody recruits.'

He steps forward and scans the area, checking each tree, looking at the ground.

'You are all new, and learning. Come, look here and you might all learn.'

He shows them a gnarled oak just before the path leads into the forest.

'See, look at the wood here, there are sword knicks. Goblins are oafish and clumsy, their weapons hit off this tree.'

Then he shows them a trampled patch of grass.

'Their retreat was hasty, scattered. They were running from something. Quite what... I do not know.'

He looks to NukLok.

'Lead on, let us see if your scouting skills improve as we progress.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

"What do you mean, we are all new? You're a cheeky bugger who's mother never put manners on. Is this your first rodeo? You have the command ability of a donkey arse!"

Hom curses at himself for missing the obvious tracks, scouting was never his forte though so he shrugs it off.

He was more concerned that the so called scouts of the company failed to spot the signs.

"Get yer heads in it lads, I don't want to be skewered in a bloody Goblin ambush" He tightens his grip on his shield hoping not to be in a situation where he is forced to use the healing potion from the tavern. "Gah i wish i punched that bloody Gnome in the nose and made him drink it himself", he thought longing for some piece of mind.

He'd wait until Nuklok used his before he could rest easy. Until then he raised his shield that little bit higher and followed after the scout, not to close mind.

I follow the signs as far as I can under Harmsways tutelage, hating the idea of being bested by anyone.

OOC: Rolz 22 (Advantage due to a Ranger feature) :)

sKeith wrote: »
    "What do you mean, we are all new? You're a cheeky bugger who's mother never put manners on. Is this your first rodeo? You have the command ability of a donkey arse!"

'I see you still have some of that dwarven resolve at least. Good, it will serve you well in the coming days'

The party continues into the forest, NukLok scouting ahead, his keen eyes following the trail made.

The path winds east and NukLok can make out a darkened copse of trees off the path on his left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

OOC: I'm pretty swamped today, may not get on until later this evening, so please autopilot me as necessary.

I signal an alert to the patrol to approach with caution, nock an arrow then hide in the shadows observing the copse.

OldGoat wrote: »
    I signal an alert to the patrol to approach with caution, nock an arrow then hide in the shadows observing the copse.

He can make out a smattering of various plants growing around the edge of the copse, no sign of anything else.

Captain Hemsworth moves up beside NukLok.

'How would you advise we proceed, ranger?'

Star wields his might Great Axe in anticipation of some action and joins the ranger and the hammer guy.

Hemsworth turns as Star joins them.

'Ah, dwarf. Your experience in combat may help - how would you advise we proceed?'

He can make out a smattering of various plants growing around the edge of the copse, no sign of anything else.

Captain Hemsworth moves up beside NukLok.

'How would you advise we proceed, ranger?'
    "Stealthily". I move into the woods.

OOC: Stealth (Dex) check to see if you make it to the copse un-noticed. Target 11

OOC: Roilz 12 By the skin of my teeth. My rolling today has been spectacularly poor. :)

NukLok moves as if gliding across the forest towards the copse. As he approaches he can make out white silken strands smattering within in a web-like fashion.

As he makes it to the copse he can now clearly see a cocooned figure in the centre.

I signal the rest of the patrol forward, quietly.

OOC: AFK for a few hours.

OOC: That's fine we can hold it there until more are active

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

Calippo pulls to the back of the group and sticks to only the darkest of shadows cast.

Hemsworth turns as Star joins them.

'Ah, dwarf. Your experience in combat may help - how would you advise we proceed?'

"Quickly and decisively., A good bit of screaming and shouting never hurt, let the enemy know exactly where you are and that you are coming for them, and its best if they just run or give up."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Clarabel

"My apologies on misunderstanding your talents Druid. I am grateful that we will have a healer amongst us.
    As for 'Grumps', you may use that if you wish but it is not my name. You speak Orc? Then perhaps you recognise that my name is Orkish, Nuk meaning Bad and Lok meaning Run. Goblin mothers tell tales to their spawn about the NukLok, a nightmare of fear, a bogyman if you will. I have taken the name NukLok from that childhood story to remind any goblins or orcs or bugbears that they are my prey. So, call me Grumpy if you will but I will not answer to it."

"Understood Grumps, I mean NukLok"

OOC: Do tieflings have darkvision?

I nod to Shaadyx and to Harmsway then move out 50ft ahead of the party and start looking for signs of goblins.

OCC - I do! *knows somethings* Whoop!

OOC: Yep

The party leaves the village, following the path south as it winds towards the forest, Shaadyx and NukLok about 50 feet out in front scouting for danger.

As the two reach a clearing just before the forest begins, Hemsworth calls softly.

'Hold up. We should check the area for any signs of goblin activity.'

OOC: Perception (Wisdom) Check, all of you. You can all roll a d20 here (command is #d20) if you know your modifier, add it otherwise I have it anyways.

Target is 15.

OCC - Can I run up the 50ft and walk with them to give them Guidance? This should increase their skill. Nevermind I was a few hours behind. However if i am touching someone I can use the guidance spell - I need to roll to see by how much

"Quickly and decisively., A good bit of screaming and shouting never hurt, let the enemy know exactly where you are and that you are coming for them, and its best if they just run or give up."

"I don't think that they have any fear in them, look at the situation we're in now, they know we coming and still haven't stopped pillaging. You think they just gonna run?"

/Stands tall

"They'll run when they see us "

Hom creeps up to Nok, "shut up", he snaps at the dwarf.

"What do you see?" Hom, squints in the daylight to try to make out what is in the trees, not hearing the clatter from a band of Goblins unsettles him.

Ooc: ok so do we assume that a character relays info shared by dm or do we need to wait to be told by the character?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Zahafdyke makes for the copse as silently as he can.

OOC: 20 on Rolz

OOC: Guffy, once you make it to the copse you will be able to see for yourself. However..... Drop and give me a d20 to see if you make it there stealthily :P Stealth (Dex) Check :)

Zahafdyke makes it to the copse silently and stands beside NukLok. His sight isn't as good but he can make out a number of strands on the outer parts of it, a few streaming down and anchored across the clearing like little tripwires.

Ooc: shoot misread the last post. Thought we were still a distance away :D

Hom loads an arrow into his crossbow before breaking into a light trot to catch up with the others. He tries his damdest not to be heard but the Ork half of him could have its limitations (dex roll 10??).

He closes in on the rest of the company and moves to the front raising his shield in one hand and bow in the other, he levels the bow at the tree line, waiting for any hint of movement so that he can release the bolt and arm himself again with his trusted spatoon.

Ooc: shoot misread the last post. Thought we were still a distance away :D

Hom loads an arrow into his crossbow before breaking into a light trot to catch up with the others. He tries his damdest not to be heard but the Ork half of him could have its limitations (dex roll 10??).

He closes in on the rest of the company and moves to the front raising his shield in one hand and bow in the other, he levels the bow at the tree line, waiting for any hint of movement so that he can release the bolt and arm himself again with his trusted spatoon.

OOC: Oh noes...

Hom in the midst of moving forward and loading his crossbow fails to spot one of the white strands across the clearing on the way to the copse.

As he steps through it, it snaps and the entire copse begins to shake.

NukLok is close enough to see the trees vibrate, and hears a branch snap before...

phase-spider.jpg

A monstrous spider bursts through the trees, fangs dripping with vicious poison.

It readies itself and charges directly at NukLok and Zahafdyke....

OOC: Initiative time.....

And now we move into the combat phase for the first time. So for initiative you roll a d20 and your dexterity modifier, to see who will go first

"It's in the trees, it's coming!"

OOC: I'll be back to this next Monday, sorry about the delay folks

"It seems to be stuck in the branches..." Calippo gasps.

"This might take a while" she thinks to herself.

OOC: Be thankful it's bullet time rather that bulette time. :)

636252765369632881.jpeg

OOC: sorry guys, I've completely neglected this thread. Will catch up today and jump back in :D

OOC: How many are around this morning so we can maybe get this spider tackled :P

OOC: I'll happily tackle one of the legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

OOC: Here now!

OOC: Ok, here's what I'll do - can everyone roll init and I'll come back to this when everyone has done so, we can proceed with babysteps so we're all in sync

Ooc: how many are we waiting on?

Ooc: Sorry folks, I dont spend much time on boards and solely visit it for this thread at the moment so unsure if there are conversations going on outside of it.

Has this been cancelled?

OOC: I was still waiting on an init roll from tusk but it seems he may have dropped out:(

Ooc. So sorry guys. A lot going on IRL and I'm not able to dedicate any time to keeping up with games right now :(

OOC: Unfortunately folks I'm going to have call a halt to this one. Have a few other things going on and can't give the commitment this deserves. Thanks for signing up though, hopefully we might get something going again in the future. Apologies for keeping you all hanging for so long.

It was fun while it lasted. Hopefully we can get around a table at some point for a live game. Cheers for that Necro.